Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One song away....

One song away....

I was having a conversation about albums I have enjoyed over the years that have that one song that brings them down.

Outlandos d'Amour - By My Girl Sally (when I had vinyl I never played that side of the album)
    Garaj Mahal - Mondo Garaj : Poodle Factory (kills the whole CD for me)
    Revolution #9 - I can honestly say I have never listened to this on purpose, annoys the hell out of me

Any other albums where one song ruins your experience?

I've always skipped "Mother" on The Police's Synchronicity. Absolutely horrible song on an otherwise brilliant album.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I usually skip “Changes” on Vol 4. Also, “Morning Star” on In Praise of Learning.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Groundhogs - Hogwash, "Mr. Hooker, Sir John"
    Gong - Angel's Egg, "Givin' My Luv To You"
    Cream - Disraeli Gears, "Mother's Lament"
    ELP - s/t, "Lucky Man"
    Steve Miller - Children of the Future, "Key To the Highway"
    HP Lovecraft - s/t, "The Time Machine"
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by saucyjackstl View Post
    I was having a conversation about albums I have enjoyed over the years that have that one song that brings them down.

Outlandos d'Amour - By My Girl Sally (when I had vinyl I never played that side of the album)
    Garaj Mahal - Mondo Garaj : Poodle Factory (kills the whole CD for me)
    Revolution #9 - I can honestly say I have never listened to this on purpose, annoys the hell out of me

Any other albums where one song ruins your experience?
    Love that Police song...at least until Andy starts telling his perverted little story.
    The Prog Corner

I'd say most of The Police's albums are like that...mostly great but with one awful throwaway. '...Sally', 'On Any Other Day' and 'Mother' spring to mind as the obvious ones.

ELP - Trilogy: "Living Sin"
    Flower Kings - Paradox Hotel: "Bavarian Skies"
    Yes - Tormato: "Circus of Heaven"
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

“Golden Goose” off of Todd Rundgren’s Healing is a must-skip. Can’t stand that song!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    “Golden Goose” off of Todd Rundgren’s Healing is a must-skip. Can’t stand that song!
    “Golden Goose” is such an act of wanton self-sabotage, it cannot be comprehended. Whenever I hear it, I imagine Michelangelo, bored with his own genius, spray painting boobs & dicks all over the Sistine Chapel. It's that awful.

Healing is still probably my favorite TR album.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

I've usually found the one Dave Lambert song per Strawbs album to be the weak item. That said, on Burning for You, I thought the Lambert song "Heartbreaker" is that album's best cut.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Agree with Lovecraft's "Time Machine" (they must have taken the brown acid shortly before they wrote it).

Since Love is one of my 3 favorite bands of all-time, I can't listen to "Revelation" on Da Capo since it makes me question my taste.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Whodunnit?

Actually, I rather like the song for what it is: a bunch of guys having a laugh. For many, if not most people, though, some forms of humor don't stand the test of time.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    “Golden Goose” is such an act of wanton self-sabotage, it cannot be comprehended. Whenever I hear it, I imagine Michelangelo, bored with his own genius, spray painting boobs & dicks all over the Sistine Chapel. It's that awful.

I LOVE Golden Goose! It's actually one of the songs on that album. I've listened to most.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I've always skipped "Mother" on The Police's Synchronicity. Absolutely horrible song on an otherwise brilliant album.
    One of the first ones I though of.
    Also, The Crunge on Led Zeppelin's Houses of the Holy.

Question- was the SONG "Houses of the Holy" recorded during the HOTH sessions, or was it just an afterthought song on Physical Grafitti? Otherwise, I couldn't understand why it simply wasn't the title track.

Made Again at the end of Marillion's "Brave"
    I never liked the song, and it was just tacked on at the end to give it a less sad ending. In fact the vinyl version had two grooves on the last side, and one groove didn't have that song at the end so there were two possible endings.
    So there's official precedent for skipping it! Some people love the song but it's a bit cloying to me, and not very interesting musically.

Quote Originally Posted by saucyjackstl View Post
    I must say, I feel that way about every Led Zeppelin and every Neil Young album.

Seamus, Meddle
    Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast...

American Music Club - California, "Bad Liquor"

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post

Yes! Vindication!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Again, I love the song. Despite some of the cartoony sounds it's got some great synth sounds and some...well, sort of soulful vocals from Todd. And it's part of the concept of the album too. All I can say is when I first heard it it didn't occur to me to dislike it, but Todd hit me at a time when I just embraced his creativity and humor. I always thought of him as sort of like Thomas Dolby, or maybe the other way around.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 07-24-2016 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Made Again at the end of Marillion's "Brave"
    I never liked the song, and it was just tacked on at the end to give it a less sad ending. In fact the vinyl version had two grooves on the last side, and one groove didn't have that song at the end so there were two possible endings.
    So there's official precedent for skipping it! Some people love the song but it's a bit cloying to me, and not very interesting musically.
    Wow. Really??

That's one of my all-time Marillion faves.

Maybe because it has personal meaning....
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I like it when a band goes against type.
    Big fan of The Police, and the odder they got, the more I got reeled in.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Wow. Really??

That's one of my all-time Marillion faves.

Maybe because it has personal meaning....
    Its a dark album and I feel like the little positivity should come from the title track. When it was released people theorized that Made Again was from the perspective of the boyfriend - it was too unbelievable the girl felt Made Again.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Since Love is one of my 3 favorite bands of all-time, I can't listen to "Revelation" on Da Capo since it makes me question my taste.
    Oh BOY was that ever a disappointment to come across at 18 when I was just beginning to know them. I had immersed myself entirely in the magic and mystery of F.C. that very spring, coming to terms with the potential genius of Lee just little by little, and went tracking with two buddies of mine in July of that year after a family crisis in which my upcoming brother-in-Law got swept away by the sea after a boating accident. So there we are, 18 year olds and prematurely drunk in a monster London record store, money and all - and the guy behind the counter runs side B of Da Capo over the speakers. I remember thinking that the thing sounded like the raunchy rubbish basement blues group WE were playing in at the time. And later getting to know how Lee had already written some of the greater tunes that would later appear on Out Here and Four Sail but left them out due to collective considerations...

Side A is pretty fab, though.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

regarding Police albums, i actually liked the diversity of Stewart's & Andy's songs like a ying yang to Sting's material.
    although Sting had all the hits, he had many misses too.