Thread: FEATURED CD: Needlepoint - Aimless Mary

FEATURED CD: Needlepoint - Aimless Mary

This release by Needlepoint in 2015 perhaps gets an award for most "under the radar awesome release". This should whet the appetite of fans of old school progressive rock. The end result is an eclectic mix of Canterbury, organ driven jamming, and remnant of some lost recording from 1969.

Review from Luna Kafe:
    Needlepoint is the baby of guitarist and vocalist Bjørn Klakegg, known from numerous jazz constellations and session man on several AOR-oriented releases in Norway. Steady and sturdy bass player Nikolai Hængsle Eilertsen (of BigBang and The National Bank, last heard with Møster! and Elephant9) has been involved since the jazzy and instrumental debut album The Woods Are Not What They Seem in 2010. Experienced session keyboard player David Wallumrød joined for the second Outside The Screen (2012), closer to what we're dealing with now, but with some hilarious improvised, I guess, jazz excursions. Drummer Olaf Olsen (also BigBang) is the newcomer on the third and new one, the best so far, if you ask me.

With Aimless Mary, Bjørn takes us back to his days as a teenager in the 1970s and leans on progressive rock with tendencies towards jazzier terrain in some of the instrumental passages. Well, that's of course customary when we deal with prog-rock. Most of the songs are quite calm, though not laid-back. Bjørn's voice is calm, too, without any vibrato or other gestures. It sometimes reminds me of Richard Sinclair's (Caravan, Hatfield And The North) or Andy Latimer's (Camel) way of singing and suits the songs very well. Some of the keyboard (especially the electric piano) and guitar playing and melody lines bring memories of the quick intonation of the great and late Gentle Giant, but without the neck-breaking breaks. Anyhow, not the worst progressive prog-rock orchestras to be compared with. On the contrary, if you ask me.

The title track starts as a sad little melodic pop gem, close to a ballad, Bjørn's vocals only accompanied by exquisite guitar and electric piano playing close to Gentle Giant before the song slowly gains some more power in the instrumental part with a blistering guitar solo. The same goes for "Why" to some extent, with a bit quirky keyboards underneath and another great guitar solo. The Hammond excesses thereafter is a bit too much for me, though. Too much traditional slightly distorted Hammond sound of the r'n'b-standard from the 1960s and a bit table music alike melody. It's my only minor objection of the contents of the album. The other balladry tracks have more traces of jazz, but not a lot. "Half Awake" is the favourite among them with some great curling guitar and a cool/groovy instrumental part, even a bit funky with drums and organ at the fore! The highest highlight is when the band really takes off in a great instrumental and half-instrumental section with floating guitars and keyboards over a quick pulsating rhythm in the otherwise pretty and neat "Soaring". It can match the best to come out of the German kosmisches kraut or the space excursions of the great but still not late Gong of their heydays in the 1970s. Soaring, indeed!

There's only one thing that seems amateurish with Aimless Mary, the album's front cover drawing. I wish they had gone for an illustration inspired by something else than the lyrics about poor Mary, at home after her daily route walking from bar to bar...

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Its a wonderful album, just like their previous album !

Love this disc...
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

Excellent work!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I've sampled these guys before, but thought I'd do a deeper dive this morning. I listened to six songs from Aimless Mary and a couple of older tracks. The older tracks seem to be a bit more instrumentally focused compared to Aimless Mary, but maybe that was just luck of the draw.

I like this band's basic sound, they have a very organic feel. Love the old school drums and bass, and obviously the keys are sublime. Vocals are a bit of an acquired taste. At times the guy reminds me of Kerry Minnear, particularly on the track Aimless Mary (which coincidentally has a very GG-like part in the middle), but I don't think his intonation or voice generally are as good. So that's something of a distraction for me.

Overall, though, I just kept wanting the band to stretch out more, have a little more compositional diversity, vary the dynamics, and get a bit more intense with the solos. The end of Shattered Into Memories was awesome, but it's short and rarely repeated in the stuff I listened to. If they had more moments like that I think I'd find this less "samey-sounding." Obviously this isn't what this band is shooting for, and that's fine, but it's just not something that I think would really hold my interest much. It's the same reaction I have to a lot of this late 60s "Proto-Prog" or "Vertigo" stuff, just not quite enough firepower to for my tastes, though I often like the basic sound. So it goes.

Bill

^ They stretch out plentifully in performance, believe me!

Both of their latest two albums have been excellent. Great, great band - and very consciously "retro" as specific style.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Love this album, my favorite from last year.

Interesting mix, drums in left channel, very organic and retro, like unearthing a long lost brilliant proto prog /psych album from 1971.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Overall, though, I just kept wanting the band to stretch out more, have a little more compositional diversity, vary the dynamics, and get a bit more intense with the solos. The end of Shattered Into Memories was awesome, but it's short and rarely repeated in the stuff I listened to. If they had more moments like that I think I'd find this less "samey-sounding."
    I'm with Bill. I tried really hard to get into this album because so many people I knew liked it, but I've just never been able to get it to click. It's nice, but just doesn't have the depth I'm looking for. I know from experience this is one of those albums I'd never end up playing much after the initial spins once it first came in.

I've played their album a few times on Youtube, but ultimately am deciding not to buy. Too "retro-prog" to be a keeper for me, but I do think that they hitting the sound that they're after quite well.

Banned
    A pleasant retro-prog album indeed.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    For some reason, I've never really been able to really connect with the Canterbury sound. I've listened a few times to tracks from this album, and things haven't much changed for me, I'm afraid. Things are pleasant, and vaguely interesting, but no "click." This says more about me than the music, surely. I've been on the outside looking in before, only to eventually break through to some serious enjoyment. Right now, though, not so much.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

I was not impressed with this. Pleasant retro but not much more.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

To these ears its not retro.
    Its a blend inspired by a lot of styles, jazz, fusion, singer-song, gg, canterbury, soft machine - but they did something on their own.
    Their first album is jazz fusion, Wayne Krantz sort of way.

I'm very interested on getting to know this band better.

They seem to have some new kind of distribution now. The Album is offered as an end of August new release here (Germany) in about
    every larger CD Mail Order shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Its a blend inspired by a lot of styles, jazz, fusion, singer-song, gg, canterbury, soft machine - but they did something on their own.
    Their first album is jazz fusion, Wayne Krantz sort of way.
    While essentially spot on, the retro fabric is admitted by Bjørn Klakegg himself to the extent that his band mishmashes what he sees as the influences which shaped him during his youth - i.e. in the 70s. I think this understanding - that the band's protagonist somehow creates music on "organic" and thus temporally authentic ground - makes for the fact that while always sounding strangely reminiscent of something, you can never really tell whom. If anything, Klakegg's stuff is very "Scandinavian" in its interpretation of various impulses. Hell, even the accented English fits the scripture.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

A very solid release and one of my favorites from last year.