Thread: The most UN- album in a band's catalog

The most UN- album in a band's catalog

A spinoff of the "Most UN- song" thread. Name the one studio album in a band's career that is the most unlike anything else they've done. An album that would be the least-representative of the band's overall sound or style. Some bands may not qualify.

Rush - Vapor Trails
    Rolling Stones - Satanic Majesties Request
    Elvis Costello - Almost Blue
    Humble Pie - Eat It
    Kiss - The Elder
    Raven - The Pack is Back
    The Clash - Sandinista
    Last edited by Garden Dreamer; 07-23-2016 at 11:28 AM.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

This one comes to mind from The Black Crows. It is pure disco, very different from the blues rock that they usually do, yet somehow it works:

Steve, are you posting an album or a song? This thread is for entire albums; the other one for individual songs.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Rush, Hold Your Fire.
    this is a very different album in that the production, lyrics and writing align creatively together more then any other album.
    they took the 'techno-rock' of the 80's to the max on this one. this is a reason why many people and fans don't like this album.
    to be honest, if you give this one a chance it will grow on you. it's very under rated and even the band themselves aren't happy with it.
    tracks like Mission, Force Ten & Time Stand Still seem mediocre at first, but when performed live they are received very well by the fans.
    HYF is my favorite Rush album because it's something out of left field, it strikes a chord lyrically and musically equally.
    if you're in doubt, just take it out once in a while and give it a listen....IT WILL GROW ON YOU.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    Rush, Hold Your Fire.
    this is a very different album in that the production, lyrics and writing align creatively together more then any other album.
    they took the 'techno-rock' of the 80's to the max on this one. this is a reason why many people and fans don't like this album.
    to be honest, if you give this one a chance it will grow on you. it's very under rated and even the band themselves aren't happy with it.
    tracks like Mission, Force Ten & Time Stand Still seem mediocre at first, but when performed live they are received very well by the fans.
    HYF is my favorite Rush album because it's something out of left field, it strikes a chord lyrically and musically equally.
    if you're in doubt, just take it out once in a while and give it a listen....IT WILL GROW ON YOU.
    I agree it's a great album, but I don't see it as very different from Power Windows or Presto - not a drastic difference anyway.

Pat Metheny--Zero Tolerance For Silence
    Vangelis--Beaubourg
    Steve Hackett--Metamorpheus
    Glasshammer--TMA2
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I agree it's a great album, but I don't see it as very different from Power Windows or Presto - not a drastic difference anyway.
    I don't think latter-day Rush really qualifies, personally- they kind of become a 'reliable brand' somewhere in the late 80s for me, not that much change in the sound from album to album. Hold Your Fire never struck me as a particular departure, I suppose the presence of a guest vocalist on one track was different but other than that, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Steve, are you posting an album or a song? This thread is for entire albums; the other one for individual songs.

Oops.....I think I posted this on the wrong thread.

Lou Reed - Metal Machine Music
    Ween - 12 Golden Country Greats
    ELO - S/T First Album - ('No Answer' in the US)

Genesis - From Genesis to Revelations
    The Pretty Things - st
    Neil Young - Everybody's Rockin'
    Gentle Giant - Citizen
    Jethro Tull - Under Wraps
    Rush - st
    Bob Dylan - Nashville Skyline
    The Byrds - Sweetheart of the Rodeo
    Zappa/MOI - Cruising with Ruben and the Jets
    Opeth - Heritage
    The Ramones - End of the Century
    Yes - Heaven & Earth
    Soft Machine - Land of Cockayne
    Led Zeppelin - In Through the Out Door
    Brand X - Is There Anything About

ZAZEN - Mystery School
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

you guys took all the good ones lol

REM - Monster
    Blackfoot - Vertical Smiles

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Genesis - Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Stevie Wonder - Journey Through the Secret Life of Plants

