Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Bandcamp appreciation thread

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Shriekback has a new album just coming out (called "Why Anything? Why This?") and I asked them via their mailing list if the album would go up on Bandcamp. Got an email back from Barry Andrews (which is the usual, and pretty cool!) saying it would probably go up on AWAL soon. I'd never heard of them so looked at their webpage. Anyone here familiar with them? Just curious. They take a 15% cut. Anyone know what cut Bandcamp takes? I think it's less but not sure. Maybe they don't want the album free to stream online, which I can understand, but I'd so much rather buy the album and have it available in my Bandcamp app.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Anyone know what cut Bandcamp takes?
    https://bandcamp.com/fair_trade_music_policy

For some reasons, this thread has escaped my radar since its birth

I use bandcamp to discover the music (I give a 7/10 for that use, because many bandcamp pages offer only one or two tracks to hear), and also to buy the CD (have no use for downloads, whether lossless or not), and only in one (very special) case, a vinyl album.
    For this later use, I must say that I won't give better than 7/10 either, because it presents the same problem than vendors: prohibitive postage costs, especially across the pond. I have made exceptions before (Ken with Agusa's latest), but let's face it , if it's going to double the cost of the CD; I will probably not go for it either.

FTM, I generally buy from BC from bands that are geographically close to me, because the shipping is lesser...

and for those other bands, I will find other distribution channels
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

^ If you have a phone that can run the Bandcamp app and has Bluetooth, and if your car has Bluetooth, it can be a handy way to listen to your purchases in the car. I do that a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

I use bandcamp to discover the music (I give a 7/10 for that use, because many bandcamp pages offer only one or two tracks to hear), and also to buy the CD (have no use for downloads, whether lossless or not), and only in one (very special) case, a vinyl album.
    For this later use, I must say that I won't give better than 7/10 either, because it presents the same problem than vendors: prohibitive postage costs, especially across the pond. I have made exceptions before (Ken with Agusa's latest), but let's face it , if it's going to double the cost of the CD; I will probably not go for it either.
    It may NOT work for you personally, But you are comparing apples to rocks.

While one can and often do sell physical items on BandCamp, that is not what it is supposed to be for or what its main function is.

It is a way to sell DOWNLOADS and cloud access to said downloads, and on that basis it works great for all parties.

Your complaining about postage rates in a thread about a downloading site is misplaced; NO ONE is going to find a solution you want for high postal rates. High postal rates simply ARE and you will have to deal with it or just put up with lack of access to the physical things you want. As long as you are expecting otherwise, you will be unhappy about something for which there is no solution possible from the people bringing you the things you want.

Let’s go back to how groovy BandCamp is now. It was and continues to be the ONLY bright spot for Cuneiform that I’ve experienced in the last 5 years.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I was going to post the same thing
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Discovered Khruangbin, a trio from Houston, Tx yesterday. Bought it really enjoy their sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    It may NOT work for you personally, But you are comparing apples to rocks.

While one can and often do sell physical items on BandCamp, that is not what it is supposed to be for or what its main function is.

It is a way to sell DOWNLOADS and cloud access to said downloads, and on that basis it works great for all parties.

Your complaining about postage rates in a thread about a downloading site is misplaced; NO ONE is going to find a solution you want for high postal rates. High postal rates simply ARE and you will have to deal with it or just put up with lack of access to the physical things you want. As long as you are expecting otherwise, you will be unhappy about something for which there is no solution possible from the people bringing you the things you want.

Let’s go back to how groovy BandCamp is now. It was and continues to be the ONLY bright spot for Cuneiform that I’ve experienced in the last 5 years.
    I've seen most BC band pages selling their vinyl and CDs, so for me, it is part of the deal.

And I gave 7/10, for both uses I have for it (so unlike your unfair assessment it does "work" for me), so it's positive feedback, which is +/- what the OP was asking for, isn't it??
    and yes, I write that bandcamp is unable to solve the postage rates, but that doesn't mean that I should convert to downloads. Call me the rear-guard fighter if you will, but I'd rather not go the computer-stored (and played) files

And yes, I read your thread about your new lead on the future of your label via Bandcamp and the releases you've recently achieved. I'm happy for you, but do I deserve your snarky comments?

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Discovered Khruangbin, a trio from Houston, Tx yesterday. Bought it really enjoy their sound.
    Great band.
    I've proposed them for inclusion in PA's database two weeks ago, but haven't received an answer (well didn't check this w-e).
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I captured this off the web several months back. I can't remember where. It really shows the differences in how much an artist makes from selling their music in different forms. (BTW, I prefer digital downloads from Bandcamp).

If an artist or band is unsigned, they can make the most money by selling a physical album themselves. That's because there's no middle man, so they earn 100% of the profits. But, putting together the upfront money to create a CD can be difficult for many musicians, so they turn to digital services. In that case, their best bet is selling album downloads with a distributor through cdbaby, ReverbNation or tunecore. With those services, the artist can earn $8.99 if they sell an album for $9.99.

Bandcamp is another good choice for musicians, because they can earn $8.50 for every $10 album they sell. Popular services like iTunes, Amazon and Google Play aren't such a good deal. A $9.99 album on iTunes will earn a signed artist just $1.11. Single track downloads that cost $0.99 will earn signed artists only $0.11 on iTunes, Google Play and Amazon.

Unsigned artists, on the other hand, can earn $0.69 per $0.99 download on iTunes.

Streaming services aren't a great deal for musicians, either. Unsigned artists earn $0.0179 per play on Google Play and signed artists take home even less, around $0.0073 per play. On Spotify, unsigned artists receive $0.007 per play, and signed musicians get $0.0011 per play.

