Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which songs should have made the cut ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    Well the most obvious example is Penny Lane & Strawberry Fields Forever being left off Sgt Peppers.

Stick those two on in place of the Harrison dirge and you've got the perfect album
    I'd keep the Harrison dirge over Penny Lane. But yeah, Strawberry Fields should've been on the album. Maybe if the Harrison tracks was a tad shorter it would've made room for Strawberry.

re: HOTH

Great album. I'd have preferred to have the title track on the album over D'Yer Maker or The Crunge instead of it appearing on PG. Now, I love The Crunge (I know most don't) but it does seem out of place. But I guess that's what makes that album so special. It's all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Adinfinitum View Post
    Originally Posted by Rufus
    Some more ...
    Deep Purple-When A Blind Man Cries should have made Machine Head. Probably instead of Never Before.
    I believe it was on a Classic Album DVD review of Machine Head that Ian Gillian said in reference to When a Blind Man Cries that "Ritchie no like". Thought that was pretty funny.
    I'd fuss more about Black Night or Strange Kind Of Woman not making the cut in their respective albums In Rock or Fireball than Blind Man Cries in Machine Head... As much as it's a good song, it doesn't fit the MH mould...

===========

Elsewhere, I'd call for A Day in The Life of Maurice Haylett finding it's way in if I Could... Yup, I'd definitely do it all over again...

I'd also fuss a bit with a few of these early single-only Tull tracks not making the cut in a given Lp...

And as Rufus implies, Why is better than anything in some UH albums... But I seem to remember this track as a bonus on D&W or MB album, not in LaY....

Santana's Mantra on Welcome as well

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    To each their own, of course. I like "Inside And Out", nice classic Genesis instrumental second half a la "Cinema Show", etc... but the best song on Wind And Wuthering? Not for me. I would prefer it in place of "Your Own Special Way" though.
    that's breaking down a wide-open door there, buddy (YOSW being the worst thing they've done until past Duke)

But somehow, It's Yourself never struck me as a particularly strong "song" of theirs
    Last edited by Trane; 01-22-2013 at 09:40 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Originally Posted by Rufus
    Yes i know D'yer Maker was HOTH , saying there must must be a track on Coda , an album of left overs that would have fitted better !
    No leftovers from HOTH appeared on Coda. The Rover, Houses Of The Holy, and Black Country Woman were recorded during the HOTH sessions, but appeared on Physical Graffiti.
    Yup, and there none of these songs would manage to bump out D'Yer out of HotH... However, Dancing Days and The Crunge or even The Ocean would probably managed to be popped out of there (those three are absolutely hideous)

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    re: HOTH

Great album. I'd have preferred to have the title track on the album over D'Yer Maker or The Crunge instead of it appearing on PG. Now, I love The Crunge (I know most don't) but it does seem out of place. But I guess that's what makes that album so special. It's all over the place.
    That's precisely it's main flaw... the artwork hints at the proggier tracks of side A and No Quarter, than you got dumb stuff like Dancing Days or The Crunge or The Ocean
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I'd keep the Harrison dirge over Penny Lane. But yeah, Strawberry Fields should've been on the album. Maybe if the Harrison tracks was a tad shorter it would've made room for Strawberry.
    Not sure where I see Penny Lane or Strawberry Fields fitting on Sgt. Peppers.... still think it was good decision to release them as singles. Besides they fit nicely on the Capitol release of Magical Mystery Tour.

No leftovers from HOTH appeared on Coda. The Rover, Houses Of The Holy, and Black Country Woman were recorded during the HOTH sessions, but appeared on Physical Graffiti.
    That is not entirely correct. Walter's Walk appears on Coda and was recorded during the HotH sessions, or at least the music reportedly was. There's some debate as to when the vocals may have been recorded. The main riff was played during the '72 tour as evident on How the West was Won.

I don't think that I would've replaced D'yer Maker with it, however.

You and I are hearing different songs. Lady Fantasy is an epic.
    Yes, but I agree with him in that it's a rather pedestrian go at the "epic" format. Still, I quite dig the overt directness to those simple arrangements of that song. My suggestion was to replace "Earthrise" with "The White Rider" and have "Autumn" after "Supertwister", with "Ligging at Louis'" closing side 1.

Anyway, replacing "Lady Fantasy" with "Autumn would leave 8 minutes off the album.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by PROGMONSTER View Post
    I reckon Autumn would be a good replacement for Lady Fantasy.
    I reckon side 2 of Aqualung should have been replaced with the other versions.

