Page 25 of 80 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 NCAA College Football

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    I wonder whether the Nebraska faithful are looking back and regretting running Solich out of town after a few 3 or even 2 loss years based on what's happened since. Always hard to follow a coaching legend.
    I always thought he got a bit of a raw deal, and the team became very average after he left. He has had a pretty good run at Ohio, although has never won a MAC title. His teams are competitive every year though.

1200px-Sebastian_the_Ibis.jpg

We don't have a prayer. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I was there with a friend of mine at BG who was from Columbus...
    BG? I assume you mean Bowling Green.

It was a party school when I visited.
    It still is. Even tho I'm an alum, I was only in Athens for two quarters. Most of my major courses I took at the branch campuses since I was living in Columbus, was married, and had a weekend job. So, I missed all the parties. Halloween is an even bigger deal than Springfest. Regardless, there are a lot of arrests that occur every year during those two weekends. But you ask any alum and they'll tell you it's always the out-of-towners that get busted.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I remember the whole mascot thing too......that did not show much class..........
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Ohio U is kind of in the same situation as Eastern Michigan here. Both schools have to live in the shadow of much bigger Big 10 programs just down the road.
    I'm not sure you can call Athens "just down the road" from Columbus, but I get your point. And you're right. But as I said, it's a David & Goliath situation (i.e. living in the shadow of OSU) and why OU students & alum thought it was so funny. Of course, that's also because Brutus didn't get hurt.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Isn't that where Frederick Douglas led a handful of soldiers into victory at The Battle of Bowling Green.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Regardless, there are a lot of arrests that occur every year during those two weekends. But you ask any alum and they'll tell you it's always the out-of-towners that get busted.
    Probably cuz the locals know where to hide the drugs.

B

I'm not sure you can call Athens "just down the road" from Columbus, but I get your point. And you're right. But as I said, it's a David & Goliath situation (i.e. living in the shadow of OSU) and why OU students & alum thought it was so funny. Of course, that's also because Brutus didn't get hurt.
    After looking at a map it looks like Athens is further away that I thought it was. In fact it looks like it is about the same distance that Western Michigan is from Michigan State to the Northeast and Notre Dame to the south. In the case of Eastern Michigan they are literally about a 10 minute drive from University Of Michigan's 100,000 seat stadium. Their football program is a tough draw.

Watching Auburn/Georgia. Should be a barn burner.

The college coaching carousel is absolutely nuts. Jimbo Fisher to TexAM, Scott Frost to Nebraska etc. The Tennessee situation is humorously pathetic. The money these schools are paying in coaching buyouts is obscene, especially in public universities where the coach is technically a state employee. What a waste of dollars that could be going to the schools academics or for student scholarships etc. You'd think they would understand how to negotiate better contracts than that.
    Now that the Irish are out, I'm just hoping Bama and Ohio St will be out of playoffs too. Will be good for them.

Just saw the final score of the UCF/Memphis game. I saw the first half and forgot about it. WTF?

Correct.

Halloween is an even bigger deal than Springfest.
    Yeah, my friend had been there for Halloween a couple times, and he told me all about it, but unfortunately we never made it down for that party.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    I'm just hoping Bama and Ohio St will be out of playoffs too. Will be good for them.
    I of course want the Buckeyes to win tonight and nail down the B1G title, but they don't deserve to be in the CFP and I don't want them to be. That should be earned, and as a Buckeye fan, I'm not interested in receiving charity. They didn't get it done this year. Man up, and come back next year. I'm not at all comfortable with them getting in because they're Ohio St. Whether most of Buckeye Nation shares that opinion...I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Just saw the final score of the UCF/Memphis game. I saw the first half and forgot about it. WTF?
    I was switching back and forth between it and the MAC championship game. UCF / Memphis went back and forth all game with pretty much no notable defense. It went to double overtime. Very entertaining game. UCF is basically where WMU was at this time last year as the Group Of Five Champion, and will get a New Years Bowl. Looks like their coach is leaving though.

Ooofff. Georgia kix Auburn's arse.

I of course want the Buckeyes to win tonight and nail down the B1G title, but they don't deserve to be in the CFP and I don't want them to be. That should be earned, and as a Buckeye fan, I'm not interested in receiving charity. They didn't get it done this year. Man up, and come back next year. I'm not at all comfortable with them getting in because they're Ohio St. Whether most of Buckeye Nation shares that opinion...I dunno.
    If Ohio State wins then UCF should get the fourth spot. You go undefeated you deserve a shot over two loss teams.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

You are a lot more fair minded and realistic than most Ohio St fans I know. The comm. will have a very interesting decision to make if Ohio St wins, especially considering the circumstances of last year.

C'mon Canes. Let's go.

C'mon Clemson have mercy.........

Is Wannstedt a yinzer, or what?

How many more wide open receivers can Barrett miss?
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    How many more wide open receivers can Barrett miss?
    I don't think it matters - they keep getting open. Wisconsin looks really overmatched.

I DVR'd the Badger game & I'm watching it now (11:05 left in 2nd qtr here). Didn't read any previous posts. Hopeful still that 14 points isn't insurmountable. See ya later either way.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Saw Herbie on ESPN at midnight. Wasn't exactly shilling for the Buckeyes.

Game just ended (for me). Good game. Shutting Taylor not down, but off, is the difference in this game.

Now who does Bucky get in the Orange Bowl?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    If Ohio State wins then UCF should get the fourth spot. You go undefeated you deserve a shot over two loss teams.
    It will never happen. Group of Five teams will never get a shot unless the playoffs are expanded. For those of us who are mid-major fans it sucks, but it is what it is at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post

Now who does Bucky get in the Orange Bowl?
    TCU or ND.