Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Which songs should have made the cut ?

On the Shoreline is a great pop/rock tune and could've replaced No Son of Mine.
    I find Marillion's Going under boring, but it does appear on the remasters of the 90's.
    Bell in the Sea would've been better then Holloway Girl off of Seasons End.

Wilton
    Wilton Said... , Toronto Art Rock.
    http://www.wiltonsaid.com

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Tundra is a GREAT tune! So is Astronomy...
    Thanks! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Wilton Said... View Post
    On the Shoreline is a great pop/rock tune and could've replaced No Son of Mine.
    I find Marillion's Going under boring, but it does appear on the remasters of the 90's.
    Bell in the Sea would've been better then Holloway Girl off of Seasons End.

Wilton
    Hmm, for me 'No Son Of Mine' is one of the highlights. There's some really duff songs on that album I'd cut for 'On The Shoreline'- 'Never A Time', 'Way Of The World', 'Since I Lost You', don't like 'Tell Me Why' now either...'Shoreline' is a more traditional Genesis short track IMHO, as opposed to a MOR ballad. 'No Son Of Mine' has a lyrical depth IMHO, I've always liked it- of the other hits I also like 'Jesus He Knows Me' on there as well, even the title track I've come to appreciate. At least these are a bit quirkier than your average pop single of the time.

I believe that if songs like 'You Might Recall', 'Feeding The Fire', 'Do The Neurotic' and 'On The Shoreline', to name but a few, had been on the 80s/90s albums, the older fans may have been a little more forgiving of the direction. A shame a lot of these songs and the earlier 70s B-sides are now buried on box sets.

Not that keen on the Uriah Heep 'Abominog' B-sides. The cover of 'Tin Soldier' isn't a patch on the amazing original IMHO. The title alone of 'Son Of A Bitch' makes me cringe. I like that album as it is, and the follow-up 'Head First' I like a lot too.
    Last edited by JJ88; 01-24-2013 at 03:50 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Hmm, for me 'No Son Of Mine' is one of the highlights. There's some really duff songs on that album I'd cut for 'On The Shoreline'- 'Never A Time', 'Way Of The World', 'Since I Lost You', don't like 'Tell Me Why' now either...'Shoreline' is a more traditional Genesis short track IMHO, as opposed to a MOR ballad. 'No Son Of Mine' has a lyrical depth IMHO, I've always liked it- of the other hits I also like 'Jesus He Knows Me' on there as well, even the title track I've come to appreciate. At least these are a bit quirkier than your average pop single of the time.

I believe that if songs like 'You Might Recall', 'Feeding The Fire', 'Do The Neurotic' and 'On The Shoreline', to name but a few, had been on the 80s/90s albums, the older fans may have been a little more forgiving of the direction. A shame a lot of these songs and the earlier 70s B-sides are now buried on box sets.

Not that keen on the Uriah Heep 'Abominog' B-sides. The cover of 'Tin Soldier' isn't a patch on the amazing original IMHO. The title alone of 'Son Of A Bitch' makes me cringe. I like that album as it is, and the follow-up 'Head First' I like a lot too.
    What's wrong with a little foul language? I guess that you really hate Cocksucker Blues, then?

^Well that's just your assumption. It's just embarassing to me to call a song 'Son Of A Bitch'. I can't say why- the song's not that good either IMHO. I do like 'Hair Of The Dog' though.
    Last edited by JJ88; 01-24-2013 at 04:04 AM.

Banned
    ^Well that's just your assumption. It's just embarassing to me to call a song 'Son Of A Bitch'. I do like 'Hair Of The Dog', so there goes your theory!
    Does that mean that you don't like Bitch By The Rolling Stones, The Bitch Is Back by Elton John, or Bitches Brew by Miles Davis?

It depends on how good the song is as well, I edited my post to reflect that. I'm not derailing the thread on this trivial stuff you seem to have endless energy for.

Another one springs to mind, I was always surprised 'Positively 4th Street' was never on a Bob Dylan album- he never had many non-album tracks really ('Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window' is another from then). But it's one of those where I can't say what I'd have cut. See also The Bee Gees' 'Words', one of few A-sides they had which wasn't on an album.

Banned
    It depends on how good the song is as well, I edited my post to reflect that. I'm not derailing the thread on this trivial stuff you seem to have endless energy for.

Another one springs to mind, I was always surprised 'Positively 4th Street' was never on a Bob Dylan album- he never had many non-album tracks really ('Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window' is another from then). But it's one of those where I can't say what I'd have cut. See also The Bee Gees' 'Words', one of few A-sides they had which wasn't on an album.
    Dude, I'm just giving you a hard. Have you no sense of humor? Besides, you kinda opened yourself for that by saying that the Uriah Heep song made you cringe cause it had the B word in it(I won't spell it for fear of hurting your virgin ears).