Hymn 43-quad version
    My God-quad version
    Wind up-early version
    Locomotive breath-MU version
    The alternate (quad) cersion of Wind Up is actually a much later recording, from the War Child sessions.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    D'yer Maker was a Houses Of The Holy, not Coda. Speaking of which, why didn't Coda include Hey Hey, What Can I Say?
    "Hey Hey What Can I Do?" was the B-side of "Immigrant Song" and never appeared on an album.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Jethro Tull's "Lick Your Fingers Clean" should have found its place on Aqualung.
    I'd agree with another post that Tull probably has the richest outtakes collection and while "Lick Your Fingers Clean" may not be the best (though it's right up there), it is the one I thought of first, as it fits in perfectly on Aqualung thematically. Two others like this are "Beltane" (Songs From the Wood) and Broadford Bazaar (Heavy Horses).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldfire Nexus View Post
    "Hey Hey What Can I Do?" was the B-side of "Immigrant Song" and never appeared on an album.
    Some Zep songs released as B-sides did appear on studio albums, that was the one exception. Also, to the person that made the comment about Baby Come On Home. Wasn't that song only given a proper mix for the box set.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    The alternate (quad) cersion of Wind Up is actually a much later recording, from the War Child sessions.
    Nah the quad is taken from the early version. I like the early version most. I don't like the album version. But I'd take a few songs from disc 2 of 40 year anniversary aqualung over wind up anyway. Eg. Up the pool, life is a long song, dr bogenbroom, wondring again are all better than wind up, locomotive breath and my god IMO. Wish it was a double album to begin with.
    Last edited by PROGMONSTER; 01-22-2013 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PROGMONSTER View Post
    Eg. Up the pool, life is a long song, dr bogenbroom, wondring again are all better than wind up, locomotive breath and my god IMO. Wish it was a double album to begin with.
    Of course those tracks couldn't have been included on Aqualung as they were not recorded until after the album had already been released.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Besides they fit nicely on the Capitol release of Magical Mystery Tour.
    Ya got a point. Honestly, I wouldn't change Sgt. Pepper at all. It's fine the way it is. Let it be.

ELP --- Brain Salad Surgery, the album, is missing Brain Salad Surgery, the single.
    Probably because it was a crappy attempt at a pop song ?
    (Oops ! Wrong thread. I wanted 'Which album is missing the single it's named for'.)

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    ELP --- Brain Salad Surgery, the album, is missing Brain Salad Surgery, the single.
    Probably because it was a crappy attempt at a pop song ?
    (Oops ! Wrong thread. I wanted 'Which album is missing the single it's named for'.)
    I would like to pre-nominate SHEER HEART ATTACK
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    Gentle Giant: The Power and The Glory
    Elvis Costello: Imperial Bedroom, with honorable mention to Almost Blue (not a single, but an album track on, ironically, Imperial Bedroom).

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Santana ~ "Mantra" on Welcome
    Very good call. It's a bonus-track on the CD-edition now, so it's now a perfect album for a brilliant album.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Elvis Costello: Imperial Bedroom, with honorable mention to Almost Blue (not a single, but an album track on, ironically, Imperial Bedroom).
    "Almost Blue" wasn't on the titular album? I didn't know that. I like that song but I only have it on the old Greatest Hits from the 80s, so I never knew that!
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    So many Tull cuts!!
    One of those is IMO 'Tundra' from "Under Wraps". Originally that one was only to be found on the 12'' of 'Lap Of Luxury', with 2 other non-album (vinyl, mind you) tracks. Anyway, these three were randomly submitted onto the CD-version of the same album, and nowadays nobody talks about 'Tundra' anymore

So I wish this track wasn't on "Under Wraps", so that it would be more talked about on forums like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post

And 'Houses of the Holy'

Oh, and another Uriah Heep track is Son Of A Bitch. They should have been on Abominog. I'd have certainly swapped out Hot Night In A Cold Town in favor of Son Of A Bitch. I'd have probably also swapped out Hot Persuasion in favor of Tin Soldier.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I had Giant Steps before purchasing Power and the Glory and was surprised when I did get the album it was missing.
    Was that the "single" from that album?

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    I had Giant Steps before purchasing Power and the Glory and was surprised when I did get the album it was missing.
    Was that the "single" from that album?
    It was never intended for the album of the same name. It was recorded in response to the label demanding a "commercial" track for single release.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post
    One of those is IMO 'Tundra' from "Under Wraps". Originally that one was only to be found on the 12'' of 'Lap Of Luxury', with 2 other non-album (vinyl, mind you) tracks. Anyway, these three were randomly submitted onto the CD-version of the same album, and nowadays nobody talks about 'Tundra' anymore
    Tundra is a GREAT tune! So is Astronomy...