Page 1 of 80 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 NCAA College Football

2016 NCAA College Football

The year is starting promisingly - the NCAA's stunningly ridiculous scheduling of the semifinal playoff games on New Year's Eve - and the ensuing ratings disaster - has inspired at least a partial walk-back of the semifinal scheduling in the future.

We're still stuck with the nonsense again this year, though:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...year-eve-dates

Watching Ohio St - Bowling Green.

Michigan 49, Hawaii 0.

Gonna watch the U of Miami vs. Fla. A&M later.

I saw the Ohio St Spring game earlier this year, and was stunned by the speed and talent level. Even though they had lost a huge number of players to the NFL, I still was expecting very big things, based on what I saw. Then as the season approached, I began to read the pundits...one had the Buckeyes losing 4 games, and pointed to some precedent at Florida as "evidence." Most had them losing 1 or 2. However, on the season preview on ESPN, the 2 pundits there both had Ohio St in the final 4 playoff, and they didn't prognosticate beyond that. I was a bit relieved, as I was wondering what the pundits had seen that I hadn't.

Bowling Green is the defending MAC Champion, so not really a cupcake. They were huge underdogs in Columbus, but still regarded as a "good" team. Ohio St crushed them 77-10, with BG's lone touchdown coming on a pick-6 in the first quarter. The Buckeyes had over 700 yards of total offense, and they took out the starters with 6 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. The difference in speed and athleticism was massive. Curtis Samuels, the Buckeyes starting tailback (who is from Detroit and grew up as a Michigan fan!) was spectacular. Unbelievable hands for a RB, he caught everything that came near him, and some were not good passes. The defensive standout was Malik Hooker, whom Matt Millen was comparing to Ed Reed, based on tape. He had 2 picks and exceeded the hype.

The only weakness I saw was the backup QB, who looks about 5'10", and not an elite college player. I'm curious as to why Urb recruited him. If Barrett goes down, we're in trouble, but that's the only way I see a loss. This team is loaded. Loaded. I'm not homer guy when it comes to predictions, but...don't know how the seeding will go, but I've got Ohio St over Clemson for the National Championship, presuming all contenders stay mostly healthy. First statement game comes in 2 weeks, when they pound Okmulgee in their house.
    Last edited by moecurlythanu; 09-03-2016 at 07:23 PM. Reason: missed the s

Miami 28, FAMU 3. National Championship here we come.

Watched Stanford/Kansas yesterday - Christian MacCaffrey is a monster, if he keeps it up all year he should be a shoe in for the Heisman this year.

Miami 70, FAMU 3.

C'mon for Christ sake........lol

I saw the end of the Stanford game the other night. MacCaffrey didn't look like a Heisman to me, but YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I saw the end of the Stanford game the other night. MacCaffrey didn't look like a Heisman to me, but YMMV.
    you missed his initial return from the end zone, it was ruined by a penalty, but the run was spectacular. He ended up with 126 yards on 22 carries (5.7 per) and two touchdowns (it would have been three)

Upsets O' plenty this first week of action. Will be a lot of movement in the top 10.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Wow, Tennessee survived perennial giant killer App St. Luckily for the Vols, there were upsets aplenty this weekend and it was a good wake-up call, hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Wow, Tennessee survived perennial giant killer App St. Luckily for the Vols, there were upsets aplenty this weekend and it was a good wake-up call, hopefully.
    They were talking on ESPN radio and calling it a bad weekend for the SEC all around, excluding Bama and Texas A&M, with one to go tonight.

There's plenty of time left, but Olé Ma'am is whippin' up on the 'Noles.

There's plenty of time left, but Olé Ma'am is whippin' up on the 'Noles.
    There was plenty of time left.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Upsets O' plenty this first week of action. Will be a lot of movement in the top 10.
    I watched the end of that Texas-Notre Dame game. Very exciting finish, and it's always fun to see ND lose.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I watched the end of that Texas-Notre Dame game. Very exciting finish, and it's always fun to see ND lose.
    What's the definition of a touchdown catch in college football. The ND receiver caught the ball and had both feet on the ground before being sandwiched.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

GO BADGERS!!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Very excited to be seeing a top ten team this weekend. Ok, so the Dawgs are playing Nicholls St. between the hedges on Saturday, but it'll still be fun.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Just saw one of the greatest plays ever!!

Central Michigan is trailing #22 ranked Oklahoma State by three points. There is one final, untimed play.
    They throw a hail mary. It is caught, and the receiver immediately laterals it back to a teammate who makes
    it in the end zone, breaking a goal line tackle! Simply AWESOME!!!

^ Sounds like the old "Hook and Ladder" (Lateral) play.

^ Sounds like the old "Hook and Ladder" (Lateral) play.
    Yeah, but I never saw it done off a Hail Mary reception

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Yeah, but I never saw it done off a Hail Mary reception
    Yeah, usually it comes off a slant or a quick hook.

#10 Badgers as expected kicking Akron's ass. (40-10 near the end of the 3rd)

The other poll has them #16, which is closer to where they should be objectively (some of us can actually separate rooting & objectivity).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I am glad U-M won, but these powder-puff games are ridiculous. They've outscored their first 2 opponents 114-17. I'm glad the B1G is getting rid of games against St. Mary's of the Leaky Bladder and Monroe College of Cosmetology next year.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Hey Ed, here is your example of an official actually costing a team the game.....

The aforementioned Oklahoma State vs Western Michigan game. The amazing hail mary hook and ladder play
    should never have been run. Apparently, Ok had the ball the previous play and was penalized on the last play
    for intentional grounding, for throwing the ball deep and up in the air to kill the clock. That is a 15 yard penalty,
    and loss of down, so the officials gave W Mich the ball with one untimed play. However, according to league
    rules, any offensive penalty on the last play, which the infraction involves a loss of down,does NOT grant one
    more untimed play. Game should have been over after the throw away pass.