Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Roye Albrighton RIP

I was away at a conference last week & was unable to comment adequately until now. I'm a man of few words so, suffice it to say, I am saddened & a bit numbed. Another part of my youth has been extinguished. I am reminded, more acutely, of my mortality. I am also reminded of how much TODAY is important.

Don't put off. Reconcile now. Be good to each other. Choose wisely. Savor the moment.

My sincere condolences to his family & close friends.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

From the official site:

"It is with heavy hearts that we say goodbye to our friend, comrade, rock legend and father, Roye Albrighton, who passed away peacefully last night.
    May his six fingered chords and the warmth of his smile last eternal.
    - Che Albrighton

The loss of our dear & longtime friend Roye left us heartbroken & devastated.
    Our love & sympathy are with his family, especially his beautiful wife Lyn who took such good care of him through all those ups & downs & never gave up hope. And Big Bad Bill & "the Puddin'" who will surely miss their Dad.
    He left us way too early but his beautiful music & millions of memories will always be with us.
    "GOOD DAY" dearest friend - we will miss you forever!
    Now go & make some serious noise with Vinny!!!
    - Peter Lango

Roye, wherever you are, know that through all I have always loved you as a brother. There is a hole in the universe. I was always hoping we would get together one last time but always pushed it forward. Now that will have to be put on hold.
    - Derek "Mo" Moore

... I will always miss you Roye.
    - Ron Howden

Roye, I thank you so much for all these wonderful years of friendship and making music together. I will terribly miss your singing, unique guitar play and songwriting.
    Wishing you a good journey.
    - Klaus Henatsch
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'm playing all my vinyl Nektar albums (and playing bass along with them). They're all incredible. Played Sounds Like This today, love the live and raw in the studio playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Just to let everyone know that I am totally bummed out by the news, even if it wasn't entirely unexpected.
    His long and often painful fight was kept under wraps for years.... I respected his wishes for secrecy, despite thinking that Nektar fans would certainly have come through with prayers and sympathy if they had been made aware...
    Oh well. R.I.P my brother from the seventies, the legacy will live on through all the recordings from his long career both with and without Nektar.
    A STAR WENT DARK IN OUR SKY THIS WEEK.
    Thank you to everyone here for their thoughts... the pain is all over now.
    just to say Mick--thinking of you all.

I noticed that Mick's site, "The Nektar Project" is down. I hope everything's ok. If not, it's a sad time all around. Be well, Mick.
    Last edited by Casey; 08-03-2016 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toothyspook View Post
    Thanks for that article, TS. Some really nice details of his early bands and activity around Coventry.

No problem. Enjoyed reading it myself.

RIP. About two months ago I posted on a video that one of his solos was one of the best reasons for electric guitar.

Had the pleasure of interviewing Roye - a real gentleman. Quite a loss. He brought a lot of joy to my life. Rest in peace, good sir.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    From the official site:

"It is with heavy hearts that we say goodbye to our friend, comrade, rock legend and father, Roye Albrighton, who passed away peacefully last night.
    May his six fingered chords and the warmth of his smile last eternal.
    - Che Albrighton

The loss of our dear & longtime friend Roye left us heartbroken & devastated.
    Our love & sympathy are with his family, especially his beautiful wife Lyn who took such good care of him through all those ups & downs & never gave up hope. And Big Bad Bill & "the Puddin'" who will surely miss their Dad.
    He left us way too early but his beautiful music & millions of memories will always be with us.
    "GOOD DAY" dearest friend - we will miss you forever!
    Now go & make some serious noise with Vinny!!!
    - Peter Lango

Roye, wherever you are, know that through all I have always loved you as a brother. There is a hole in the universe. I was always hoping we would get together one last time but always pushed it forward. Now that will have to be put on hold.
    - Derek "Mo" Moore

... I will always miss you Roye.
    - Ron Howden

Roye, I thank you so much for all these wonderful years of friendship and making music together. I will terribly miss your singing, unique guitar play and songwriting.
    Wishing you a good journey.
    - Klaus Henatsch
    Thanks, Ron
    -Fred

Quote Originally Posted by regenerativemusic View Post
    RIP. About two months ago I posted on a video that one of his solos was one of the best reasons for electric guitar.
    Do you have a link?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Laura

First knew of them from hearing Remember the Future circa 1974, then I saw them onstage in the Bronx on their Recycled tour. They were damn good.

Anniversary today ?

^ Really? Thats a weird coincidence, I was listening this morning to Remember the future after eons since the last time...
    Seen them live a few months before Roye died, so it came as a complete shock as he looked fine and played phenomenally.

