Thread: FEATURED CD: The Pineapple Thief - Tightly Unwound

FEATURED CD: The Pineapple Thief - Tightly Unwound

Today's feature is the 2008 release from The Pineapple Thief titled "Tightly Unwound". I was a fan before this disc came out, but Tightly Unwound is where I really ended up on board. I was digging music that was in the vein of PTree, Radiohead, Riverside, etc. at the time, and this fit the bill.

Review from ProgArchives:
    Let's face it: this might not be the band that you heavily consider as "prog", especially if you define prog as something like Yes, Genesis, Gentle Giant, Van der Graaf Generator, ELP, King Crimson. But if you open up your mind, this Somerset-based band, The Pineapple Thief, offers you their music which you might consider as modern progressive music. For sure, their music just cannot be considered as regular pop music and you can skim all tracks in this their 7-th album "Tightly Unwound". Personally, I was not inclined to have another spin after I listened to this album at the first time. And this album was my first experience with the band. What was my first reaction? It's a blend of RADIOHEAD plus BLACKFIELD (Steven Wilson's project), PORCUPINE TREE (not the metal part), MARILLION (h era) and a bit of PINK FLOYD.

"Radiohead embody everything that's great about prog."

That's not my statement, but it's a statement by the band during their interview with Classic Rock magazine (August 2008). The new edition of the magazine features also a free bonus CD titled "Prog Spawn" where one track "Tightly Wound" of The Pineapple Thief latest album is featured. I think, if you are prog head, you should have this magazine's August edition with you as there are many prog stuffs plus the nice prog bonus CD.

From their statement, it's clear that they use Radiohead as main influence even though they listened to 70s music Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. The opening track "My Debt to You" (5:19) did not stimulate my emotion at all at first spin. But it grew on me as I was interested with the soundscape the song produce. It reminded me to Porcupine Tree. "Shoot First" (4:12) enters with energy and dynamics especially to the excellent combination of acoustic guitar and drum as main rhythm section augmented beautifully with electric guitar effects and soundscapes. "Sinners" (4:52) reminds me to Pink Floyd with its kind of Floydian guitar. But when percussion enters and the vocal starts to sing, it reminds me to Porcupine Tree's kind of music. The singing style of The Pineapple Thief is quite alike with Steven Wilson. That's why I love this album.

"The Sorry State" (4:11) is a beautifully composed song with great melody and lyrics, tight composition - especially on the way vocal and guitar provide the ambient. It's really a great song. "Tightly Wound" (6:35) which has been put in Classic Rock bonus CD "Prog Spawn" is another great track as it has diverse styles. I like the way drum sound is set rough at the beginning of the track and also the dragging vocal line. The other track that's worth observing is "Different World" (10:44) where it has multi-structure composition with nice insertion of drum solo in the middle of the track. And I recommend you to observe the last and the longest track "Too Much To Loose" (15:12). What do you think?

Overall, I consider this album as an excellent addition to any prog music collection that every home (of prog head) must have it. The composition is tight, combined with great soundscapes, and sound effects that create great ambient for the album in its entirety. Highly recommended. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW (i-Rock! Music Community) - Gatot

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I bought this in preparation for my first Nearfest which they were playing. It's rather heavily Porcupine Tree influenced and while it's a nice enough album I don't really find anything to grab me. If it comes up on shuffle I don't bounce to the next track but I doubt I've actively looked to play it since I got it.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I liked it at the time of its release but haven't revisited since that time.

I've tried to like TPT, I had a couple of their earlier albums when they were on Cyclops. I liked the PT/SW impersonations but it wore a bit thin after a while, I sold those albums and have not heard much since that I like. Sorry.

I found my copy and will play it again.

Ironically I'm not impressed with this band in the live setting but find myself constantly re-upping on their studio output. I don't always listen to it but find it suits my mood from time to time. They strike me as more of a Radiohead influence.

Put me in the 'meh' category as well. I tried to like this, but parts of it just weren't to my taste, then or now...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I have and like all The Pineapple Thief cds but 'Tightly Unwound' is one of my favorites of their catalogue. I find it to be a perfect companion to '10 Stories Down' which I consider to be their best, imho.

Big fan of this one here.

I went back, after a number of years, and played Tightly Unwound. I really like it.

I have somewhere a double CD compilation of theirs. 3000 something... To my ears it is nice wallpaper music to relax to. Didn't feel the need to investigate more.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

If you have not confined yourself to genres or categories of music, and look at The Pineapple Thief with an open mind, then I think they are a great band.

They dont try to give the feel that they are from the 70s and, imo, they sound nothing like any of todays bands.

When you look at the range of their total output you will find that it is very varied and all of consistent quality.

With a new album on the way you cannot second guess what it will sound like.

Haven't heard this one but overall they're a pretty cool band.
    The Prog Corner

Your Wilderness, their 11th studio album, showcases the band performing without any inhibitions providing a springboard for the ongoing creative growth of The Pineapple Thief.

For the first time, The Pineapple Thief has brought in several special guest performers. “Since our last album Magnolia, the most eye catching change is obviously having Gavin Harrison contribute drums throughout the album” explains Bruce Soord. “This has not only redefined our sound but also redefined how we approached the songs as a band. Gavin’s drumming is technically brilliant but also incredibly musical, and it inspired all of us to raise our game. I’ve also rediscovered my progressive roots in terms of song-writing and arrangement. Added to that, we were lucky enough to have John Helliwell from Supertramp contribute some beautiful clarinet parts and Geoffrey Richardson (Caravan) provided a string quartet. We were also joined by a lovely 4 piece choir and to cap it all off, my friend Darran Charles (Godsticks) added some jaw dropping guitar playing… You’ve never heard a The Pineapple Thief album like this one! I am convinced people will love this record as much as we do.”

