Page 20 of 80 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 NCAA College Football

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I think I do remember seeing that documentary. It has been a while, but I remember it being good.

Kind of a funny story here……..many years ago my wife and some friends went to the Wisconsin / Ohio State game in Columbus. We were tailgating before the game with a bunch of Ohio State fans. I got to talking to this OSU guy who had kind of a beret style hat on. We were just shooting the shit and it came up that I was from Michigan. The guy looks at me and with a big smile on his face says, “well then, let me take my hat off to you”. He then pops off his beret, and the whole inside of the hat was covered by a big yellow button that said “Fuck Michigan” on it. I thought it was pretty funny especially considering Michigan was not even playing in the game.
    Give any Buckeye an opportunity to display their hatred of Michigan and they're going to take it.

I was driving by the OSU campus one day, on High St, and saw some dude selling t-shirts that read "Fuck Michigan".

My favorite OSU/UM joke may be one that disses the Buckeyes but this is my favorite t-shirt:

Attachment 11020
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Give any Buckeye an opportunity to display their hatred of Michigan and they're going to take it.

I was driving by the OSU campus one day, on High St, and saw some dude selling t-shirts that read "Fuck Michigan".

My favorite OSU/UM joke may be one that disses the Buckeyes but this is my favorite t-shirt:

Attachment 11020
    It is pretty much the same here. Although Michigan has 5 Division 1 schools, the one thing they all agree on is that they all hate Ohio State.

Yes, there are a lot of good ones out there. I remember way back during the Bo Shembechler / Woody Hays years, there were several variations of T-shirts with "Let's Give Woody A Bo Job" on them. Just about every year there is a new version of the Ohio State Suckyeyes that comes out.

Just fight amongst yourselves, boys. The badgers will just wait until all the wolverines in the world die from horse-chestnut poisoning and then they'll take over the forest.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

It is pretty much the same here. Although Michigan has 5 Division 1 schools, the one thing they all agree on is that they all hate Ohio State.

There used to be a punk band in Columbus who called themselves The Bo Schembechlers. They were interviewed for the school paper, one year, and they were asked if Bo had ever heard of them. According to them he had and thought their name was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Just fight amongst yourselves, boys. The badgers will just wait until all the wolverines in the world die from horse-chestnut poisoning and then they'll take over the forest.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

There used to be a punk band in Columbus who called themselves The Bo Schembechlers. They were interviewed for the school paper, one year, and they were asked if Bo had ever heard of them. According to them he had and thought their name was funny.

I know Bo is considered a legend in Mich especially, but I always found it interesting that he never won a national title with any of those Michigan teams. Both he and Woody with their '3 yards and a cloud of dust" style generally had a hard time when they went out to the Rose Bowl and played USC, UCLA etc. And both Bo and Woody were hard headed as hell and not very adaptable at all.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    I know Bo is considered a legend in Mich especially, but I always found it interesting that he never won a national title with any of those Michigan teams. Both he and Woody with their '3 yards and a cloud of dust" style generally had a hard time when they went out to the Rose Bowl and played USC, UCLA etc. And both Bo and Woody were hard headed as hell and not very adaptable at all.
    Agreed, and that is why eventually everyone in the Big 10 moved to a more west coast style offense. On the other hand.......watching the Wisconsin / Michigan game this past Saturday was like going back in time to another era, especially the first 3 quarters.

Agreed, and that is why eventually everyone in the Big 10 moved to a more west coast style offense. On the other hand.......watching the Wisconsin / Michigan game this past Saturday was like going back in time to another era, especially the first 3 quarters.
    Yep, Wisconsin has done the old school style pretty well over the last few decades, but I am surprised that Michigan has struggled offensively under Harbaugh as much as they have sometimes.

Out of curiosity I checked the Rose Bowl results and man, for a time there in the 70s and 80s it is even worse than I remember it for the Big Ten.
    Between 1970 and 1987, Big Ten won only TWO Rose Bowls, one each for Ohio St and Michigan for a 2-16 record during that time. Ouch.

I wonder how well USC, UCLA and Stanford would have done had they had to make cross-country trips and play New Year's games in Detroit or Cleveland?
    However, Bo and Woody were not good at adapting, and usually didn't have QBs with the skill set necessary for drastic changes. In their defense, I don't really recall any coaches back then that were adept at adapting. Some coaches had more multi-faceted offenses, and that was their advantage against Big 10 teams.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I wonder how well USC, UCLA and Stanford would have done had they had to make cross-country trips and play New Year's games in Detroit or Cleveland?
    However, Bo and Woody were not good at adapting, and usually didn't have QBs with the skill set necessary for drastic changes. In their defense, I don't really recall any coaches back then that were adept at adapting. Some coaches had more multi-faceted offenses, and that was their advantage against Big 10 teams.

