Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: My Vinyl is gone

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    cannot find a working player these days...
    How can you tell the difference between a working 8-track player and one that is malfunctioning?

Quote Originally Posted by Tributary Records View Post
    If you properly upgrade your analog playback system, you won't part with your vinyl. More than likely your ears have been slowly dumbed down by the slow eroding affect of lowering the bar for quality and fidelity of the listening experience.

My life is and will continue be focused on the quality of experience... not unnecessary mindless convenience.
    Interesting viewpoint. Thanks for sharing.

I still have 3 boxes full of vinyl in my basement that I have not parted with. I probably have not owned a working turntable in 20 years…….but I still have those damn records……..

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    I put in my will that my collection will become my mausoleum...
    With all the primo stuff on the inner walls, moving to the lesser stuff layer by layer.

I hugely regret getting rid of some of my vinyl years ago, now I'm buying back some of those I let go and have been adding lots of new vinyl lately. I am starting to run out of room though...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I hugely regret getting rid of some of my vinyl years ago, now I'm buying back some of those I let go and have been adding lots of new vinyl lately.
    Pattern: one is young and loves music and thus buys and collects it, one gets a bit older and perhaps gets rid of stuff which doesn't have the same appeal anymore, and then one gets married and has children, thus less time and in time perhaps less general interest in the music collection, so there it goes out on the cheap market - but then BOOM! There's a divorce and a reset to everything prior to becoming an "established" adult - and what do you miss? Right, your long gone record collection - with all those pretty little memories and captured emotions of who you once were and how you coped with life and identity before both went to shatters.

Happened to me a few times now, and I'm not ridding myself of those vinyls (never mind the CDs, they're worth absolutely null, no matter how cheap that open market is). I'll rather rid myself of girlfriends or future wives (alas I hope there won't be any more of the latter) - but not my records of Art Zoyd music.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I've never regretted getting rid of most of my vinyl, but I've done a pretty good job of replacing it with CDs, and haven't owned a turntable since the mid 90s. Also, I've only had one wife, for 25 years now.

My CD collection is more robust than my vinyl collection ever was, I guess that's the key.

Wives and vinyl can co-exisit. 30-plus years on both fronts for me.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000
    My CD collection is more robust than my vinyl collection ever was
    And it never needs cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Or not?!
    http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-a-Dirty-CD
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Wives and vinyl can co-exisit. 30-plus years on both fronts for me.
    This is true for me as well...but oh she has complained about the difficulty of moving my LPs, books, CDs...

I had a big purge of vinyl in the mid-80s during a financial crisis and I still regret losing some of those LPs.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I still have 3 boxes full of vinyl in my basement that I have not parted with. I probably have not owned a working turntable in 20 years…….but I still have those damn records……..
    Of course you do and you want to play them. Get your rig together and enjoy music the way it should be heard. (Having the band in your living room, not withstanding). And don't let the good Dr. or Robert sway you. Their minds and ears have been taken over by the silver cd sin.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    The walking dead.

Wives and vinyl can co-exisit.
    I never said it couldn't. What I was pointing to was the tendency to far less active listening time and contemplation over it once you get ingulfed in the safety of a Nuclear Family household. Which is why it's equally important to be able to pull those boxes down from the attic once you no longer belong to such a household and return to the mentality of getting drunk and pinching sweet girls in the cheek for charms (they always love that when you're some 30 years older than them) before you bring them home and get comfortable in the sofa with some ultra-bitter liquor and zum hot Shub-Niggurath on the stereo.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Wow, pics and everything. Don't worry SBB, Roberts' cd's are self cleaning.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    With all the primo stuff on the inner walls, moving to the lesser stuff layer by layer.
    the outer walls are 8 tracks
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

The move from Vinyl to CDs in the 90s was big. Then I moved to fully digital about 8 years ago. Most of my CDs are sitting in crates just like my albums used to. I only buy physical copies now at shows. Almost everything else ends up being a digital copy. I get the degradation with quality, but honestly that is how my life works now. Having time to just sit and do nothing else but listen to music isn't in the cards, I spend too much time mixing ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I never said it couldn't.
    I never said you did. I think we were agreeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Which is why it's equally important to be able to pull those boxes down from the attic ...
    What are you, nuts? The attic is too hot for vinyl.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

What are you, nuts? The attic is too hot for vinyl.
    Nut in Norway it isn't!

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Wow, pics and everything. Don't worry SBB, Roberts' cd's are self cleaning.
    CDs that have been out of their cases are prone to getting smudged, fingerprinted, or dusty.
    I don't use mine for coasters.

Besides, I only have one dirty CD.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 07-20-2016 at 06:37 PM.

Vinyl requires time, turntable, and temperament.

I didn't have a combination of these great enough to coexist with the vinyl.

If I would have put a monumental effort into selling them, I could have collected more money. Most went to a local record store who took many of them that I could have kept if money was the issue.

I took in less than $500 for the whole lot.

Basements are for collecting garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Basements are for collecting garbage.
    and Man-Caves!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    For Steve and all of you who have their vinyl but not a turntable, I've heard good things about this from people I trust: https://store.uturnaudio.com/product...asic-turntable

For an entry-level table that won't shred your records and will actually sound decent, that is an incredible price point.

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    For Steve and all of you who have their vinyl but not a turntable, I've heard good things about this from people I trust: https://store.uturnaudio.com/product...asic-turntable

For an entry-level table that won't shred your records and will actually sound decent, that is an incredible price point.
    Of course, provided they have a receiver/amp that has a phono section.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart