Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Did Jefferson Airplane Change to Jefferson Starship?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Why Did Jefferson Airplane Change to Jefferson Starship?

And is it now just Starship? How was this change received by the public, press, and fans?

The way I remember it…..

Jefferson Airplane officially broke up after the “Long John Silver” album in 72. Paul Kantner did a solo album “Blows Against The Empire” that used the Jefferson Starship name, but there was no real official band at that point. He then put the official Jefferson Starship Mark I together in 1974 which also had members of the former Jefferson Airplane. Many personnel changes later in the mid-80’s Kantner left the band after the “Nuclear Furniture” album and tour taking the “Jefferson” name with him. The remaining band, fronted by Mickey Thomas and Grace Slick kept going as Starship. After Grace Slick left, Thomas kept rights to the name Starship, and Kantner re-formed another version of Jefferson Airplane. Today, Thomas still tours and records under the Starship moniker (with no other former members). Of course Kantner died last year, but last I knew there was still a version of Jefferson Starship touring out their with David Freiberg leading it.

also, Dilithium Crystals became easier to come by

I did not notice the 2nd part to your question. As to fan reaction, my guess is you ask 10 different people you will get 10 different answers.

As a fan myself I have mixed feelings. I liked the original Jefferson Airplane, was not so much of a fan of the original Jefferson Starship (although they had their moments). I absolutely love the first Jefferson Starship album with Mickey Thomas “Freedom At Point Zero” which is still a favorite to this day, but this is where many fans jumped off the bus. I thought the 3 Thomas / Slick Jefferson Starship albums are all good, but not great. When Kantner left and the band became just Starship the wheels fell off for me and I did not care for it at all. Some of the latter day Jefferson Starship albums are good especially “Windows Of Heaven” from 1992.

There is also the Jefferson Airplane re-union album from 1989 which is pretty good and the KBC band (Kantner, Balin, and Cassidy) album from the mid 80’s which was quite good I though.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    The way I remember it…..

Jefferson Airplane officially broke up after the “Long John Silver” album in 72. Paul Kantner did a solo album “Blows Against The Empire” that used the Jefferson Starship name, but there was no real official band at that point. He then put the official Jefferson Starship Mark I together in 1974 which also had members of the former Jefferson Airplane. Many personnel changes later in the mid-80’s Kantner left the band after the “Nuclear Furniture” album and tour taking the “Jefferson” name with him. The remaining band, fronted by Mickey Thomas and Grace Slick kept going as Starship. After Grace Slick left, Thomas kept rights to the name Starship, and Kantner re-formed another version of Jefferson Airplane. Today, Thomas still tours and records under the Starship moniker (with no other former members). Of course Kantner died last year, but last I knew there was still a version of Jefferson Starship touring out their with David Freiberg leading it.
    Where did Jorma Fall into all this? Was he out when it was still Hot Tuna?

I think the simpler answer is that they changed name and style to reflect the times.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    The way I remember it…..

Mmmhhh!!!... Kantner only died four months ago, maybe five now.

And Blows To The Empire (which should've credited Grace as well - IMHO) came well before JS was started.

Well The Airplane was already quite dissipated by the time of the live Bless Its Head album, and there wasn't much happening in terms od record release between Head and Volunteer (both released early 69) and Bark (in late 71)... LJSilver (better than Bark, IMHO) and 30 Seconds are almost Airplane afterthoughts

- Casady and Jorma had been already doing plenty of jamming after Airplane concerts (with Spencer Dryden, then with Covington) and when they created Hot Shit (later changed to Hot Tuna), they started opening for Airplane... So basically an Airplane concert started with a Hot Tuna set, then the Airplane set than the post-Airplane jamming, which meant that Casady and Jorma could play around four or five hours (sometimes six) per night.
    - Kantner recorded & released his BAtE solo album during that time (with some success too) and had also managed to record Sunfighter (released around the same time as Bark), this time with Grace credited .... And then they released Baron Von Tollbooth (this was Paul's nickname) And The Chrome Nun (Grace's nickname) with Freiberg in tow, before the Airplane die its slow death. By that time Casady and Jorma had lost total interest and quit soon after Winterland to concentrate on HT

