Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Riverside Update

Quote Originally Posted by revporl View Post
    Sez you with 666 posts!
    I should have been playing Iron Maiden

I got mine today and like it a lot. This exceeded my expectations and might become my favorite of theirs. It's still Riverside but they manage to sound fresh and new also. A lot of earworms and a lot of loveliness.

Sounds really good after two listens. Better than Time Machine? Possibly.
    The Prog Corner

After a couple more plays this album really opens up. At first I thought it couldn't be better than Time Machine but it must at least be a strong rival. More guitar on this album too which is kind of ironic but the main thing is the strong emotional songs, the piano on the closing piece The Night Before is exquisite too. The long instrumental The Struggle for Survival is a real blast and River Down Below is another that really gives me chills...yep, I'm loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    More guitar on this album too which is kind of ironic
    I'm only one listen in, but I was surprised the keys aren't more prominent considering the circumstances. He's got one of the most bad ass B3 sounds I've ever heard. Could use more of that, but regardless, I'm digging it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    I'm only one listen in, but I was surprised the keys aren't more prominent considering the circumstances. He's got one of the most bad ass B3 sounds I've ever heard. Could use more of that, but regardless, I'm digging it so far.
    I'd say there are definitely more keys than on Love, Fear and the Time Machine where they were mostly texture in the background.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

I've taken a few weeks to let the music sink in and absorb all the sounds and words, before coming up with my thoughts.

For me, it could well be a contender for my album of the year, and I put together my case in my latest blog review:

https://momentstransition.wordpress....asteland-2018/

I suspect I'm already preaching to the converted here, but if you haven't heard Riverside before, then perhaps I can encourage you to give this album a try.

^^^
    Thanks for the informative review Valen. I really enjoy Wasteland though not as much as Time Machine which is still my fave. Musically it seems to me like a blend of Time Machine & Shrine.

I hope that for the next album they will pick a new guitarist as it will help to make the band more complete after their tragic loss.
    No doubt when The Time Is Right they will find The One

I've only got into them recently, can't stop listening to them. Sad that I didn't see their last tour (there's a Polish guy who worked in my local bar and runs the PA's for loads of local gigs and he kept pestering me to go and saying they that I'd love them, I should have paid attention), but definitely going to see this one. Brilliant stuff. Time Machine is a beautiful album. Must apologise to Lukasz too if I see him there!

^^^
    Thanks for the informative review Valen. I really enjoy Wasteland though not as much as Time Machine which is still my fave. Musically it seems to me like a blend of Time Machine & Shrine.

I hope that for the next album they will pick a new guitarist as it will help to make the band more complete after their tragic loss.
    No doubt when The Time Is Right they will find The One
    Cheers for that Steve.

Time Machine is an excellent album too isn't it? To be honest, I don't think they've turned up a dud in any of their albums so far.

Based on Mariusz' comments, I don't think they're appointing a permanent guitarist any time soon. I think it's quite cool myself, evolving their sound to incorporate Mariusz' guitar abilities, and calling on friends to help out with the more complex solos.

Anyone know if they plan to tour the US ? I know they are doing the Cruise To The Edge, but anything further ?

Quote Originally Posted by jc90125 View Post
    Anyone know if they plan to tour the US ? I know they are doing the Cruise To The Edge, but anything further ?
    rosfest in may. nothing else definitive that i've heard tho in an interview i read (probably one of the ones in this thread) it sort of implied a more extensive tour

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    ^^^
    Musically it seems to me like a blend of Time Machine & Shrine.

I
    e
    Agreed. Which for me isn't a great thing. I's only put it above Shrine at this point.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

"The Night Before" is a real haunting album closer
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Every time I play it (maybe every couple of days) I hear something new and appreciate it more.

Giving it a listen tonight while the Rug Rats Knock on the door begging for Candy. It’s too pleasant! Need a bit more disturbing music.....maybe Free Salamander Exhibit?