Thread: Progressive Metal and Mellotrons

Progressive Metal and Mellotrons

I've never been a big fan of the prog metal sub-genre, but I do have a few exceptions. I'll never like growling vocals, or guitars that are just too crunchy-loud. But when I hear a symphonic element to prog-metal, that can grab my ear, especially if the beloved mellotron is used. That is what really turned me on to Opeth and Katatonia. Can anyone please tell me of more bands in a similar vein? Thanks!
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Banned
    Perihelion Ship A Rare Thunderstorm in Spring

Bandcamp link

Personnel:
    Andreas Hammer - Guitar, Vocals
    Jani Konttinen - Hammond Organ, Mellotron
    Jouko Lehtonen - Bass Guitar
    Jari-Markus Kohijoki - Drums

released January 20, 2016

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    A friend just turned me onto Swedish prog metal band Ghost's newest "Meliora". I hear some 'tron and other symph elements that keep me coming back for more. And clean vox. And harmonies and massed vocals. Me likey.

I hear a bit of 'Tron in some current indie rock but rarely in metal. I never understood why prog metal bands used cheesy sounding digital synths instead of more meaty sounding Hammonds or mini-Moogs. Imagine putting an organ or monophonic synth through distortion pedals? Some of the heaviest stuff I've heard had no guitars at all, it was all distorted bass and bass-y synths.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post

Bandcamp link

Personnel:

This is exactly what I don't like, no thanks!
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    I hear a bit of 'Tron in some current indie rock but rarely in metal. I never understood why prog metal bands used cheesy sounding digital synths instead of more meaty sounding Hammonds or mini-Moogs. Imagine putting an organ or monophonic synth through distortion pedals? Some of the heaviest stuff I've heard had no guitars at all, it was all distorted bass and bass-y synths.
    Weight? Expense? Reliability? That the musicians aren't even familiar with those old-school instruments, or consider them dated? Many possible reasons.

Or perhaps that current-day metal is almost entirely guitar-oriented - and even in prog-metal, the keyboardist is usually an afterthought and may not even be a live player. Note that even in Dream Theater, Jordan entirely plays second fiddle to John P. (as does everyone in the band). He uses mostly (sampled) piano, (modeled) lead synth, various digital synth pads, and synth parts that double the guitar. Very rarely does he use the kind of Jon Lord Hammond sound that can meet the lead guitar as an equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Weight? Expense? Reliability? That the musicians aren't even familiar with those old-school instruments, or consider them dated? Many possible reasons.

Or perhaps that current-day metal is almost entirely guitar-oriented - and even in prog-metal, the keyboardist is usually an afterthought and may not even be a live player. Note that even in Dream Theater, Jordan entirely plays second fiddle to John P. (as does everyone in the band). He uses mostly (sampled) piano, (modeled) lead synth, various digital synth pads, and synth parts that double the guitar. Very rarely does he use the kind of Jon Lord Hammond sound that can meet the lead guitar as an equal.
    It's interesting how the "trend" decides what is dated and what is not. A Hammond Organ is dated, but an electric guitar is not dated? An electric bass is not dated but a Moog synth is dated. Drum machines are on tour now with indie rock bands while real drummers playing acoustic kits are dated.

Electronica music is "modern" even though it has changed little in the last 30 years within popular culture.
    When will rap and hip hop be "dated"? When will electronica or music made with computers be archaic and dated?

When do the instruments used in the symphony get tossed in the garbage for being outdated and archaic?

Why does an instrument need to have 3000 sounds in a bank to sound good and be relevant?

Banned
    Code Mut

Bandcamp link

Released February 27, 2015

Banned
    Tungsten The Reservoir

Bandcamp link

Released January 14, 2014

it's a bit of a stretch to call these bands prog metal but...

