Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jon Anderson: Phil Collins scuppered my solo career

Jon Anderson: Phil Collins scuppered my solo career

http://teamrock.com/news/2016-07-21/...my-solo-career

Jon Anderson has recalled how Phil Collins scuppered his solo career during the 80s.

The former Yes vocalist claims that he and Phil Collins were signed to Virgin at the same time – and that the label asked for his pay advance back after hearing both of their projects.

Anderson tells Prog: "They signed me and old whats-his-name – Phil Collins – in the same month. Then Phil goes to no.1 with Face Value for a thousand years. Gosh, I misjudged that situation."

The singer claims the Genesis man scuppered his chances once again years later when his 1988 album In The City Of Angels flopped everywhere in the world – except Quebec.

Anderson says: "I played a festival in Quebec and it was still being played on the radio. The promoter told me, 'This was a big album here.' I said, 'Really? This is the only place in the world it was, then.'"

He adds: "Basically it was Phil again. Genesis' Invisible Touch. Phil's voice in that period was so perfect for radio. Mine was not so good for radio."

The singer recently told Prog how his 1981 album with composer Vangelis The Friends Of Mr Cairo inspired Michael Jackson's smash hit album Thriller.

The full interview with Anderson features in the latest issue of Prog magazine, which is out now in print and via TeamRock+.

Anderson will be presented with the Prog God award at the 2016 Progressive Music Awards at London's Underglobe venue on September 1.

Last month, he, Trevor Rabin and Rick Wakeman announced a 2017 UK tour. The trio are currently working on an as-yet-untitled album.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

And you guys thought Phil was all bad.

Scuppers Ready

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Scuppers Ready
    LOL!

I had to look up what 'scuppered' meant.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

What the F is scuppered? Apparently that word sank in the pond before reaching the shores of America.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Scuppers Ready
    Awesome!

Phil Collins ruined solo careers.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Phil Collins ruined Yes too.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

The "Ultimate Classic Rock" version of the article replaces "scuppered" with "ruined". http://ultimateclassicrock.com/jon-a...-phil-collins/

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Phil Collins ruined Yes too.
    Oh no he didn't.

From Rufus' keyboard to Jon's eyes - never underestimate the power of PE
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

I liked his solo album Animation a lot. I would have liked to hear more from that band with the sort of compositions and arrangements featured there. Dave Sancious was good for him (the way he was for early Springsteen). I think it's a shame Anderson went with YesWest. Animation as a band and Cinema as a band are what exist in my alternate-reality.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Ya know, I've never listened to Animation. Perhaps I should.

The remaster of Animation sucked so bad. Still needs a proper remastering.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Stickleback View Post
    The remaster of Animation sucked so bad. Still needs a proper remastering.
    Yeah, that „remaster“ is just a needle-drop FFS.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

More reasons to hate Phil Collins, as if they weren't enough already

Well, I guess that's the wonderful worth of some 'Prog Magazine'. Bringing forth these important revelations through journalistic traits swelling with integrity and craftsmanship.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I knew it !
    The scupperman stroke again !

^No, Phil indeed belonged to that old Colony, but leave the 'Big Mouth' out of this (they don't deserve it).
    Last edited by Rick Robson; 07-22-2016 at 05:37 AM.
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    The singer claims the Genesis man scuppered his chances once again years later when his 1988 album In The City Of Angels flopped everywhere in the world
    In the City of Angels needed no help from Collins, cocaine, or anything else in 1988 to tank. It did a fantastic job of sucking like a cheap hooker @ Mardi Gras all on its own
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Banned
    Full Definition of scupper
    British
    : to defeat or put an end to

I wouldn't say that PC went "Against All Odds"[emoji6]

Banned

Phil Collins was contacted by director Taylor Hackford to record a song for the movie. Collins had written "Against All Odds" (originally entitled "How Can You Just Sit There?") for his first solo album, "Face Value" (released in 1981), and it was one of many songs on the album which were about his first wife, who had left him. Collins had left the song off the album because he felt he had enough ballads on "Face Value" already and he hadn't included it on his second solo album, "Hello, I Must Be Going", either. After Taylor Hackford's request for a song, he decided to return to it and recorded it in two days, one day in New York, the other in Los Angeles, aided by legendary record producer Arif Mardin.

The theme song "Against All Odds (Take a Look at Me Now)" was a huge success for Phil Collins, becoming his first of seven number one singles in the United States during his solo career. It won him the Grammy Award for Best Male Pop Vocal Performance in 1985 and it was also nominated for both an Academy Award and a Golden Globe for Best Original Song. Collins was the only nominee in the Academy Awards category not invited to sing his song on stage, instead sitting in the audience as dancer Ann Reinking gave a lip-synced performance accompanied by a dance routine. His perceived negative reaction shown on the telecast is considered to be one of the most awkward moments in the history of the ceremony and has been a favorite reference for Dennis Miller to relate someone reacting in a horrified fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    In the City of Angels needed no help from Collins, cocaine, or anything else in 1988 to tank. It did a fantastic job of sucking like a cheap hooker @ Mardi Gras all on its own
    I agree. IMHO, Jon didn't need any help to sabotage his career in the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

The singer recently told Prog how his 1981 album with composer Vangelis The Friends Of Mr Cairo inspired Michael Jackson's smash hit album Thriller.

THIS...Made me spit out my morning coffee......hilarious. Thx JA for that chuckle.