Page 10 of 80 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 NCAA College Football

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Howa Bout those Temple Owls?
    Great season. And they're "rewarded" with the Military Bowl, against Wake Forest, who went 6-6.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Bama
    Clemson
    Washington
    Ohio State

Just announced as your playoff teams
    Yeah, but the order is:

1. Bama
    2. Clemson
    3. OSU
    4. Wash

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Also, I would not be shocked if the rankings tomorrow are:

Alabama
    Ohio St.
    Washington
    Clemson

It's better calibrated for TV. Alabama/Clemson is a juicier matchup than Alabama/Washington, and a Ohio St./Washington semifinal has a better chance of producing the Bama/OSU final that the networks want, since OSU beating Washington is probably more certain than their beating Clemson
    So now that you know you're wrong about the rankings, I guess your conspiracy theory is wrong, too.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Great season. And they're "rewarded" with the Military Bowl, against Wake Forest, who went 6-6.
    Yeah, but it's Temple.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Shouldn't matter. They've put together two great seasons in a row.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Yeah, but the order is:

1. Bama
    2. Clemson
    3. OSU
    4. Wash

So now that you know you're wrong about the rankings, I guess your conspiracy theory is wrong, too.
    No, I was right about the rankings. They happened exactly the way I expected them to. All I said is that I wouldn't be shocked if it was in that other order.

The early lines:

Alabama -15 over Washington

OSU -3 over Clemson

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Most under rated team in college football IMO. We will be Rowing The Boat in Detroit next Friday night for the MAC Championship game. A once in a lifetime season, gotta be there. Everybody loves a Cinderella story right? The little engine that could. Row The Boat!
    Looks like the Broncos get Bucky in the Cotton Bowl.

A good day to make some popcorn.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Looks like the Broncos get Bucky in the Cotton Bowl.

A good day to make some popcorn.
    We were at the championship MAC game Friday night. What a blast. All time record crowd. WMU played one of their weakest games of the year, but was able to pull it off in the end. They will have to play better than that against Bucky. BTW, my wife is a Badger grad, so we are a house divided!

We were at the championship MAC game Friday night. What a blast. All time record crowd. WMU played one of their weakest games of the year, but was able to pull it off in the end. They will have to play better than that against Bucky. BTW, my wife is a Badger grad, so we are a house divided!
    I think you should plan a trip to Madtown so we can watch it together!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Pretty sure it's both.
    Yep. The Kansas City Chiefs intercepted a two point conversion and returned it for a safety today. Amazing.

Heavy early action has already moved the Alabama line to -16.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I think you should plan a trip to Madtown so we can watch it together!
    Not sure what we are doing yet. I have not ruled going to Dallas for the actual game. Laurel has a nephew and his wife who live about 15 minutes from the stadium and have invited us to stay with them if we want to come down. Not sure if we can work it out though.

Not sure what we are doing yet. I have not ruled going to Dallas for the actual game. Laurel has a nephew and his wife who live about 15 minutes from the stadium and have invited us to stay with them if we want to come down. Not sure if we can work it out though.
    Before this post I was just old. Now I'm old and potentially very jealous.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Pretty sure it's both.
    It has been a college rule for many years (I'd say at least 20), but a pro rule for only a few years (no more than 5).

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Heavy early action has already moved the Alabama line to -16.
    The line has now moved to Alabama -17

I would not be surprised to see Washington give 'bama a hard time. The huskies have historically done well, when they arent being given much of a chance - of course sometimes they just suck, which is NOT the case this year. I've only seen them a few times this season (try getting any college football teams from the West coast when you live in Tejas)

Anyway, I'll be watching, and hoping for a great game - and a great playoff.

Temple's coach, Matt Rhule, has agreed to become Baylor's coach after this season.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I would not be surprised to see Washington give 'bama a hard time. The huskies have historically done well, when they arent being given much of a chance - of course sometimes they just suck, which is NOT the case this year. I've only seen them a few times this season (try getting any college football teams from the West coast when you live in Tejas)

Anyway, I'll be watching, and hoping for a great game - and a great playoff.
    They were manhandled by USC ( a team that could give 'Bama a run for their money) and their passing game has been mediocre (credit the running game and Husky defense). Good news is Husky coach Chris Petersen is very good and has 4 weeks to prepare. Bad news is so does Nick Satan.

Multiple news sources in the state are reporting that PJ Fleck and WMU are very close to finalizing a new contract that will keep him here. He is already the highest paid coach in the MAC, but the new contract will give him a big boost equal to lower level Power 5 schools in money and incentives. If this is true it would really be something unprecedented for a MAC level school. Athletic director Kathy Beauregard is trying to benchmark WMU’s program with Boise State to try to become a sustained Group Of 5 power which is a rather lofty goal. Nothing is official yet, but we are giddy here in Kalamazoo. Fleck is not just another football coach. What he has done to galvanize this whole community and state has been an amazing thing. WMU has to recruit and compete against 6 other FBS schools within a 2 hour radius so the competition for players is pretty stiff. He will still probably eventually move on, but we are enjoying this run while it lasts, and hopefully it is going to last a few more years.

That's awesome, SS!

Happy for you (maybe-we'll see-not so happy for Bucky if this goes down & WMU's morale & adrenaline skyrockets!)

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Happy for you (maybe-we'll see-not so happy for Bucky if this goes down & WMU's morale & adrenaline skyrockets!)
    As much as I'm happy a MAC team is in a major bowl (altho, too bad it's not OU... go Bobcats!), I find it hard to believe WMU will give the Badgers a good game. Remains to be seen, obviously.

And, given the history of the Cotton Bowl, I find it odd there are going to be two northern teams in it. Also, it needs to be held in the Cotton Bowl, not AT&T Stadium.

And, given the history of the Cotton Bowl, I find it odd there are going to be two northern teams in it. Also, it needs to be held in the Cotton Bowl, not AT&T Stadium.
    The Cotton Bowl is one of the six bowls that host the NCAA playoff semifinals on a rotating basis. When not hosting a playoff game, the current selection criteria for the Cotton Bowl is: At Large Vs. Group of Five #1. Western Michigan is the highest ranked Group of Five school, so that's how they got into the Cotton Bowl. They probably paired them with a Big 10 team to give the game more regional appeal.

As much as I'm happy a MAC team is in a major bowl (altho, too bad it's not OU... go Bobcats!), I find it hard to believe WMU will give the Badgers a good game. Remains to be seen, obviously.

It all depends. If WMU plays as I have seen them play this year, it will be a competitive game. If they play like they did in the MAC championship, they will get beat. In my opinion WMU is significantly better than the Northern Illinois team that played in the Orange Bowl a few years ago. They have more depth and are definitely more well-rounded. David vs. Goliath, it will be interesting.

Regarding having two northern teams in the Cotton Bowl, yes it is a little bit disappointing. The MAC plays the Big 10 all the time. It might have been cool for WMU to play a team out of another conference, but what the heck. The fact that in the end this all came down to WMU vs. my wife’s alma mater is kind of surreal……

Here is a pretty good article the Detroit News put out today regarding the WMU coaching situation if anyone is interested: http://www.detroitnews.com/story/opi...igan/95312616/

As much as I'm happy a MAC team is in a major bowl (altho, too bad it's not OU... go Bobcats!), I find it hard to believe WMU will give the Badgers a good game.
    I think the Bronx can hang with Bucky. Should come down to the 4th quarter. I imagine Vegas will have the Badgers as a solid favorite, so it may be a good game to bet on.