Thread: New John Wesley Album (w/ Sean Malone, Mark Prator)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

New John Wesley Album (w/ Sean Malone, Mark Prator)

I'm pretty psyched for this album, and seeing Wes open for Marillion in NYC and I might be at Philly and/or DC. Mark Prator is from Iced Earth.

New John Wesley Album & Upcoming North American Tour Dates!

My new album, 'a way you'll never be' is scheduled for release on October 7, 2016 on InsideOut Music!

’a way you’ll never be’ was a fairly big step for me in that I have worked extremely hard at bringing the two sides of my writing together: the “acoustic singer songwriter” and the “electric heavy guitar” elements. This album is most certainly the set of songs that has successfully combined my introspective lyrics with the aggressive type of guitar playing and writing that I love.

The album will feature Mark Prator on drums & percussion, and Sean Malone (Cynic) on Bass. The themes of the lyrics, the melodies, and the playing make these my favourite, most cohesive and adventurous set of tracks to date. Stylistically the songs revisit some of the guitar music of the 70’s that grabbed me and made me want to be a guitarist. Sonically I combined those 70’s big guitar tones with the modern sounds available to us as guitarists today.

Details on the pre-sale, formats, and availability will be released soon!

In support of the album, I will head out as support to Marillion and Steven Wilson in the US & Canada tours on the dates below:

With Marillion:
    Friday 21 October 2016 - The Regency Ballroom San Francisco, CA, USA
    Saturday 22 October 2016 - Saban Theater Beverly Hills Beverly Hills, CA, USA
    Tuesday 25 October 2016 - Paramount Theatre Denver, CO, USA
    Thursday 27 October 2016 - Vic Theatre Chicago, IL, USA
    Friday 28 October 2016 - Vic Theatre Chicago, IL, USA
    Saturday 29 October 2016 - Hard Rock Live Northfield, OH, USA
    Monday 31 October 2016 - Danforth Music Hall Toronto, ON, Canada
    Tuesday 1 November 2016 - Virgin Mobile Corona Theatre Montreal, QC, Canada
    Wednesday 2 November 2016 - L'Impérial Bell Québec, QC, Canada
    Friday 4 November 2016 - Royale Boston Boston, MA, USA
    Saturday 5 November 2016 - 9:30 Club Washington, DC, USA
    Sunday 6 November 2016 - Keswick Theatre Philadelphia, PA, USA
    Tuesday 8 November 2016 - Playstation Theater New York, NY, USA

With Steven Wilson:
    Thursday 17 November 2016 – Center Stage Atlanta, GA, USA
    Friday 18 November 2016 – The Plaza Live Orlando, FL, USA
    Saturday 19 November – State Theatre Tampa, FL, USA
    Sunday 20 November – Culture Room Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
    Details on each tour date are listed on my website at http://www.john-wesley.com/tour-dates/

I hope to see you at one of my shows soon!

Auto buy for me. I thought his last one was really good.

Gonna see both Chicago shows. Always good to catch John. He even still remembers me from the Web USA convention back in 1994.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigpicturekeys View Post
    Gonna see both Chicago shows. Always good to catch John. He even still remembers me from the Web USA convention back in 1994.
    He should! That was an important event in US Marillion fandom! Probably the FIRST event in US Marillion fandom. Plus, we all froze our asses off! You know, that one night is the only time I've ever been in Chicago - Windy City indeed. Man that was a good time, though. So exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpicturekeys View Post
    I assume the Marillion tour is just John solo again. I would really like to see him with a full band sometime.

Apologies if this has appeared elsewhere on PE but there is a track from the new album up on youtube. I like it.

"One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff O'Donoghue View Post
    I like it.
    That was pretty spectacular. Not to sell Wes short - he's a man of tremendous talent and his early albums were in constant rotation on my CD player back in the day - but 10 or so years in Porcupine Tree is definitely showing here. Really looking forward to this album.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    That was pretty spectacular. Not to sell Wes short - he's a man of tremendous talent and his early albums were in constant rotation on my CD player back in the day - but 10 or so years in Porcupine Tree is definitely showing here. Really looking forward to this album.
    I thought his last album was very Porcupine Tree influenced as well. Not a bad thing at all!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I thought his last album was very Porcupine Tree influenced as well. Not a bad thing at all!
    Same here. I really enjoyed Disconnect. Saw him play live with Sean Malone. sounded great.

New track sounds like a good continuation.

Really hope John and Steven do something together at the show here in Atl in Nov.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I'll check it out. Ashamed to admit I kind of fell away from his output in recent years.

Yes it was. We had a blast playing it. I have a bootleg cassette of John's set that followed ours. I kiddingly keep telling him I'm gonna release it. That was one cold January night in Chicago area. I think we got like 10 inches of snow and subzero temps to follow.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    He should! That was an important event in US Marillion fandom! Probably the FIRST event in US Marillion fandom. Plus, we all froze our asses off! You know, that one night is the only time I've ever been in Chicago - Windy City indeed. Man that was a good time, though. So exciting.

Oooh, this is a cool track! Reminds me of Porcupine Tree indeed.

Listening to this at my desk right now. If you pre-ordered from amazon it's on its way, and your mp3s are available for download.

I pre-ordered, but has not arrived yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ier View Post
    For the people who are interested, I wrote a review of this album
    Nice review! I'm hoping to pick it up eventually.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

Really liking this new album from John. A little heavier than Disconnect (which was a great album as well). Steven Wilson indicated he would not revisit Porcupine Tree if he has to do all the writing. I think he has a competent songwriter in the form of John Wesley to help shoulder the load. Would love to hear what they come up together.

BRING BACK THE TREE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Really liking this new album from John. A little heavier than Disconnect (which was a great album as well). Steven Wilson indicated he would not revisit Porcupine Tree if he has to do all the writing. I think he has a competent songwriter in the form of John Wesley to help shoulder the load. Would love to hear what they come up together.

BRING BACK THE TREE!!
    We've discussed this here before, but it's worth revisiting: PT without Wilson - "Steven Less" as others have called it - would be a force worth listening to. What's Harrison up to during the current KC break? They should get on this in early 2017. Someone tell them.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    We've discussed this here before, but it's worth revisiting: PT without Wilson - "Steven Less" as others have called it - would be a force worth listening to. What's Harrison up to during the current KC break? They should get on this in early 2017. Someone tell them.
    Last I saw Gavin was touring with The Pineapple Thief. He's definitely staying busy.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.