Bummer of a reminder. I can't believe it's been a year already.

Roye certainly had his share of character flaws, like the rest of us. But, he was a monster talent to the end.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

RIP Roye

Out of nostalgia, I visited the old Nektar web site and found a ? new live release?

http://www.nektarsmusic.com/nn/home/home_new.asp

https://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_no...language=en_GB

Not sure what to say about this, so I'll think on it a while.

I looked to see the new live release on Amazon. I'm glad the family &/or band members are putting stuff out there. Maybe, just maybe, Nektar will catch on as they should have. From the short pieces I could hear it sounds as if the band was playing well and the recording did them justice.

FYI The Live in Bremen release is the last performance of Nektar with Roye. I've always loved the band, especially the prog classics A Tab In The Ocean, and Recycled. Haven't heard this release yet, but am so glad I saw the band a few years ago during The Psychedelic-Space Tour. They were still great.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Wow. A year already. I was so gutted and shattered when Roye passed I couldn't even bring myself to post anything at the time. I've only wept at the passing of two musicians: Roye and Kevin Gilbert.
    In 2005 Nektar came to play Atlanta with Caravan, and I happened to be the custodian of the guitar and case that was being taken around the country and signed for Gary from Starcastle. That particular day was my first-ever visit to a psychiatrist, and I drove straight from the shrink down to the Variety Playhouse. I was so twisted up that I decided I wasn't going to even go to the show...I was gonna take the guitar down there, find Beth (Hi Beth!), give her the guitar to get signed, and go home.
    What prescient thought made me stop and buy a disposable camera on the way is still beyond me. "Something" told me to do it.
    So, I pulled into my usual hidey parking spot behind the venue, parked, looked over by the stage door, and sure enough, there was Roye standing there, in a Mack truck T-shirt. And fuck me as I sit here, I *knew* on my way there, that Roye would be "waiting" when I arrived.
    I had the extreme honor and pleasure of chatting with Roye for 15 or 20 minutes, and I can honestly say it was one of the highlights of my life. I got into Nektar in the late 70s when I was about 14, and the band was long gone....over the years he became my personal "guitar hero", and remains so to this day. Top 3 in my book, period, not to mention his beautiful, emotive, powerful, gut-wrenching vocals. He's top 5 in my vocalists, easy. Anyhow, ever seeing Nektar perform was a ludicrous dream, fulfilled by Chad and....other guy...name eludes me. I am forever in their debt for making that dream come true for me, by getting them for Nearfest.
    But, back to my story...I got to have a very nice, no-time-pressure conversation with Roye, and he was so sweet and down to earth (sorry), that he completely put me at ease. I told him about discovering Nektar around the time my mom died when I was a kid and how his music helped me through that horrible period of my life...and I even ended up telling him about my visit to a shrink a couple hours earlier! He was so kind and put me at such ease. I knew I was talking to the 'real' Roye.
    Anyhow, around this time Beth showed up, and I told Roye about the Gary guitar, and after the fucked-up day I'd just had I was gonna head home. This, I will never forget---Roye put his hand on my shoulder and looked me in the eye with that grin of his, and said "Look here Geoff. No fucking way you are leaving. If you stay for the show, I promise to blow your head off, mate". What could I say except "It's a deal"!
    At that moment, I was thinking 'this has been the weirdest fucking day of my life', when Beth (God love her) took my disposable camera and got two great shots of me and Roye, with his arm draped over my shoulders. She caught us in the middle of laughing about something, and took two shots of us that I will treasure for the rest of my life. And just to put the cherry on top, the night ended with several of us knocking back a few with Pye Hastings and Geoff Richardson. Quite a day.

Roye, I hope wherever you are, you have found the peace that I suspect eluded you here on Earth. I would have missed you as a brilliant musician who had such a huge effect on my life, but it makes me happy to be able to say I also miss you as a true gentleman. And still, my musical hero. Thank you, sir.

Great story! Thanks for sharing. I talked with him for a few minutes at NEARfest... but nothing like what you did! RIP, Roye.

RIP Roye. Remember the Future....

^Very nice story, Geoff. And thank you for sharing it with us. Believe me when I say that I know the feeling, right down to the marrow, of what it's like to find an unexpected lifeline during a low point in your life. That profound sense of relief and connection never goes away. Never, ever forget that. I'm glad Roye was there for you.

Here is nice clip of the original group with Roye showing off his rhythm and lead skills