Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mike Keneally: Any friends (and friends only) of this current prog artist.

Mike is the real deal. A lovely guy, fantastic musician and an all around mensch. And, most importantly, as Kerry says, a most gracious soul

Rock on, Mr. Keneally!

Sam. What a great tune, eh? Yes.
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Love Mike!

Around ten years ago,in the dead of winter, I saw him at a Taylor guitar clinc with Brian Beller.

He sang and played Inca Roads on a bone dry acoustic that was insane!!!

I'll never forget that.
    I was at one of those clinics back then. Mike flung a pack of guitar strings at my head for correctly answering a question. By some miracle I caught them!

Are those CDs of Scambot 2 shipping yet? I need to order up one.

I started with Sluggo then went backward and forward to fill out the catelog

I'll never forget the unplanned improv session at the NEARfest afterparty.

People were throwing every obscure request at him and he was handling em like butter

Yet another zealous bozo on Mike's bus!

A word used before in this thread, but my one word summation of MK's talent is "staggering".
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I don't remember who said it but someone once referred to Mike's music using several words I never heard of, much less could pronounce. narrowing it down for us simple folk, the person simply suggested it was "Keneallian"....word!
    i.ain't.dead.irock

I saw him the first time with Steve Vai, and it made for a memorable night of guitar craziness. I always wondered if Vai or Ibanez convinced him to use Ibanez guitars on that tour. I mean, they're great playing instruments (really! The Vai Jem make look goofy, but it plays really well), but that's not normally what I saw in his hands on other tours.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Mike is butter!!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Good a time as any for some MK immersion tomorrow:

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...night-EST-info
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Very much a fan. Discovered him late but connected with his music thanks to many recommendations from NEARfest patrons. Absolutely adore his recent songwriting collaboration with Andy Partridge.

Everything and anything he touches is auto-buy for me. Seen him live many times, always great. Too many great moments, but Flowerking and I were picking our jaws up off the floor after his rendition of Inca Roads in Cincinnati a few years back. And I love his humor, once in Chicago, someone in the audience kept yelling for 'Monster' (presumably Aye-Aye Monster from The Mistakes album), and instead he breaks out briefly into the Steppenwolf song...LOL

Been listening for years after realizing he was a contributor to THE BEST BAND YOU NEVER HEARD IN YOUR LIFE................love his work.

My "path to Keneally" started with the Zappa's Universe video. At the time Zappa vids were pretty hard to find in the UK...and so Joff and me (from Sanguine Hum) really devoured this - especially the insane vocal/guitar unison stuff in Jazz Discharge Party Hats. A few years later, we caught Steve Vai's Ultra Zone tour and went nuts as Mike and Steve burst into a little bit of Uncle Meat And it wasn't too long after that that I took the plunge and ordered the album Wooden Smoke, which pretty much instantly entered my all time top 10. Caught two more shows...one in a little pub near Swindon, UK that had Dave from XTC guesting. The pub was so totally rammed that I pretty much only got to see Mike on a TV screen right at the back - but it was awesome anyway, including a solo version of Paranoid Android. Then most recently at the Borderline in London.

The new Scambot 2 is continuing to sound like one of the very best MK albums of the bunch. Can't wait for "physical" to arrive.

Matt.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    I had heard Mike's name, but had not heard a lick of his music until Finneus Gauge opened for Beer for Dolphins at Upstairs at Nick's in Philly back in 1996. When they took the stage after FG's set, I was blown away. They opened with "Cause of Breakfast" and I was hooked. I bought "Boil That Dust Speck" at their merch table immediately and have never looked back. I've met Mike several times since and obviously invited him to place NEARfest on two occasions. He and Bryan Beller's performances at the after-party jam in 2012 was epic. Mike could not be a nicer guy.
    Chad

I got to see Beer For Dolphins a looooong time ago opening for Steve Vai, first i was knocked out by BFD then amazed seeing Mike as a support player going toe to toe with Vai. Picked up a copy of Hat from that show and been a huge fan ever since. Besides being a hugely talented musician he can hit you with a beautiful little gem like this -

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    I got to see Beer For Dolphins a looooong time ago opening for Steve Vai, first i was knocked out by BFD then amazed seeing Mike as a support player going toe to toe with Vai. Picked up a copy of Hat from that show and been a huge fan ever since. Besides being a hugely talented musician he can hit you with a beautiful little gem like this -

One of my favorite songs by anyone, ever.

Got my Scambot 2 shipping notice!
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Count me in as a fan. His music is so eclectic that there are definitely some albums I like more than others, but they all have their moments. “Dancing” and “Wooden Smoke” are probably my favorites. Of course live, Mike is incredible and like his albums, his shows are all over the place musically. When he played ProgDay in 05, he and his manager were very easy to deal with and appeared to be genuinely really nice guys.

Jefferson James
    "I saw me melt when I felt your tongue on my chin."

I dunno, "Wine and Pickles" might just be my favorite Mike album. This particular song pretty much tears me to shreds like so much string cheese.

"You're as fucked as you can be."

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post

MK & BFD upcoming NYC gig- http://theiridium.com/events/5224/mi...on-band-25-35/ All dates here- http://www.keneally.com/live/
    If anyone is not familiar with this brilliant musician, click this- www.radiokeneally.com All MK, all the time! Very cool indeed.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Just witness his solo rendition of Inca Roads. Who else would have the audacity to pull this off?

"Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

I love his work.
    The orchestral album, The Universe Will Provide, really hooked me in.
    I had a couple of days when first listening to You Must Be This Tall where I got stuck on Cavanaugh. I just couldn't listen to anything else. It's so everything I love.
    I'm listening to it now as I'm typing this and very much reminded why that was.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickleback View Post
    Just witness his solo rendition of Inca Roads. Who else would have the audacity to pull this off?
    WOW! That was insane...

Would "You Must Be This Tall" be a good place to start for the novice?
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

The first album I got was Boil That Dust Speck. The song Scotch is so heavy I once described it as Marlon Brando shifting on a creaking wooden toilet seat. Other faves include Sluggo, Dancing and the amazing Dog. Think I'll take Dog to work today.

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    WOW! That was insane...

Would "You Must Be This Tall" be a good place to start for the novice?
    It could for sure, but you might get hooked in more with Sluggo! and/or Dancing, right off the top. Hard for me to say, since I have followed him since the beginning and have seen the evolution, which is staggering in and of itself. Boil that Dust Speck and hat are also essential - fuck it - they all are! At one point Half Alive in Hollywood didn't leave my car CD player for what seemed months - I'm not sure that thing is even in print anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    It could for sure, but you might get hooked in more with Sluggo! and/or Dancing, right off the top. Hard for me to say, since I have followed him since the beginning and have seen the evolution, which is staggering in and of itself. Boil that Dust Speck and hat are also essential - fuck it - they all are! At one point Half Alive in Hollywood didn't leave my car CD player for what seemed months - I'm not sure that thing is even in print anymore?
    Thanks Chalkpie! I'll try to get "Sluggo!" first, then...
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."