All three Kantner solo albums are well worth a listen to progheads, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Where did Jorma Fall into all this? Was he out when it was still Hot Tuna?
    My guess is Jorma & Casady didn't care much for the Airplane by that time, since they were much busier with HT (both groups existed in parallel for three years) and probably held too little time for the mother group. They probably thought it was a good thing the "Airplane" was dropped after they left - sort of mark of respect.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    My guess is Jorma & Casady didn't care much for the Airplane by that time, since they were much busier with HT (both groups existed in parallel for three years) and probably held too little time for the mother group. They probably thought it was a good thing the "Airplane" was dropped after they left - sort of mark of respect.
    Jack and Jorma never "left." Nor did the band officially break up after Long John Silver, they just drifted apart. Jack and Jorma did contribute to the Baron Von Tollbooth album in '73, a year after the last Airplane gigs. When Kantner wanted to regroup in '74, his original intention was to start fresh with a new band name, but manager Bill Thompson convinced him to keep the continuity with the old band identity, so he revived the Jefferson Starship moniker that had previously appeared on his first solo album.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

^^^^

Thx

I guess Tamarkin tells it all in Got a Revolution book, but it's been a decade since I read it.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    From my understanding, the name changed when Paul reformed the group to reflect the more sci-fi oriented direction he wanted
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

I guess Tamarkin tells it all in Got a Revolution book, but it's been a decade since I read it.
    That's exactly where I got my info.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

This is kind of sad (probably), but the only Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship/Starship/ related songs I know are White Rabbit, Someone to Love, and We Built This City on Rock & Roll - so that's the Jefferson Airplane story and arc in my head. Quite the downfall.

This is kind of sad (probably), but the only Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship/Starship/ related songs I know are White Rabbit, Someone to Love, and We Built This City on Rock & Roll - so that's the Jefferson Airplane story and arc in my head. Quite the downfall.
    I was never a fan....I like the hit singles "Jane" and "Count On Me" and a few select other Jefferson Starship songs but thats about it....Same thing with Airplane, I know a few songs that I kinda like (like the ones you mentioned) but thats about it......I have given full albums a listen over the decades and just wasnt my cup o tea, overall (I like "Red Octopus")

but I do respect them: They were the embodiment of the San Francisco hippie movement and had a huge impact on the Flower Power scene in general.............they have a place in Rock n Roll History, for sure

I would imagine that you also know Miracles, and Volunteers. Possibly Plastic Fantastic Lover.

Crown of Creation is fantastic JA album, imo.

As I mentioned earlier, I think they did some really good music in between those periods, but opinions certainly vary on that. I also saw the Kantner / Thomas / Slick version of Jefferson Starship live several times and thought they kicked ass.

I watched the "Wet Hot American Summer" series recently and they used "Jane" as their theme song. Made me pull out their mid-to-late 70s stuff and add it back into the shuffle rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    I watched the "Wet Hot American Summer" series recently and they used "Jane" as their theme song. Made me pull out their mid-to-late 70s stuff and add it back into the shuffle rotation.
    I think that whole album is great. Not a clunker on it IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    +1
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I'm sure you heard Miracles, but you're probably not aware it was JS that did it.

also Balin on Vocals here

It's kind of too bad that while in The Starship, Grace wasn't the force she was in the Airplane, though... for she made two amazing studio albums: Manhole (74) and Dreams (78)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    Absolfuckinglutely

If you must do two studio albums, CoC and Surrealistic Pillow are it... You might want to round it up with After Bathing At Baxter

If you must do two studio albums, CoC and Surrealistic Pillow are it... You might want to round it up with After Bathing At Baxter
    That one's indispensable due to "Rejoyce" and "Won't You Try / Saturday Afternoon" alone IMO.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    That one's indispensable due to "Rejoyce" and "Won't You Try / Saturday Afternoon" alone IMO.
    Coming at it from the other direction, the only duds are "A Small Package" and the overlong "Spare Chaynge."
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Baxter's is far & away the most interesting (not necessarily the best) album JA ever made. "Won't/Saturday" & "Young Girl Sunday Blues" (Pre-Starship Balin's vocals have no equal in this band, ymmv of course). IMHO, both Paul & Grace could have used subsequently invented Auto -Tune technology way more than Marty back then.

"Today/Comin Back.." from SP remains for me one of the most exquisite chunks of writing & singing of the 1960s.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    IMHO, both Paul & Grace could have used subsequently invented Auto -Tune technology way more than Marty back then.
    I agree. Grace was a great performer. But, I never considered her to have a great voice. Her phrasing was very good, though.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The real answer is simple. They changed their name in order to not appear as a sixties rock dinosaur.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.