Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TEE (The Earth Explorere) Japansese Prog

TEE (The Earth Explorere) Japansese Prog

So I took a chance on this band's new 2016 album, Tales of Eternal Entities, and I really enjoyed it. So I hunted down their previous two, The Earth Explorer, and Trans Europe Express. I've given them all a few spins now, and I have to say I'm digging all of them.

TEE are instrumental (with an occasional sung melody, but no vocals) who bridge between a Fusion/Rock Kenso-like sound, and a lighter, more lyrical style. Camel is sited as a reference point because of the flute, and that's fair at times, but they tend to be a bit more consistently aggressive than the more recent Camel stuff.

So, some solid symph-style Prog with good melodic development, and nice variety on the three albums, and within each album from track to track. I hadn't seen these guys mentioned before so I thought I'd toss their name out there, as they're a band I've been happy to discover.

Some information and samples are below, and if there are any other fans, please chime it! And if anyone knows any other band of this nature from Japan or elsewhere, please let me know.

Bill

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=4991

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCb7M74Z7mo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLdL5IvOS_U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOxmoANGBEM

A very good band, I like all their Albums. Their keyboardist played with "Interpose+" before, which can be also recommended (at least their first Album is awesome).

I would like to also mention: "Stella Lee Jones", KBB and ptf and of course "Electric Asturias".

Stella Lee Jones (second Album to be out soon)

Interpose+

Thanks for the heads-up. Bill! I don't have the most recent one, but I have the other two and find them highly enjoyable. Their guitarist posts here occasionally. His handle is francofrehley.

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...Earth+Explorer

Love the first 2, and the new CD has sat here for some time, but I just haven't heard it yet. I also hear more obscure bands in their sound like Solaris and Asia Minor, both groups I'm sure TEE are familiar with, since they definitely are known among the Japanese progressive rock collecting set.

Worth noting that members of TEE were involved with the latest French TV album as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    A very good band, I like all their Albums. Their keyboardist played with "Interpose+" before, which can be also recommended (at least their first Album is awesome).

I would like to also mention: "Stella Lee Jones", KBB and ptf and of course "Electric Asturias".
    I have the Stella Lee Jones, and really like that album. Great to see they're coming out with a new one, auto-buy for me. I also really like the last couple of Electric Asturias albums, and actually they are also a decent reference point for TEE as well.

KBB and PTF I was less blown away by. Both these bands are definitely in the same vein as TEE, but for whatever reason TEE does it for me, and these two do not. But fans of these bands should take note, I definitely think TEE would appeal to KBB and FTF fans. Interpose+ I do not know, so I will be checking out the sample you posted, thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up. Bill! I don't have the most recent one, but I have the other two and find them highly enjoyable. Their guitarist posts here occasionally. His handle is francofrehley.
    Awesome, I don't recall seeing any of his posts. I hope he will post in this thread and say "hi." I'd love to know more about TEE and their activities in Japan.

Bill

Damn! I hardly need to say anything here! But yes, if you like TEE, try the other “three-letter” bands, KBB and ptf. That new KBB album is really good, and I really love both of the ptf discs. I can also vouch for that debut Interpose+ album. The second CD by them, Indifferent, tends to net lukewarm reviews, but what I’ve heard of the long-awaited third (Memories in the Wind) has been promising. Note that Interpose+ is not instrumental, they have female vocals, but Sayuri Aruga has an excellent voice. There’s a bit of crossover between them and Ars Nova (with S. A. guest-singing with Ars Nova live. Shinko “Panky” Shibata, former Ars Nova bass player, now plays with Interpose+).

Maybe Head Pop Up, who I don’t think have been mentioned yet. They made one interesting, Canterbury-esque album about a decade ago, then just disappeared. I mention, because I’m listening to the Stella Lee Jones track someone else posted, and it reminds me of them.

