Thread: The Worst Music Scores/Soundtracks For Otherwise Decent Films....

The Worst Music Scores/Soundtracks For Otherwise Decent Films....

I was watching Ladyhawke yesterday on cable, and it struck me how ridiculously bad the Andrew Powell/Alan Parsons score was. So bad, in fact, that it actually made it difficult to watch the movie. The movie itself isn't terrible, not Oscar-worthy, but Michelle Pfeiffer is as stunningly beautiful as ever and Rutger Hauer is, well, Rutger Hauer, and the actual cinematography is quite pleasing. It's just that horrid, incongruous to the time period, synthesized 1980's crap invading every scene simply destroyed my suspension of disbelief. Every time the music came around I was reminded this was a campy 1980s movie, and, Oh Lord! Please make it stop!

So, what's your crappy score or soundtrack?
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Rick Wakeman's s/t for Ken Russell's Crimes of Passion was fairly cheese-tastic, IMO...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    I was watching Ladyhawke yesterday on cable, and it struck me how ridiculously bad the Andrew Powell/Alan Parsons score was. So bad, in fact, that it actually made it difficult to watch the movie. The movie itself isn't terrible, not Oscar-worthy, but Michelle Pfeiffer is as stunningly beautiful as ever and Rutger Hauer is, well, Rutger Hauer, and the actual cinematography is quite pleasing. It's just that horrid, incongruous to the time period, synthesized 1980's crap invading every scene simply destroyed my suspension of disbelief. Every time the music came around I was reminded this was a campy 1980s movie, and, Oh Lord! Please make it stop!

So, what's your crappy score or soundtrack?
    Well, it's a matter of taste I guess. The score was made this way on purpose, as you can read in the liner notes of the La La Land Records-rerelease.

Mr lawyer know's what he is talkign about

Plenty of 80's films with cheesy synth parts. I have to give it more thought and yes it is a distraction. Sex, Lies, and Videotape..(IMO)...had a creepy soundtrack. It created a mysterious vibe more relative to what Jeff Grienke or Brian Eno would do. The movie was sometimes annoying....specifically the script, but some of the pieces were perfect for a horror film that would create mystery. Artist name was Cliff Martinez.

On a slightly different note:

I watched the 3-part mini-series Harley & the Davidsons last week.

Knowing almost nothing about motorcycles I was impressed with all of the hardships they endured to finally become a successful company.

While watching the series, I made a mental-note several times that the accompanying music sounded very out-of-step with the time period. Some incidental music sounded WAY TOO modern where a simple innocuous rag-time piece of music would have been more fitting. After I realized this, it really started to bother me and I began paying more attention to the soundtrack for "appropriateness"....It didn't really lessen my enjoyment of the story...I thought it was well done but the music "mismatch" was something I detected.

The soundtrack for 'Forbidden Planet'.

Absolutely awful. I know they were trying for a 'modern' sound, but their use of the Theremin absolutely SUCKED. It's just noise effects to me.

(rant over)

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post

Absolutely awful. I know they were trying for a 'modern' sound, but their use of the Theremin absolutely SUCKED. It's just noise effects to me.

(rant over)
    I believe that the FP soundtrack was the very first major motion picture that had a 100% electronic soundtrack (No acoustic instruments used at all)

That horrible 90s tendency to have shitty rap songs on the soundtrack of a comedy film, whether it was appropriate to the film or not. I liked both Addams Family movies, but the theme songs were dreadful. Especially the one by Tag Team for Addams Family Values, which I swear is called “Whoomp! The Addams Family! There It Is!”
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post

(rant over)
    I don't think there's Theremin on the FP soundtrack. http://www.synthtopia.com/content/20...-by-ben-burtt/

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I don't think there's Theremin on the FP soundtrack. http://www.synthtopia.com/content/20...-by-ben-burtt/
    Fascinating stuff.

Thanks for that link. Fine stuff indeed, but I can imagine that people confuse the sound with a Theremin.

Yes ! No Theremin involved ! Thanks for the correction.

Innumerable scores that attempt to emulate "exotic" non-western music.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

There was music in the film Ladyhawke? I've watched this movie several times and never noticed. Hmm, what could have distracted me?

michelle_pfeiffer1.jpg
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I finally had to answer "that" question from my 18-year-old son yesterday. Yes, that one: "Toto did the soundtrack for Dune?" I didn't know how to explain why. All I could do was acknowledge it, and say I didn't know why it wasn't done by someone like Brian Eno. He's seen the movie, but I guess he hadn't known or forgot that Toto was somehow involved. It was a little awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    I believe that the FP soundtrack was the very first major motion picture that had a 100% electronic soundtrack (No acoustic instruments used at all)
    ...and amazing it is!!
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx