Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking Plague for early 2017

Decline And Fall is my the favorite TP album so I have high hopes for this new one. Can't wait!
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    As regards modern progressive artists with some tenure and profience to speak of, only Änglagård seem to keep a higher average rating at the house of Gnosis.

I love all of their work, but back in '98 In Extremis was a paradigmatic turning point in my approach to contemporary progressive rock.
    Yeah, same here. Congrats to Alternative Press for reviewing that album - I probably would not have heard of it in 1998, but for that review (AP was once a decent magazine for contemporary music). That's the album that got me interested in really broadening the scope of my progressive rock fandom.

Although I have no approach to contemporary progressive rock (I try to take each artist on their own particular... voice, if you will) 'In Extremis' and perhaps even more so, 'Decline and Fall' blew my socks off in a way that no one quite had before. So well crafted, and technically perfect. They don't spoil me so that I don't appreciate other artists for the most part, as a band like, say, 'Big Big Train' produces music of a completely different emotion to my ears that reaches me on another level. But in the realm that TP operates, no one can match them, in my ears. Even their lyrics are perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    It seems that this is going to be released in January / February of 2017.

All the recording is done and Mike's doing final mixing with Bob D. in France in August, which gives us just enough time.

And MJ sent me a 'close but rough' mix of a 10+ minute track that has everything I think folks would want out of a new Thinking Plague album. And Elaine sounds awesome, of course.

that is all.
    The couple news ones they played out here in Texas blew my doors off. Definitely TP and even better... cant wait to hear it all spectacular from a great studio and mixing job. Oh boy this is my most anticipated release for next year!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffo621 View Post
    ^^ Indeed. When I heard it was announced that he was joining Thinking Plague, I got pretty excited. I'm curious to see how his style of playing carries over into TP.
    You wont be disappointed. Bill is badass. He's also a helluvah nice guy to talk to.

I keep listening to this absolute gem and thinking about TP. The parallels are there IMO. Some very TP passages.

Mike Johnson says:
    Hello esteemed backers,
    The final mixes of the new Thinking Plague cd were done only last month, and we have just now gotten our download site happening (sorry ‘bout that). But anyway, as promised, here is a link for you to a digital copy (16 bit) of the first track, entitled "The Echoes of Their Cries”, from the new CD.
    Go to this url: ___________

Invalid passcode?!?!

Edit: And I'm in!
    Last edited by 100423; 10-04-2016 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Passcode fixed...

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    It's very good, I was giddy before, what's the next stage?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

cool man
    flute juice

Very cool indeed. Mike Johnson makes a shitty 2016 a lot more tolerable.

I'm remembering the NEARfest performance as I read this thread and revisiting the real audio - good times

And now the backer track is out

Just need to get to me headphones for the first spin

My best to all

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Decline And Fall is my the favorite TP album so I have high hopes for this new one. Can't wait!
    So glad you're digging that. The new one promises to also be quite good
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

I'm buying this.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Anyone received their cd from the kickstart campaign yet?
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Well, I got the CD from good ol' Wayside...the actual album was not part of the KS rewards, just an early download of one of the tracks if I understand it correctly.

Not the sort of CD to take in with just one listen, but so far I think it's quite terrific
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Well, I got the CD from good ol' Wayside...the actual album was not part of the KS rewards, just an early download of one of the tracks if I understand it correctly.

The album itself was the reward in one of the support tiers. Which has not yet been received.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    The album itself was the reward in one of the support tiers. Which has not yet been received.
    I stand corrected...you are right, it was at one of the reward levels.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Yeah the rewards got updated to include the CD, I'm assuming after lots of people asked.
    Ian

Hey all - Sorry, you KS backers who are owed a cd. I just checked the tracking number for the box of cds that has been sent to me, and it says it was "delayed" (for like 11 freakin days!), but that it is "en route to destination". I think that means any time now. Again, sorry for the wait.
    mj

Quote Originally Posted by MJ-Plagued View Post
    Hey all - Sorry, you KS backers who are owed a cd. I just checked the tracking number for the box of cds that has been sent to me, and it says it was "delayed" (for like 11 freakin days!), but that it is "en route to destination". I think that means any time now. Again, sorry for the wait.
    mj
    No prob. Based on all the enthusiastic reactions to the music, I'm sure the wait will be well worth it.

More generally, how do you guys feel that the KS model worked, in retrospect? Did the $ you asked for end up being the right amount? Would asking for more have been something that would have made any tangible improvements? If more $ had been received what would it have been used for?

Is this something that would be considered again in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    No prob. Based on all the enthusiastic reactions to the music, I'm sure the wait will be well worth it.

More generally, how do you guys feel that the KS model worked, in retrospect? Did the $ you asked for end up being the right amount? Would asking for more have been something that would have made any tangible improvements? If more $ had been received what would it have been used for?

Is this something that would be considered again in the future?
    It we had not had the great support and generosity of our good friend Colin Bricker, owner of Mighty Fine Productions, the wonderful studio where we recorded most of the tracks, we would have needed thousands more - maybe double the amount, which was $8k (a pittance by 'industry standards'). Colin gave us a very cheap one-time flat rate for the whole business. I can't speculate whether he'd be willing or able to do so again. Then there were some unexpected costs, in one case related to a change of 'venue' for mixing, and some unplanned musicians fees. But nevertheless, there was enough funding to complete the project.
    There were various delays, but a lack of funding was not the cause of these.

As for what might more money be used for, where do I start? TP band members do everything for free, pretty much, other than very nominal payment for infrequent performances, and very limited royalties (which are declining). So when the band is working on a new CD, they are not paid for the innumerable hours of learning, practicing, rehearsing, driving some pretty good distances to do so, etc. We purchase all our own gear, software, etc., so if we need an instrument, a sound that we don't have, or whatever, we have to get it ourselves, try to borrow or rent it, or do without. I know this is just like the million other dedicated non-commercial bands oit there. But we've been at this for 30 years and people have high expectations for us.

So, as to whether we'll do this again, I can't say. But there may be no choice, unless we want to revert to all home DAW studio, with very limited mics, preamps and other outboard gear, limited rooms/spaces to record drums, acoustic instruments, etc. No doubt great things can, and have, been done under those conditions, but....

Quote Originally Posted by MJ-Plagued View Post
    mj
    No worries, looking forward to receiving it.
    Ian

New album is fantastic! Probably my favorite since In Extremis. Not that there's a bad one in the lot but In Extremis is an all time favorite of mine. Great job on the new one. Still absorbing and enjoying!

Quote Originally Posted by selfextraction View Post
    New album is fantastic! Probably my favorite since In Extremis. Not that there's a bad one in the lot but In Extremis is an all time favorite of mine. Great job on the new one. Still absorbing and enjoying!
    Yes! Great to hear. I will have to wait until February 10th, but I can do it, lol.

neil