Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thank You Scientist, new track from upcoming album Stranger Heads Prevail

Really glad to see this thread pop up again. For my $$, Stranger Heads Prevail is hands down the best new album this year by ANY band, prog or otherwise. Like I said earlier, if one of the old Dinosaurs did an album this good... BOOM, heads would explode, fingers would bleed from all the furious typing and from the flood of gushing, this site would be declared a disaster area.

I get why some won't like the album, the singer could be a deal breaker for people, but instrumentally...these guys are pretty friggin' solid and very, very creative. As for the 'compression' issue, I don't get that at all...it sounds fantastic, and that's what tone and volume controls are for.

Here's to at least getting this thread to a page two for a band who well deserves the attention from us who truly have progressive ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Geech View Post

I get why some won't like the album, the singer could be a deal breaker for people, but instrumentally...these guys are pretty friggin' solid and very, very creative. As for the 'compression' issue, I don't get that at all...it sounds fantastic, and that's what tone and volume controls are for.
    I completely agree about using the volume control...which is why there is no reason for those producing the recording to try to make the music louder. I like reasonably loud music. But I like loud and clear, not loud and distorted. If I turned TYS down enough, maybe you'd have a point and I'd be able to tolerate hearing an entire album in one sitting (I'm not sure, having never tried turning it down far enough to make that possible)...but then I'd lose out on some aspects of what I really enjoy about music which, sometimes, is the ability to turn it up to the point where you can start to feel the bass and drums hitting you, but still have all the other stuff be clear and not irritating. I wish I was like those people who are not bothered by this problem.

But I'm going to take a chance on the new one and hope they've reduced this effect somewhat compared to previous albums.
    <sig out of order>

Plas, I would say the new one is a lot smoother sounding, less compressed and not so harsh (at least to my ears, but i was okay with the last one), but still maintains the chaotic nature of the band, which is very important, because that is who they are.

neil

Really glad to see this thread pop up again. For my $$, Stranger Heads Prevail is hands down the best new album this year by ANY band, prog or otherwise. Like I said earlier, if one of the old Dinosaurs did an album this good... BOOM, heads would explode, fingers would bleed from all the furious typing and from the flood of gushing, this site would be declared a disaster area.

Here's to at least getting this thread to a page two for a band who well deserves the attention from us who truly have progressive ears.
    Can't disagree with any of this. So much great stuff on here. Glad it's not just me, who feels this way, lol. I quite like the vocals. Sal has an excellent voice. But then, some people don't like Ray Weston's vocals in Echolyn, and I love them too, so there ya go.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Can't disagree with any of this. So much great stuff on here. Glad it's not just me, who feels this way, lol. I quite like the vocals. Sal has an excellent voice. But then, some people don't like Ray Weston's vocals in Echolyn, and I love them too, so there ya go.

neil
    ...how these two are comparable is beyond me...

They seem to both be in the love them or hate them category. The similarities mostly end there, I suspect.

Sent Via PE's Mobile App
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    They seem to both be in the love them or hate them category. The similarities mostly end there, I suspect.

Sent Via PE's Mobile App
    Right. Big fan of RW. This vocalist downplays the music to me; Claudio Sanchez and Michael Jackson in a blender. Claudio and Cedric are unique, distinctive even...this dude...isn't to my ears.

I saw them open up for Haken earlier in the week. Great show and great band.

Champion of Nothing Nicky Cupcakes's Avatar

I get why some won't like the album, the singer could be a deal breaker for people, but instrumentally...these guys are pretty friggin' solid and very, very creative.
    Yes, all these things! So far my album of the year as well. Had the pleasure of seeing them play in Philly with Haken... their vocalist was suffering from some sickness that was affecting his throat, and so could only sing about half of the words... but their music is good enough to carry the show anyway.

Plas, I would say the new one is a lot smoother sounding, less compressed and not so harsh (at least to my ears, but i was okay with the last one), but still maintains the chaotic nature of the band, which is very important, because that is who they are.

neil
    Judging from the YouTube videos I think you're right. Not that YouTube videos are a great way to tell.
    <sig out of order>

It's a sensational album, but very long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    ...how these two are comparable is beyond me...
    I would say that they both have a similar range, and are both emotional singers. Are they close in approach, perhaps not. What mainly puzzles me, is that there have been a lot of poor vocalists in prog bands over the years, and yet people still complain even if the singer can, well, sing, and is on pitch, they just don't like the style.

For whatever it is worth, although i get why some people might see some resemblance to Micheal Jackson vocals, I never think that when listening to the music, and feel that the guy has is own style.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    It's a sensational album, but very long.

True, and certainly a few songs could have been dropped. For example, the first real song on the album (after the loopy opener intro, which I love!), is Track 2, Somnambulist, and I'd say it is one of the weaker songs on there. Perhaps they should have just charged out of the gate with Caverns. Then again, it took four years to get this album out, and it would make sense that in all that time, they would have a fair amount of material. That instrumental song, Ruth Goldberg Variations, is killer, and was a lot of fun to see live, and the crowd (mostly under 30), loved it in Toronto.

neil

I would say that they both have a similar range, and are both emotional singers. Are they close in approach, perhaps not. What mainly puzzles me, is that there have been a lot of poor vocalists in prog bands over the years, and yet people still complain even if the singer can, well, sing, and is on pitch, they just don't like the style.

For whatever it is worth, although i get why some people might see some resemblance to Micheal Jackson vocals, I never think that when listening to the music, and feel that the guy has is own style.

neil
    Cool. i disagree, but glad you enjoy it!

True, and certainly a few songs could have been dropped. For example, the first real song on the album (after the loopy opener intro, which I love!), is Track 2, Somnambulist, and I'd say it is one of the weaker songs on there. Perhaps they should have just charged out of the gate with Caverns. Then again, it took four years to get this album out, and it would make sense that in all that time, they would have a fair amount of material. That instrumental song, Ruth Goldberg Variations, is killer, and was a lot of fun to see live, and the crowd (mostly under 30), loved it in Toronto.

neil
    Oh but the opening cut is one of my favorite songs on the album! Wish there were more like it!

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Oh but the opening cut is one of my favorite songs on the album! Wish there were more like it!
    And that is what I love about music, and other opinions. I will listen with fresh ears next time, and hope to hear it as you do!

neil

I'm of course referring to The Prologue. It's reminds me very much of Jellyfish, whom I have an unhealthy obsession with.

^^But that is why I said: 'the first real song on the album (after the loopy opener intro, which I love!), is Track 2, Somnambulist'. so I guess we miscommunicated.

neil

^^But that is why I said: 'the first real song on the album (after the loopy opener intro, which I love!), is Track 2, Somnambulist'. so I guess we miscommunicated.

neil
    Yeah - thought so. Track 2 is kinda 'meh' for me.

Wow, first time hearing them, very cool and energetic sound!
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I'm glad these guys are getting a bit of attention here!

I only found out about them because they are opening for Haken (who I am seeing this Friday).

I've read a few comments comparing them to Jellyfish and Mars Volta, neither band I am that much of a fan of, so, I am glad I did not read those comments before buying the newest CD.

I'm looking forward to seeing them almost as much as Haken.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

You won't be disappointed. Both bands really deliver in the live setting.
    <sig out of order>