Also Kenso, obviously, but I get the feeling you already know them!
    Last edited by Progbear; 07-16-2016 at 10:46 PM.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Maybe Head Pop Up, who I don’t think have been mentioned yet. They made one interesting, Canterbury-esque album about a decade ago, then just disappeared. I mention, because I’m listening to the Stella Lee Jones track someone else posted, and it reminds me of them.
    Totally. I have the head Pop Up and really like that one too, good call!

I listened to the Interpose+ sample. Reminded me a bit of Anekdoten, it has that kind of "Gothy" feel. I'll give that a few more listens and see if it's something I might bit on.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by prestonplatform View Post
    Cool, good review for them. The review mentions a band called Qui that I've never heard of and looks interesting as well. Thanks!

Bill

Thanks for mentioning "Head Pop Up" they somehow escaped me, found some samples which sounded great.

Other bands I like who are somewhat in this direction:

The great Ashada (sadly they made only one Album)

but they have a followup band with some members of Ashada:

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Cool, good review for them. The review mentions a band called Qui that I've never heard of and looks interesting as well. Thanks!

Bill
    Qui are a fine Jazz Rock band and still exist. I think they played at ProgDay once.

The Japanese fusion/symphonic-progressive rock scene is full of gems that are well worth discovering. Yuka & Chronoship is another band that has three albums out, somewhat in a similar vein:

Kennedy has recently released a new album after more than 20 years in hiatus:

There are a lot more that I can recommend (GAOS, Mongol, Power Job, Djamra, Bandvivil, MorSof, Show Yen, Naikaku, ExhiVision, Fragile, Prism, Flat 122, Keep, Trix, Rinnesya, RX, TRI-Offensive, Sixnorth, Fazjaz, WYSIWYG, Igzit-Nine), if you are interested. Some of these are, unfortunately, OOP, but you can still get samples on YouTube.

A-ha, for a while I wanted to mention this band because I don't recall ever seeing it mentioned here. This thread seems like the right place. Jizue has already 5 albums released, starting in 2010. I find the music very refreshing:

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    The Japanese fusion/symphonic-progressive rock scene is full of gems that are well worth discovering. Yuka & Chronoship is another band that has three albums out, somewhat in a similar vein... Kennedy has recently released a new album after more than 20 years in hiatus:... There are a lot more that I can recommend (GAOS, Mongol, Power Job, Djamra, Bandvivil, MorSof, Show Yen, Naikaku, ExhiVision, Fragile, Prism, Flat 122, Keep, Trix, Rinnesya, RX, TRI-Offensive, Sixnorth, Fazjaz, WYSIWYG, Igzit-Nine), if you are interested. Some of these are, unfortunately, OOP, but you can still get samples on YouTube.
    I'm aware of many of these. I have the Yuke & Chronoship stuff, Mongl, and probably my favorite of the bunch, Igzit Nine. Some others I've heard or owned and they didn't really do it for me, Naikaku and SixNorth for example. Not saying they're bad, just didn't hit the right balance for me.

But I'll definitely check out some of the ones you mention I'm not familiar with. I sampled Tri-Offensive the other day along with the Qui, and both of those are now on my buylist.

Thanks!

Bill

There is still lots of good bands left on the Avant/Jazz Rock- Fusion side of japanese Prog. The Symphonic-Progressive side is rather gone.

Apart from Yuka & Chronoship there might be Tsuki Usagi (Moon Rabbit) and Ars Nova still alive but not recording much. A few bands that do record but
    no one knows are Goma(Gomaworld) or Yebis. There is also a band called Romanza who seem to be very much into Pageant (not sure if that is the same band as Romanza Bekkan)

The Guitarist and the Keyboardist of Igzit Nine still play with the bands Magnetnotez and Enciphers & Deciphers (which also has a member of Stella Lee Jones).

There might be still "Nuovo Immigrato" which feature lots of old stars from Novela, White Fang, ExhiVision etc., but are just sometimes really Prog.

Also very good are Cichla temensis (also connected to Enciphers & Deciphers) and Margaret Maggie (Celtic Folk Prog).