Great band, no matter what genre one wishes to pigeonhole them into. I've got this one, All the Wars, and Someone Here is Missing. Didn't really get into Magnolia when it came out and I streamed it. I suppose I should give it another try. If Gavin Harrison is drumming on the new one that might be reason enough to get it.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Porcupine Tree style atmospherics... without the hooks. They need to rock more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Great band, no matter what genre one wishes to pigeonhole them into. I've got this one, All the Wars, and Someone Here is Missing. Didn't really get into Magnolia when it came out and I streamed it. I suppose I should give it another try. If Gavin Harrison is drumming on the new one that might be reason enough to get it.
    Agreed but you really must give Magnolia another spin. The last 3 tracks on that album, for me, are quite magnificent.

Bruce Soord must also be making a name for himself on the mixing side of things. I noticed that he has recently been working on albums by Riverside and Gong

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Magnolia was the first "step down" for me personally. I like parts of it, but can't get into most of it. The previous 4 albums had songs that hooked me immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Porcupine Tree style atmospherics... without the hooks. They need to rock more.
    You're entitled to your opinion of course, but did you listen to the Shoot First track in the opening post? It rocks, it hooks, and it's PT style atmospherics.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Magnolia was the first "step down" for me personally. I like parts of it, but can't get into most of it. The previous 4 albums had songs that hooked me immediately.
    For me it was the previous album to Magnolia called All The Wars that just didn't do a lot for me and I've been a fan from Abducting The Unicorn on. I skipped Magnolia but Your Wilderness sounds promising enough to pick up.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

I've sampled this band in the past as they get a bit of a buzz here. I never heard much that would attract me, but I gave the two samples above a shot. Shoot First is a nice little riff in 7 with pretty good energy. I wish they'd done something more interesting in the middle, that "solo" section really doesn't contribute much and I think in some ways distracts from the feel of the piece. Too Much to Lose just seems to wander all over the place. I don't find any of the section particularly compelling and the composition doesn't really hang together as a unit, imo.

This is pretty much what I remember from sampling this band before. I guess I can see why these guys are discussed here, parts of these songs remind me a bit of post Nucleus Anekdoten, or Landberk at times; and people have already mentioned Radiohead and PT. But I'm struggling to hear what these guys bring to the table that those other bands don't, I just don't hear much that is really "special" here.

Bill

Jon Neudorf
    I like this one alot but Magnolia is my favourite thus far.

Regards,
    Jon

Must admit that I always think a band is doing a good job when different albums slit opinion as to which people prefer. And that is the only comparison I can make with PT. Different people enjoyed different albums from their vast and varied catalogue.

Bruce Soord and Steven Wilson are both great writers in my opinion but come from different starting points. SW is single and in his words enjoys storywriting. Bruce is a family man and his writing comes from a totally different angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I guess I can see why these guys are discussed here, parts of these songs remind me a bit of post Nucleus Anekdoten, or Landberk at times; and people have already mentioned Radiohead and PT. But I'm struggling to hear what these guys bring to the table that those other bands don't, I just don't hear much that is really "special" here.
    Thanks, Bill. For myself, I wouldn't refer to them as 'special' or say that they are bringing something new to the table, but they have released a lot of music that I enjoy. When they played NEARFest, a lot of people seemed turned off. "Why are these guys playing a PROG festival?" AFAIC, they are fish out of water to some degree here at PE. There aren't a great deal of bands that have had success in the prog world who trace their roots more to the 90s than the 70s. At their core, they might be more comfortably labeled as an indie rock band with "prog tendencies". For me, they scratch that itch of a group that is embracing a more modern sound and modern influences, while straddling the line between rock and prog.

Maybe more simply put (speaking for myself), there's an accessibility there that I enjoy. I feel the same way about PTree, Muse, Pure Reason Revolution, Anathema, and a host of other groups that aren't full blown prog rock nor driven by the 70s. Since there aren't a whole pile of groups focusing on that sound, maybe that makes them "special" in a way after all?

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Thanks, Bill. For myself, I wouldn't refer to them as 'special' or say that they are bringing something new to the table, but they have released a lot of music that I enjoy. When they played NEARFest, a lot of people seemed turned off. "Why are these guys playing a PROG festival?" AFAIC, they are fish out of water to some degree here at PE. There aren't a great deal of bands that have had success in the prog world who trace their roots more to the 90s than the 70s. At their core, they might be more comfortably labeled as an indie rock band with "prog tendencies". For me, they scratch that itch of a group that is embracing a more modern sound and modern influences, while straddling the line between rock and prog.

Maybe more simply put (speaking for myself), there's an accessibility there that I enjoy. I feel the same way about PTree, Muse, Pure Reason Revolution, Anathema, and a host of other groups that aren't full blown prog rock nor driven by the 70s. Since there aren't a whole pile of groups focusing on that sound, maybe that makes them "special" in a way after all?
    I hear you. In the end, it's all about enjoyment, and if folks enjoy stuff like this, more power to them.

For more "accessible" music, I tend toward the blusier/rootsier side of things. When rock bands start to inject "prog tendencies" into things, it's like a switch in my head, and my paradigm shifts. I start wanting the balance to be more "proggy," and bands like this rarely deliver on that for fear of losing mainstream accessibility. So it all winds up sounding a bit wishy-washy, to me. But that's me.

I'm not closed to bands with more modern influences, but (again, for me) if they're going to swim in the proggy pool, there needs to be a bit more meat on the bones. For a band that has a more modern sound, retains accessibility, but is more weighted toward the "proggy" side, I'd cite The Mercury Tree. I need to pick up their new album to see how they are progressing.

Bill