There is no doubt that the Pac 10/12 in the Rose Bowl, the Florida teams (Miami, FSU, Fla) in the Orange Bowl, the SEC in general in the Sugar Bowl, and the Texas/Okla juggernauts of past decades in the Cotton Bowl when that was a Big 4 New Years Bowl had clear home field type advantages over midwest/northern teams in those bowl games, ie Big Ten as well as Nebraska from the Big 8/12, Notre Dame etc. Nebraska had a terrible history in the Orange Bowl for decades until Osborne finally won his first NC. Some of those schools literally played on their home field in bowl games (Miami, UCLA, Texas etc). I said for years the same thing knowing it would never happen---lets see Bama, LSU, FSU, Miami, USC etc come up to Chicago in January and play a bowl game outside.

There is no doubt that the Pac 10/12 in the Rose Bowl, the Florida teams (Miami, FSU, Fla) in the Orange Bowl, the SEC in general in the Sugar Bowl, and the Texas/Okla juggernauts of past decades in the Cotton Bowl when that was a Big 4 New Years Bowl had clear home field type advantages over midwest/northern teams in those bowl games, ie Big Ten as well as Nebraska from the Big 8/12, Notre Dame etc. Nebraska had a terrible history in the Orange Bowl for decades until Osborne finally won his first NC. Some of those schools literally played on their home field in bowl games (Miami, UCLA, Texas etc). I said for years the same thing knowing it would never happen---lets see Bama, LSU, FSU, Miami, USC etc come up to Chicago in January and play a bowl game outside.
    It certainly is an advantage. There are really only two bowl games in outdoor northern stadiums (Potato Bowl In Boise and Pinstripe Bowl in New York), and one in a northern dome (Quick Lane Bowl In Detroit). I have sat through some horrendous weather at games up north (one of them this year) and it can be a totally different game. Plus going from playing in freezing conditions to playing in 80 degree or higher weather must be a shock to the system. I watched the MSU game this past Saturday (which is only about an hour from me) and the conditions were truly horrible. The southern teams rarely, if ever have to play in conditions like that.

...let's see Bama, LSU, FSU, Miami, USC etc come up to Chicago in January and play a bowl game outside.
    Bears repeating.

Just noticed Hurricanes are ranked 2nd. Not sure I like the pressure of being ranked so high. I'm expecting a win tomorrow but they'd better not take Pitt lightly. A perfect, regular season is good enough for me.

Auburn over Alabama this week
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Malik Rosier gets benched. We were due for a loss but I hoped it wouldn't be today. Shit.

Tough loss. They took the turnover chain and shoved it up our asses. I'm not disgusted but I'm disappointed.........lol

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Tough loss. They took the turnover chain and shoved it up our asses. I'm not disgusted but I'm disappointed.........lol
    So...the hats are all safe?
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Oh no. If I burn another hat it'll be a Dolphins hat. Disappointed but we still had a good season.

Just got home and turned on the TV. Hard to believe. I feel bad for ya, Vic.

Nothing to feel bad about. We had a good season. They were ranked higher than they should've been. They were due for a loss.

OMG!!!

Does this mean (pending Minnesota).....??
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    OMG!!!

Does this mean (pending Minnesota).....??
    Last year I was Rowing The Boat.......this year I hope Bucky kicks PJ's ass tomorrow.

Lets see what happens against Clemson. I just hope we don't get blown out. I've had enough of embarrassing blowouts with the Dolphins.

Oooffff. UCF coming back on South Fla.

So Fla ties it.

Tough to go undefeated among the power 5 conferences if you play even a decent schedule much less a tough schedule. Also shows re earlier discussion how southern teams don't do as well if they have to play a game north of the Mason-Dixon line in Nov or later--and it really wasn't that cold or bad weather. I don't think Bama has ever played a game north of the Mason-Dixon line Nov or later in their entire history.
    No tears for Miami here--still smarting over the smacking my Irish suffered a few weeks ago. Miami sure got up for that game.
    But where were all the ex cons today? Where were the sideline heroes and their swag and bling? Didn't see Ed Reed, Loudmouth Irvin etc. Got to bring it every week.