I kinda like Neo Zonk (who also recorded as Zonk Monk) a female Keyboard Duo with a male Drummer.

If you like Violin driven stuff there is a Girls band (featuring one of the Neo Zonk ladies) called "Sword of the Far East" which are not really Prog but got lots of energy.

Does anyone know what else is going on there???

Hi Bill, folks,

Thank you very much for bringing us up here. We are honored!

I'm glad to know that you have dug us quite well. I am giving little more about our backgrounds.
    Since the origin of the band was an Euro rock cover band, the earlier materials got more influenced by the Euro prog classics. We covered Area, PFM and Asia Minor.
    I, as a song writer, were especially fascinated by smooth time signature transitions in some Asia Minor songs. I also a big fan of PFM, that is the reason why I call myself francofrehley. I am a big fan of KISS as well, you probably can notice
    The band has been making efforts to make songs not only for the hard prog lovers but also for all the music lovers. That is the main reason why we maintain good melodies which represent each songs. I think this policy should distinguish us to the other Japanese prog bands who tend to be more technical which often results 'difficult to understand'.
    Please also note that all the TEE songs have definite scenes/themes. It can be a real place or an existing natural phenomenon. You can read them on the song titles. We want the listeners to image those scenes by listening to the songs.
    We believe the TEE music is easygoing, relaxing and enjoyable for everyone.

ashratom mentioned that I have joined French TV. Yes. The French TV #11 where I played all the guitars has been released in March. In the release, my fellow TEE band mate, Ryuji Yonekura, played keys on two songs. It is a very good album I can be proud of. Although it is somewhat very different to the TEE releases, I still recommend you to check it.
    I am working on the French TV #12 now. Mike Sary and I are aiming to release it within a year from now.

I hope to hear more about TEE and the Japanese prog music from you.
    Please stay tuned!
    Last edited by francofrehley; 07-18-2016 at 11:33 PM.
    Landscaping progressive rock band from Tokyo.
    TEE

Nice to hear from you again! I really enjoy your band's music and have bought each album as you have released it. I just got Tales of Ethereal Entities the other day from CD Baby (digital download). Your description of your band's music is perfect - TEE has just the right blend of melodicism and rock for my personal tastes, so I look forward to every release.

Please come to play in Korea if you can. It's only a 2-hour flight There is a small but highly passionate progressive rock crowd here who would no doubt welcome you.

BTW, I was at the PFM concert at the LG Art Center in Seoul in 2006, and it was a truly memorable experience that the audience thoroughly enjoyed.

Finally, thanks for joining in on the discussion. I was hoping you would!

Hi Katsumi!

Thanks for chiming in. I echo what Bruce said that your description of your band's music is spot on. It is very accessible, but from my perspective it also doesn't lose the "interest" factor for people who like a little more substance and don't like things to become too overwhelmingly saccharine. So TEE has struck a really good balance, imo, and I thought deserved a thread of their own here where there would likely be a lot of potential fans.

I haven't had the albums long enough to get too deep, but I'll do as you suggest and read the titles and see if the songs evoke the moods you are shooting for. My guess is they will.

Interesting that you hooked up with Mike for the new FTV stuff, I will check that out. How did that contact come about? Also, does TEE play a lot in Japan? Are there venues for performance there of music like this? It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the scene in your country.

Anyway, all the best. I've really been enjoying your albums, and look forward to exploring them more.

Bill

Katsumi - enjoy your Earth Explorer album a lot.

Just wanted to point out, someone may have keyed 'groundbreaking' into a Japanese-English translator and it returned 'landscaping' - You could find a better English description for your band. Unless your band also does lawn service. :-)

"Landscaping progressive rock band from Tokyo."
    TEE
    A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    There is still lots of good bands left on the Avant/Jazz Rock- Fusion side of japanese Prog. The Symphonic-Progressive side is rather gone.