Tilion - 680819DP
    Tilion - Nocturnal (II. Part Two)

Osada Vida - Three Seats Behind A Triangle

Presto Ballet - Peace Among The Ruins

i.ain't.dead.irock

Banned

Morte Macabre Symphonic Holocaust
    Released on the label Mellotronen, 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post

Bandcamp link

Personnel:

Thanks for sharing this they are great!!
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

Not sure that Morte Macabre is metal. It's dark and it's heavy, and the thing is absolutely drowning in mellotrons (gotta have the aquatic reference), but not metal.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    I've never been a big fan of the prog metal sub-genre, but I do have a few exceptions. I'll never like growling vocals, or guitars that are just too crunchy-loud. But when I hear a symphonic element to prog-metal, that can grab my ear, especially if the beloved mellotron is used. That is what really turned me on to Opeth and Katatonia. Can anyone please tell me of more bands in a similar vein? Thanks!
    Here are two more for you not to like...

http://vicisolumrecords.com/album/skein-syndrome
    https://lasersedge.bandcamp.com/albu...dream-gone-mad
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffo621 View Post
    Not sure that Morte Macabre is metal. It's dark and it's heavy, and the thing is absolutely drowning in mellotrons (gotta have the aquatic reference), but not metal.
    Well, the conundrum is this:

OP: I don't really like metal, but I DO love symphonic prog...so, find me metal that isn't actually metal (i.e. sans metal guitars and vocals) but does have symphonic prog elements.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Well then:

Alamaailman Vasarat or their "sister band" Hoyry-Kone

Distorted Cellos that sound like heavy metal guitars, classically trained musicians, Iron Maiden covers and "hair" solos by the trombone player:

Last edited by jeffo621; 07-25-2016 at 09:48 AM.

Well then:

alamaailman vasarat
    LOVE those guys
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Indeed. Great to see in concert too. ISTR that they would introduce songs as a "very happy piece" and then proceed to play a dirge.

My mistake with the Morte Macabre reference was misreading the initial post and thinking it had to be metal bands that used mellotrons.

Indeed. Great to see in concert too. ISTR that they would introduce songs as a "very happy piece" and then proceed to play a dirge.

My mistake with the Morte Macabre reference was misreading the initial post and thinking it had to be metal bands that used mellotrons.
    This thread (IMHO) will be going off the rails pretty quickly, between the OP's not really being interested in prog metal as much as just dark symphonic prog with lots of 70's love, and Svetonio's knack for inundating threads with tons of YT videos, regardless of their relevance.

So, fark it all...post whatever we want, I guess

For example, I love these guys (and they have a connection to Wobbler, just to confound the sympho-purists!):

I think the vocalist for In Lingua Mortua will have people racing for the exits, John!

I also think that the Presto Ballet posted above (#10) could be a contender for what the OP might be looking forward, but the guitars are pretty modern 'crunchy'.

Morte Macabre (post #11) might not be metal, but they have that melancholic feel that much of Opeth and Katatonia have.

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    I think the vocalist for In Lingua Mortua will have people racing for the exits, John!
    As if a bad thing!

The thing I like about In Lingua Mortua is all the little textures and nuances that become more apparent on each listen, especially with the keyboards.

Stand tall and face the harsh vocals!

Viking-statue.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    Stand tall and face the harsh vocals!

Viking-statue.jpg

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    (...) and Svetonio's knack for inundating threads with tons of YT videos, regardless of their relevance. (...)

Banned
    After The Sea by Ančma

Bandcamp link

Released February 17, 2017

Personnel:

Dario Giannė - 5 strings Bass Guitars , Keyboards&Synth, Mellotron, Rhodes, Hammond, Moog
    Lorenzo Giannė - Lead&Rhythm Electric Guitars, 8 stringe Electric Guitar, 12 stringe Acoustic Guitar, Keyboards, Mellotron (Track 6, Track 9) , Backing Vocals (Track 4)
    Baco Dė Silenzio - Lead&Backing Vocals
    Salvo Crucitti - Drums