I had the cassette of Alpha (Asia) that included an extra song Daylight I believe.... it was every bit as strong as several cuts that made the LP release.

I was always surprised 'Positively 4th Street' was never on a Bob Dylan album- he never had many non-album tracks really
    Not many people realize that Dylan "went electric" more than two years before Bringing It All Back Home with his "Mixed Up Confusion" single.

I really like "Going Under", particularly the version with the Rothery solo. I agree about "On The Shoreline" though, would have made a great opening track to WCD. (I'd have left "No Son Of Mine" on the album somewhere though.)
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    The ones that immediatly come to mind is Marillion's 'Going Under' which is better than some of the songs on 'Clutching at Straws'.
    Late coming to this thread, so forgive me if this has been mentioned already (great idea for a thread, BTW), but Going Under IS on Clutching at Straws. I think it maybe wasn't on the vinyl, but it was on the US CD release, and I think also on the cassette. I know I always heard it when listening to the album. I agree it's a great track.

^Well that's just your assumption. It's just embarassing to me to call a song 'Son Of A Bitch'. I can't say why- the song's not that good either IMHO. I do like 'Hair Of The Dog' though.
    It's embarrassing to me to call a song Hot Night In A Cold Town.

I beg to differ about Son Of A Bitch being "not that good". It's certainly better than Hot Night In A Cold Town, which is a tacky little ballad, very weak in comparison to some of the other songs. It's also a cover tune (half of the songs on Abominog are covers, actually), whereas Son Of A Bitch is was an original group composition.

And Tin Soldier may not be quite as good as the Small Faces version, but again, it's still better than Hot Persuasion, the song that I would have it replace. That you keep the original ratio of original material to covers, and you've improved the quality of the record exponentially.

Funny thing about Hot Night In A Cold Town, I understand it was also done by John Cougar. I can't imagine him singing that song, as it strikes me as way too "not Americana" for his tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Late coming to this thread, so forgive me if this has been mentioned already (great idea for a thread, BTW), but Going Under IS on Clutching at Straws. I think it maybe wasn't on the vinyl, but it was on the US CD release, and I think also on the cassette. I know I always heard it when listening to the album. I agree it's a great track.
    Yep. It's on the original CD version and isn't listed as a bonus track. IMO, it's part of the album and was ommitted for the vinyl release.

[QUOTE=Rufus;37910]Good call on Uriah Heep's 'WHY'. That song dates back to the Look at Yourself sessions so could easily have replaced something like "I Wanna be Free".

Why [14 Minutes] is a classic, but I don't think it would've necessarily suited either Look At Yourself or Demons and Wizards. Heep had a lot of great outtakes, like the 2 from Return To Fantasy [their weakest during Byron era] - in shout It Out and Time Will Come, as well as the heavy rocker Name Of The Game from High & Mighty sessions. The Lawton era produced a number of great outtakes, and it's pretty baffling how some of these never made the albums in leu of some of the filler that did.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Here's a very nice Strawbs B-side that would have fit comfortably on Bursting at the Seams. Sadly the studio cut isn't on Youtibe but this is a good live version. (Byrds fans should recognize the tune)>
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mfs...=results_video
    Oh, the Strawbs song Backside should have been on whichever album it's a bonus track on. Great song with excellent guitar.

Neil Young

Why "Sugar Mountain" and "I Am A child" were not released on one of Neil Young's earliest albums without Crazy Horse is beyond me. We had to wait until the 1997 compilation "Decade" for his own studio versions of them and then we heard live versions in 79 on "Live Rust"

Personally, from "After The Goldrush" I would have ditched "Oh Lonesome Me", "Birds", and "Cripple Creek Ferry" in favour of those two.

Pink Floyd

I can't touch "Piper" as that is simply a perfect album. HOWEVER, I would gladly remove "Corporal Clegg" and "Jugband Blues" from "Saucerful" in favour of "See Emily Play" and "Arnold Layne"

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Why "Sugar Mountain" and "I Am A child" were not released on one of Neil Young's earliest albums without Crazy Horse is beyond me. We had to wait until the 1997 compilation "Decade" for his own studio versions of them and then we heard live versions in 79 on "Live Rust"
    The original version of "I Am a Child" was on Buffalo Springfield's Last Time Around.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    The original version of "I Am a Child" was on Buffalo Springfield's Last Time Around.
    I know, I've got all 3 BS LPs, but I'm not talking about Buffalo Springfield albums, I'm talking about Neil Young albums.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I know, I've got all 3 BS LPs, but I'm not talking about Buffalo Springfield albums, I'm talking about Neil Young albums.
    Why would he have put it on a solo album after having already released it as his solo track on on LTA?