Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brain Salad Surgery reissue 2016

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Is 2016 the year, or the number of times BSS has been reissued?
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

My BSS vinyl.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Laura

Cookie Monster Guitarist Onomatopoeic's Avatar

And to add insult to injury -- yet again -- the 5.1 surround sound mix (one of the two 5.1 mixes that exist from the past) is not going to be available at all.

Sony/BMG should have released a Super Deluxe 2CD+2DVD or 2CD+BlueRayAudio version of BSS along with this new standard 2CD version.

I may pick this up. All I have is the original, and it just doesnt sound as good as it could.

Quote Originally Posted by Onomatopoeic View Post

And to add insult to injury -- yet again -- the 5.1 surround sound mix (one of the two 5.1 mixes that exist from the past) is not going to be available at all.

Sony/BMG should have released a Super Deluxe 2CD+2DVD or 2CD+BlueRayAudio version of BSS along with this new standard 2CD version.
    It is not Sony/BMG anymore. They are different companies these days. But yes, i agree. BMG should have re-released it as a 2cd/1bd-edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I think that would break the internet.
    You're probably right!

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    What are the alterations on the BSS remix? I don't have that one but just have the original BSS on vinyl.
    Jakko's remixes are ok, I just don't find they add any Quality, and some of the lead synth sounds tinny to me, where on the original Album it sounds fat. It's interesting because there are little details, like synth overdubs on Toccata that I'd never heard before, but there is also a reason they were quiet in the original mix...it supported the energy without grabbing attention. And the vocals on "Jerusalem" seem drowned in even more reverb than the original, which was already pushing it. All in all, I'll go for the original mix, which is nicely remastered on this set.

The new mix is on the DVD, the 2nd CD has "the alternative Brain Salad Surgery", which is fascinating but frustrating. The latter because the alternative versions aren't in the order of the original album (which every good "alternative" bootleg knows better). But it's interesting to hear alternate takes, instrumental versions, and additional cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by bburman View Post
    Jakko's remixes are ok, I just don't find they add any Quality, and some of the lead synth sounds tinny to me, where on the original Album it sounds fat. It's interesting because there are little details, like synth overdubs on Toccata that I'd never heard before, but there is also a reason they were quiet in the original mix...it supported the energy without grabbing attention. And the vocals on "Jerusalem" seem drowned in even more reverb than the original, which was already pushing it. All in all, I'll go for the original mix, which is nicely remastered on this set.

The new mix is on the DVD, the 2nd CD has "the alternative Brain Salad Surgery", which is fascinating but frustrating. The latter because the alternative versions aren't in the order of the original album (which every good "alternative" bootleg knows better). But it's interesting to hear alternate takes, instrumental versions, and additional cuts.
    I hate that. You kind of have to keep all of them hanging around because of the differences instead of the easier judgement of what sounds better.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    Is there a website that breaks down ELP's entire CD reissue history?
    You can always check things out on Discogs.

Right now they list 126 versions of Brain Salad Surgery. Since Discogs isn't always comprehensive, there may be more.

However there's also:

Emerson Lake & Palmer - 148 versions
    Tarkus - 142 versions
    Pictures At An Exhibition - 140 versions
    Trilogy - 147 versions

...So BSS has some catching up to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Miciah View Post

Right now they list 126 versions of Brain Salad Surgery. Since Discogs isn't always comprehensive, there may be more.

However there's also:

Tarkus - 142 versions
    Trilogy - 147 versions

Holy crap, that's even far more than I thought there was.

However there's also:

Tarkus - 142 versions
    Trilogy - 147 versions

Thanks. I wonder how much of that is really accurate? Maybe this will break the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Holy crap, that's even far more than I thought there was.
    But to keep it in perspective, you have to consider Led Zeppelin IV with 449 versions.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I have the 1999 Victor CD remaster. I don't think it ever gets great comments here, but it sounds fine to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I have the 1999 Victor CD remaster. I don't think it ever gets great comments here, but it sounds fine to me.
    I have the "Special Limited Edition" (as it was called at the time) digipak on the Victory label (Polygram) from 1993 (or was it '92?) is that the one you mean?

Or was there a Victor release in 1999?

I don't like those, where there is no gap between Impressions, 5 tracks only. Plus, Emerson's synths on this record sound very extreme, and most of CD editions miss it - synths sound too thin, in comparison to original LP. There are few albums, that cannot be replicated convincingly on CD...seems that BSS is one of those.

However there's also:

Tarkus - 142 versions
    Trilogy - 147 versions

No that's the metric count, you need to divide by 25.4 mm per inch

A BSS non-reissue-related question:

I heard KE9 3d impression on the radio today (ok, Sirius XM!), and when I heard the "Dust in the Wind" part, I wondered if the band have ever addressed this and mentioned why they put in that reference to Kansas - the line sung to the tune of Kansas' song? Did they like and/or know Kansas, or was it just a reference impossible to avoid because the song was so ubiquitous?

I heard KE9 3d impression on the radio today (ok, Sirius XM!), and when I heard the "Dust in the Wind" part, I wondered if the band have ever addressed this and mentioned why they put in that reference to Kansas - the line sung to the tune of Kansas' song? Did they like and/or know Kansas, or was it just a reference impossible to avoid because the song was so ubiquitous?
    Well, after they had successfully time-travelled four years into the future to when "Dust in the Wind" was recorded, they couldn't resist bragging about it.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Hey, I don't memorize what years these albums were released! It does sound like he's singing the Kansas song though, doesn't it?

Hey, I don't memorize what years these albums were released! It does sound like he's singing the Kansas song though, doesn't it?
    The Kansas song was from 1977. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_i...nd?wprov=sfla1

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    The Kansas song was from 1977. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_i...nd?wprov=sfla1

Wow, never would have guessed it was that late! Maybe Kansas paid tribute to ELP?

Wow, never would have guessed it was that late! Maybe Kansas paid tribute to ELP?
    errrrmmmmmm.....no.

The title of the song is a Bible reference, paraphrasing Ecclesiastes:
    “ I reflected on everything that is accomplished by man on earth, and I concluded:
    Everything he has accomplished is futile — like chasing the wind!”
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    errrrmmmmmm.....no.

The title of the song is a Bible reference, paraphrasing Ecclesiastes:
    “ I reflected on everything that is accomplished by man on earth, and I concluded:
    Everything he has accomplished is futile — like chasing the wind!”
    All I'm saying is it's sung similarly in both songs.

Jed... maybe time to cut your losses?

I believe the "similar" section in KE9 is in a major key, and the Kansas song is the ultimate minor-key song . So I'm just going to say no, you're making too much of a superficial similarity.

Got the latest CD today. I'll compare the sound to the original vinyl with my Sony MDR-7506 headphones.

Update: the vinyl sounds better than the CD. The CD lacks punch and sounds thin.

Last edited by lak611; 10-01-2016 at 02:54 AM.
    Laura