Rush, Hold Your Fire.
    I agree that this one sort of stands on its own, meaning that certain Rush albums seem to go together as a pair but I don't link this one with Power Windows preceding it or Presto following it. It's unfortunate that they were still writing good songs that suffered from poor production once Terry Brown was let go - as you mentioned the songs on here (as well as Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows) were much more powerful live. It still retains the over-the-top keyboards of PW in spots, and introduces the more sensitive kind of lyrics that would appear on subsequent releases. And while Geddy has done chording on other albums, his style on this one was influenced by his listening to Jeff Berlin, and it lasted all of one album as it didn't carry over to Presto. HYF is a contender, but I still feel Vapor Trails is the most unlike any other Rush album.

Rush, Hold Your Fire.
    I agree with 100%. It is arguably their most cohesive album and my personal favorite.

For me, Signals through Hold Your Fire was a stretch of albums that are pure ear candy. Many great albums before and after, but I think of that whole stretch as all going together, and all equally good.

Joan Baez: Baptism
    Pat Boone: In a Metal Mood
    José Cid: 20000 anos depois entre Venus e Marte
    Gentle Giant: Civilian
    Nona Hendryx: Skin Diver
    Elton John: Victim of Love
    Kenso: Esoptron
    Libra: Schock
    Lucifer’s Friend: Banquet
    Ethel Merman: The Ethel Merman Disco Album
    Popol Vuh: Affenstunde
    Ruphus: Ranshart
    Buffy Sainte-Marie: Illuminations
    Savage Rose: Dødens triumf
    Jane Siberry: Maria
    Yma Sumac: Miracles
    Supertramp: 1st
    Utopia: Deface the Music
    Neil Young: Trans
    Frank Zappa: Cruising With Ruben & the Jets
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Joan Baez: Baptism
    Pat Boone: In a Metal Mood
    José Cid: 20000 anos depois entre Venus e Marte
    Nona Hendryx: Skin Diver
    Elton John: Victim of Love
    Kenso: Esoptron
    Libra: Schock
    Lucifer’s Friend: Banquet
    Ethel Merman: The Ethel Merman Disco Album
    Ruphus: Ranshart
    Buffy Sainte-Marie: Illuminations
    Savage Rose: Dødens triumf
    Jane Siberry: Maria
    Yma Sumac: Miracles
    Utopia: Deface the Music
    Is Trans that different from Landing on Water?

While we're at it:

Mel Torme - Tribute to Scraping Foetus Off The Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Much to say about these... Zappa was always a do-wop fan, so it's not a surprise he does it for a full album. There are many more-surprising albums in his discography than this one
    Totally agree with Trans, but Supertramp's debut is not un-Supertramp at all, IMHO.... if anything Indelibly Stamped or Free As A Bird are
    Likewise, I'd point Giant For A Day, rather than Civilian
    And Affenstunde, while not representative of PV's overall sound, it's still their debut... and not the only one sounding like it (the second is also more or less the same).... Anyway, does PV has an un-PV-like album, given that they were all over the place?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Is Trans that different from Landing on Water?
    Trans is a total shocker, much more than his other un-Neil 80's albums... It's really nothing to do with the usual NY sonics... even more so at the time, but it's still one of a kind.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Much to say about these... Zappa was always a do-wop fan, so it's not a surprise he does it for a full album. There are many more-surprising albums in his discography than this one
    Totally agree with Trans, but Supertramp's debut is not un-Supertramp at all, IMHO.... if anything Indelibly Stamped or Free As A Bird are
    Likewise, I'd point Giant For A Day, rather than Civilian
    And Affenstunde, while not representative of PV's overall sound, it's still their debut... and not the only one sounding like it (the second is also more or less the same).... Anyway, does PV has an un-PV-like album, given that they were all over the place?

Trans is a total shocker, much more than his other un-Neil 80's albums... It's really nothing to do with the usual NY sonics... even more so at the time, but it's still one of a kind.
    I've never heard it, but people seem to hate PVs "Sing, For Song Drives Away The Wolves"