Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jon Anderson - Prog God

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    It seems that you and your fiancee are really enjoying your Tremalon days! Good for you!
    Oh yea, we often do a couple of lines of Tremalon before she shines my purple wolfhound.

I'm out - I think I'm confusing him with Danny DeVito, short and a voice somewhat high pitched??

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I'm out - I think I'm confusing him with Danny DeVito, short and a voice somewhat high pitched??
    Yeh, the JA and DD action figures sound pretty similar upon pulling the string. The size of the vocal chords don't matter😉

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Fucking my wives on wedding Nights were almost ruined due to me not being able to relax when thinking of Jon's unfathomable relevance.
    A transparent lie. As we all know, PE membership includes a clause specifying that Jon shall have, henceforth and forever, all rights to all female partners on wedding nights.

Quote Originally Posted by mjudge View Post
    A transparent lie. As we all know, PE membership includes a clause specifying that Jon shall have, henceforth and forever, all rights to all female partners on wedding nights.
    Boner of a Lonely Heart.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    >> Chichen Itza said:

"shut...the fuck up...While ur at it go fuck yourself!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mjudge View Post
    Also, all important PE decisions shall be made by Jon's unicorn.

Outside of Olias and the new Invention of Knowledge (the best thing Yes never recorded IMO), what would you consider to be Jon's best prog solo output?

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus74 View Post
    Outside of Olias and the new Invention of Knowledge (the best thing Yes never recorded IMO), what would you consider to be Jon's best prog solo output?
    Personally, I'd say "Open". Terrific piece.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Nothing against Jon, but I'm with those that think it's Keith Emerson's year. Some things just are more appropriate when circumstance presents itself. A missed opportunity I think.

Must check that out

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Just wanted to say I agree with this statement. IoK really struck and cord with me.

I think Animation

Back in '98, I ran a poll of Anderson's best work outside Yes and the winners were...

1. Olias of Sunhillow
    2. Animation
    3. Change We Must
    4. Song of Seven

I think that remains a good answer, although some of those are 'proggier' than others.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Nothing against Jon, but I'm with those that think it's Keith Emerson's year. Some things just are more appropriate when circumstance presents itself. A missed opportunity I think.
    I think they only give the award to the living.

Henry

Change We Must is my favorite alongside with those mentioned. I think that it is an brilliant album.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

One: I already had shut the fuck up.
    Was there any fatwā issued by a local Jonii mufti?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    Was there any fatwā issued by a local Jonii mufti?
    No, but I was warned that a Jonnem had been sent out; a morphosis of a Jinn and a Golem.

As for the "prog quotient" of his solo output, I'd say that pretty much correlates with his most idiosyncratic releases; I mean, love him or not but at his prime he really is an original voice (at least he used to be). I'd therefore say Animation and Song of Seven and then some of his work with Vangelis. None of this could ever reach the supreme transcendence of Olias, though. And I guess this remains one of my main dilemmas with Jon Anderson's musical representation; once you've embraced yourself in the latter album, you're more or less deemed disappointments at what came after.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Where are such rules? They gave the award to Peter Gabriel who had a very brief stint as a prog artist, and hasn't recorded prog since 1974.

But yes, stick to some rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Where are such rules? They gave the award to Peter Gabriel who had a very brief stint as a prog artist, and hasn't recorded prog since 1974.

But yes, stick to some rules.
    If you want to promote progressive rock, the awards and the magazine, that's easier to do with someone living who you can interview and who can come to the ceremony. It thus makes sense to celebrate someone still alive with the award.

Prog magazine dedicated a whole issue to Keith Emerson: they haven't ignored him. But I wouldn't want the award to become "most famous prog musician who died this year".

Henry

If you want to promote progressive rock, the awards and the magazine, that's easier to do with someone living who you can interview and who can come to the ceremony. It thus makes sense to celebrate someone still alive with the award.

ProgBut I wouldn't want the award to become "most famous prog musician who died this year".

And given so many are reaching the latter stages of life that is a very real danger.
    <sig out of order>

Henry
    They also want the winner to be available that night to physically accept the award. (So one would think that would eliminate Roger Waters from contention. I doubt he'd show up.) It also means any artist on tour at the time of the presentation would probably be passed over as well.
    The Prog Corner

Banned
    From FB:
    Hi you amazing energy beautiful people of the world, sending radiant love and positive vibes all around, I'm happy to show you this Magazine article...!!!, yes at last I'm a Prog God, la la la la
    I feel excited, grateful and humble and so happy to think that after all these many years of creative musical adventurous work with so many incredible musicians, I'm being awarded this honor from Prog Rock Magazine in the UK..., I must say that without your love and support I would not be where I am today..music is a truly magical world...special thanks to my daughter Deborah for taking these wonderful photo's of me...www deborahanderson.com

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    >> Chichen Itza said:

"shut...the fuck up...While ur at it go fuck yourself!"
    Yeah, well that post mysteriously disappeared, apparently along with the temporary identity of its equally mysterious initiator.

Discussion forums... You just gotta love'em.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

...and then some of his work with Vangelis.
    This is often overlooked when discussing Jon's proggiest non-Yes work. Partially cuz it's not truly solo work, but perhaps also cuz when folks read "Jon & Vangelis" they think "I'll Find My Way Home" or "State of Independence". But for my money Short Stories edges out Song of Seven in progginess. Then there's the Private Collection album which has a side-long track on it!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.