Apart from Yuka & Chronoship there might be Tsuki Usagi (Moon Rabbit) and Ars Nova still alive but not recording much. A few bands that do record but
    no one knows are Goma(Gomaworld) or Yebis. There is also a band called Romanza who seem to be very much into Pageant (not sure if that is the same band as Romanza Bekkan)

The Guitarist and the Keyboardist of Igzit Nine still play with the bands Magnetnotez and Enciphers & Deciphers (which also has a member of Stella Lee Jones).

There might be still "Nuovo Immigrato" which feature lots of old stars from Novela, White Fang, ExhiVision etc., but are just sometimes really Prog.

Also very good are Cichla temensis (also connected to Enciphers & Deciphers) and Margaret Maggie (Celtic Folk Prog).

I kinda like Neo Zonk (who also recorded as Zonk Monk) a female Keyboard Duo with a male Drummer.

If you like Violin driven stuff there is a Girls band (featuring one of the Neo Zonk ladies) called "Sword of the Far East" which are not really Prog but got lots of energy.

Does anyone know what else is going on there???
    Some of this stuff is really hard to come by as they look like Japan only releases excepting Tsuki Usagi. Musea/Musea Parallele Records has a few other bands that can be listed on this thread:

Minoke?, Fox Hole Commune, Bible Black, Trio 96, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Please come to play in Korea if you can. It's only a 2-hour flight There is a small but highly passionate progressive rock crowd here who would no doubt welcome you.
    That would be great if we could visit Korea or any other countries.
    The last and the first ever oversea visit was Prog Sud 2010. The band is willing to participate prog festivals like RosFest, Crescendo, etc. if we have a chance.
    Any advise, endorsement would be appreciated.
    TEE

Quote Originally Posted by raconteur troubadour View Post
    Just wanted to point out, someone may have keyed 'groundbreaking' into a Japanese-English translator and it returned 'landscaping' - You could find a better English description for your band. Unless your band also does lawn service. :-)
    Good suggestion! Unfortunately we don't do lawn service.
    Please let me know if you can think of any better word(s) to describe us.
    Last edited by francofrehley; 07-19-2016 at 09:25 PM.
    TEE

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Interesting that you hooked up with Mike for the new FTV stuff, I will check that out. How did that contact come about? Also, does TEE play a lot in Japan? Are there venues for performance there of music like this? It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the scene in your country.
    Mike and I have been knowing each other for years. We have been exchanging ideas from time to time. Mike gave me an offer for FTV 11th last year and why not!

There are few venues in Tokyo where the existing prog bands can hold a gig. The bands you guys listed (KBB, Stella Lee Jones, Yuka & Chronoship, ptf, Interpose+, etc.) are around and we sometimes share a venue to have a two~three bands event. However, those venues are not big, mostly around 100 capacity. Moreover, we are too obscure to fill the venues every time. So not many bands have gigs on a regular basis. For us, 2~3 times a year. We wish we could have a prog festival like Prog Sud, RosFest, Crescendo with a bigger venue and larger audience.
    Last edited by francofrehley; 07-19-2016 at 09:59 PM.
    TEE

here's a few that fit the bill...and good luck finding that 2nd Qui album!

Korenos
    Yajuh Ohkoku
    Tetsuo Sakurai
    Takashi Masuzaki
    Daisuke Kunita
    Kozo Suganuma
    Kyoji Yamamoto
    Akira Wada & Hideo Yamaki
    Ottottrio
    Daita
    Jimsaku
    Issei Noro
    Kiyomi Otaka
    Tak Matsumoto
    Kehell
    Akira Takasaki
    Gravitational Force Field
    Spark7
    CROW'SCLAW
    Yuya Komoguchi
    Toshimi Project
    G5 Project
    Kimio Mizutani
    OWKMJ

Baraka - Five Rings (Shade of Evolution/2010)

Clean Of Core - Pipe Line (Spectacle/2009)

LAGITAGIDA - TUTELA!! (TUTELA!! /2013)

i.ain't.dead.irock