Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The most "UN-" song in a band's catalog

The most "UN-" song in a band's catalog

Not limited to prog bands, name the one song in a band's catalog that is the most UN-like their signature sound or style. A song that you would play for someone and they would never guess that it's xxx band. If you're stuck for an example musically, I will allow for a rare lead vocal by someone in the band other than the signature lead vocalist -- for example, Queen's music is all over the map stylistically but everyone knows Freddie Mercury's voice; so if you played someone "I'm in Love with My Car" with drummer Roger Taylor singing, they may not be able to identify the band.

The first choices that come to mind:
    The most UN-Chicago song I can think of is "Oh Thank You Great Spirit" from Chicago 8. A trippy psychedelic Terry Kath tune with an extended heavy guitar solo and abrupt ending to the song. No horns either. "Hideaway" from the same album is another contender; heavy riffing with no horns but Cetera's lead vocal may give it away.

If we can count ABWH as Yes, then the most UN-Yes tune is "Teakbois"

The most UN-Rolling Stones tune is "2,000 Light Years from Home".
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

AC/DC - Ride On
    Zep - Hot Dog
    Aerosmith - I Don't Want To Miss A Thing
    The Beatles - Revolution #9
    Van Halen - Sunday Afternoon In The Park
    Janet Jackson - Black Cat
    Tom Petty - Don't Come Around Here No More
    ELP - Are You Ready, Eddy?
    Soft Machine - Soft Space
    Simon & Garfunkel - Save The Life Of My Child

Probably think of more later.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Rush - tough to pick but I think I'll go with "Time Stand Still." Even though it was a well-known song, it's the only Rush tune to have someone other than Geddy on vocals (not including the barely-discernible background vocals credited to Alex and John on the first album).

Humble Pie - also another tough choice as they went through various styles but it was always an entire album, not a one-song deal. So I'll go with "Only a Roach" from the s/t third album, the only Pie tune with drummer Jerry Shirley singing lead. The Frampton/Marriott backing vocals in the chorus may give it away though.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Not limited to prog bands, name the one song in a band's catalog that is the most UN-like their signature sound or style. A song that you would play for someone and they would never guess that it's xxx band. If you're stuck for an example musically, I will allow for a rare lead vocal by someone in the band other than the signature lead vocalist -- for example, Queen's music is all over the map stylistically but everyone knows Freddie Mercury's voice; so if you played someone "I'm in Love with My Car" with drummer Roger Taylor singing, they may not be able to identify the band.

The first choices that come to mind:
    The most UN-Chicago song I can think of is "Oh Thank You Great Spirit" from Chicago 8. A trippy psychedelic Terry Kath tune with an extended heavy guitar solo and abrupt ending to the song. No horns either. "Hideaway" from the same album is another contender; heavy riffing with no horns but Cetera's lead vocal may give it away.

If we can count ABWH as Yes, then the most UN-Yes tune is "Teakbois"

The most UN-Rolling Stones tune is "2,000 Light Years from Home".
    Arcturus-"The Journey"

This song is actually closer to a Knut M Valle solo than an Arcturus song. It is only one of two featuring his vocals (the other is "Arcturian Sign" where he is the supporting vocals doing hums and growls along with the music, where he is lead vocals on "The Journey"), is written by him and is heavily influenced by his Glacier records collaborations (Time Space and Circles, Solfeggio Body, and Mollarns Vaerk), as well as "free music" performances (jam sessions?) he participates in. It also hides his vocals behind the new age-ish music, unlike most Arcturus songs, where the vocals are very prominent.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Genesis: Whodunnit?
    Rush: Scars
    Jethro Tull: Under Wraps
    Neil Young: We R In Control
    Grateful Dead: Tons of Steel

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post

Probably think of more later.
    Here we go...

Tangerine Dream - Ultima Thule
    ZZ Top - Manic Mechanic
    Stevie Wonder - Contusion
    Elton John - Out Of The Blue
    Cat Stevens - Was Dog A Doughnut?
    Can - Turtles Have Short Legs
    Guns 'N Roses - My World
    Steve Miller - Macho City
    Hall & Oats - Winged Bull
    Marvin Gaye - 'T' Plays It Cool
    Eagles - Journey Of the Sorcerer
    The Doors - The Mosquito
    Leonard Cohen - Don't Go Home With Your Hard-On

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Rush: Scars
    Ah, good one. Probably better than Time Stand Still.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    For Rush, how about Broon's Bane and/or Hope, as those are (I think) their only two acoustic guitar-only instrumentals, and therefore less like Rush than Time Stand Still or Scars.

Marillion, I think it's easily Liquidity, as it's their only instrumental?

Pink Floyd - Seamus (or A New Machine Pts. I+II? Or On The Run? Or ...Pict?)

Hey Garden Dreamer, do cover versions count?

And how about tracks that aren't available on any official release?

If non-officially released songs count:

Todd Rundgren - Bebe's Behind (most people would think it was Howard Stern) Of course, if covers count then for Todd it might be something off of Faithful.

Echolyn - Wiblet
    Last edited by JKL2000; 07-22-2016 at 01:34 PM.

No, let's eliminate cover versions. I wouldn't go for Hope and Broon's Bane for Rush either, I'm looking more for songs involving the full band rather than one member playing a solo instrumental. Because then you could name Cans and Brahms or Mood for a Day for Yes, but these are solo pieces.

No, let's eliminate cover versions. I wouldn't go for Hope and Broon's Bane for Rush either, I'm looking more for songs involving the full band rather than one member playing a solo instrumental. Because then you could name Cans and Brahms or Mood for a Day for Yes, but these are solo pieces.
    Ok, fair enough. I guess that rules out The King Crimson Barbershop Quartet! and the Marillion track I mentioned.

I guess for Marillion I have to go with Hope For the Future, with it's faux latin sound. I'm one of the few people who like it! They humorously recounted performing the song in South America and sort of getting laughed off the stage because the latin sound was so un-authentic.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    The Arcturus song I mentioned is the whole band-Vortex is on backing vocals, Gruchot on violin, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Since you didn't rule out covers:

IQ - Count Your Blessings (Instead of Sheep) (performed live, not sure if it's on an official live release or not)

Tramontane- Foreigner

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Marillion, I think it's easily Liquidity, as it's their only instrumental?
    What about 'Cannibal Surf Babe'?

Two that I absolutely love:

Budapest - Jethro Tull do Dire Straits
    A Wooden Ship on Wheels - Cardiacs do a ska-light Madness/Specials/Clash mash-up

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    What about 'Cannibal Surf Babe'?
    I don't really think of that one as being so out there.

Really if you don't count instrumentals and covers, while Marillion has a lot of variety nothing really stands out as being un-Marillion. I know I mentioned Hope for the Future, but it still sounds like Marillion to me. Someone could probably make an argument for "House."

Focus - Hocus Pocus
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

If non-officially released songs count:

Todd Rundgren - Bebe's Behind
    I thought I was the only one who knew that existed!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Chicago, "Free Form Guitar"

Marillion, "Kayleigh"

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Chicago, "Free Form Guitar"

Marillion, "Kayleigh"
    Eh, Kayleigh? Is that a joke?

Eh, Kayleigh? Is that a joke?
    It's a short, poppy song with really concise lyrics that's not in any way typical of the band IMO. A good example of the way the popular image of a group is not very accurate.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

The Police - "Mother"
    Eurythmics - "I Need You" (all acoustic guitar arrangement, no synths at all)
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    King Crimson - I Talk to the Wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Focus - Hocus Pocus
    Really?