Bandcamp makes money through their revenue share on sales, which is 15% for digital, 10% for merch. If an artist or label makes $5,000 worth of annual sales, then they are only charged 10% of the profit from digital sales.

I've seen most BC band pages selling their vinyl and CDs, so for me, it is part of the deal.

And I gave 7/10, for both uses I have for it (so unlike your unfair assessment it does "work" for me), so it's positive feedback, which is +/- what the OP was asking for, isn't it??
    and yes, I write that bandcamp is unable to solve the postage rates, but that doesn't mean that I should convert to downloads. Call me the rear-guard fighter if you will, but I'd rather not go the computer-stored (and played) files
    I dunno... It kinda seems like you're missing the whole point of Bandcamp, at least from where I sit.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I dunno... It kinda seems like you're missing the whole point of Bandcamp, at least from where I sit.
    I didn't say I used BC correctly in its intent/spirit.

I use it to buy the physical product directly from the artistes' BC pages (like I've done for Aranis in the last 5 years) whenever possible, without passing through all the intermediates, even if it does costs me 1.00 or 2.00 more than other channels. I like that idea, because they're getting 100% of the money of their product.

I didn't say I used BC correctly in its intent/spirit.
    "I like to compare apples with rocks."
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Does Bandcamp get 15% of CD sales as well as digital sales?

Does Bandcamp get 15% of CD sales as well as digital sales?
    They take 15% or 10% of ALL sales (physical items and digital items) depending on how much business you have done with them.

It starts at 15% (which is still reasonable, when you consider that iTunes or Amazon Digtal take 30%). It's pretty easy to get it down to 10% if you have an active few releases.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

In case you missed it:

2017 was another stellar year for Bandcamp, with double digit growth in every aspect of the business. Digital album sales were up 16%, tracks 33%, and merch 36%. Growth in physical sales was led by vinyl (up 54%), CDs (up 18%), and cassettes (up 41%). Revenue from the 3,500 independent labels on Bandcamp grew 73%, and more than 600,000 artists have now sold something through the site. Our publication, Bandcamp Daily, grew its audience by 84%, and all-time payments to artists through Bandcamp reached $270 million. We launched a new app for artists and labels, added gift cards, improved fan collections, held successful fundraisers for the ACLU and TLC, and we’ll soon mark six straight years as a profitable company that only makes money when artists make a lot more money.

Meanwhile, standalone music streaming companies continued to lose money in 2017, and industry-wide record sales continued to decline: in the U.S., digital album sales dropped 20%, tracks were down 23%, and physical sales fell 20%. The seemingly inevitable upshot of these two trends is that the majority of music consumption will eventually take place within the subscription rental services of two or three enormous corporations, who can afford to lose money on music because it attracts customers to the parts of their businesses that are profitable.

As we said last year, allowing the distribution of an entire art form to be controlled by so few has troubling implications, and those continued to play out in 2017. The streaming giants exert tremendous influence over what music gets heard, and must primarily serve their most important supplier, the major labels. The result is that independent labels, and especially independent artists, are far less likely to be discovered on those platforms. 99% of all streaming is of the top 10% most-streamed tracks, and given the majors’ control over the music that is promoted on streaming services (documented in the must-read piece “The Secret Lives of Playlists”), listening hours are likely to become even more concentrated at the top.

Per stream rates also continued their decline in 2017, dropping another 9%, which is the opposite of the this-will-all-work-out-when-we’re-big-enough dream once sold by music rental companies. This trend feels unstoppable given the effect of decreased competition on artists’ ability to set fair rates, but a ray of hope seemed to emerge two weeks ago when the U.S. Copyright Royalty Board ruled to increase songwriter streaming rates by 48% over the next five years. However, that’s an impediment to profitability that can easily be resolved by eliminating musicians altogether.

https://daily.bandcamp.com/2018/02/1...ear-in-review/

What I love about Bandcamp is being able to buy/stream odd rarities that I used to own and stream it anywhere from the internet and post it as birthday gags on Friend's Facebook pages:

Melba gets into an odd conversation with radio faith healer Steve Solomon about why the good lord answers some prayers for healing, and doesn't answer others.

From what I read on the Bandcamp site (for artists), CDs and LPs count as merchandise. The reason for the lower 10% fee for merch is that the artist has to fulfill the orders themselves, unlike digital orders (downloads and streaming) that are handled by Bandcamp. I have no first hand experience, but that's what I infer from their website (https://bandcamp.com/help/merch).

It annoys me when artists say their album is “now available from all download and streaming sites,” and it’s not available from Bandcamp. Fish just did this. Tsk!

Just bought a download of the latest one from Nodens Ictus (Ozrix offshoot) from BandCamp. Great album only marred by a Hillage-like guitar solo by Ed that really doesn't fit the vibe of the rest of the album. He's a one trick pony on guitar, I'm afraid.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Bandcamp finally added a Queue feature!! You can only put music you’ve purchased into your queue, probably a good idea!
    Nice going, Bandcamp!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Bandcamp finally added a Queue feature!! You can only put music you’ve purchased into your queue, probably a good idea!
    Nice going, Bandcamp!
    and shuffle it to create a random playlist. Looks like its only in the app not the regular website.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

^ That's too bad, but I guess not surprising.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Nice going, Bandcamp!

Still only supports portrait mode, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post

Still only supports portrait mode, though.
    Isn't that true of most iOS apps? Would be nice, though. (I should have said Queue was added to the iOS app - don't know about Android.)

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Isn't that true of most iOS apps? Would be nice, though. (I should have said Queue was added to the iOS app - don't know about Android.)
    I wouldn't know about the Apple thing. Based on your post I went to the Play Store and Bandcamp had an update, and voila--it has Queue. Thanks for the heads-up.