Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD: King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black

FEATURED CD: King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black

Sometimes the forgotten middle child of the Wetton KC era, this album fits snugly in between Larks and Red as part of a power-packed trilogy of quintessential progressive rock. Thoughts on this album?

Review from Sea of Tranquility (40th anniv. edition)
    In early 1974, King Crimson released their follow-up to the successful Larks's Tongues in Aspic, the equally challenging & powerful Starless and Bible Black. Down to the core of Robert Fripp (guitar, Mellotron, devices), Bill Bruford (drums, percussion), John Wetton (bass, vocals), and David Cross (violin, viola, keyboards), the band combined both studio and live recordings for this landmark effort, now remixed by the esteemed Steven Wilson for maximum effect. With the album available here in both CD and on DVD, this is as close to the definitive version of Starless and Bible Black that you are ever going to see.

Kicking off the album are the two 'fully in the studio' songs, the hard charging "The Great Deceiver" and the more quirky prog rocker "Lament". Both tracks show just how more of a 'guitar' band Crimson had become, as Fripp's angular, jagged riffing & scorching lead work take center stage over Wetton's thunderous bass and Bruford's acrobatic drumming. The funky "We'll Let You Know" was sourced from a live jam and sweetened in the studio, as was the haunting "The Night Watch", which is also notable for the ever present and glorious Mellotron, drifting in the background while Fripp's guitar sings and Cross' violin soars. Wetton's vocal here is quite enchanting, easily one of his best performances on the album. "Trio" and "The Mincer" are both improvisational pieces, and spliced together from both live and studio sources, the former featuring some lovely violin/Mellotron/bass melodies, and the latter a menacing attack of ominous Mellotron, slashing guitar, and simmering grooves. The title cut also takes that slow build, mysterious route, as the band quietly rumble & weave their lines around each other, the volume slowly swelling before Wetton's booming bass and Fripp's distorted guitar engage in the ultimate battle. While the dissonance & complexity can be liked to the material on Lizard or Island, this is clearly a much leaner, meaner King Crimson, with the emphasis on rock as opposed to jazz. Album closer "Fracture" is the epic, complete with dark heavy riffs, angular lead guitar, crushing bass, intricate drumming, and wah-wah soaked violin. Again, as with most of the album, it's the uncanny improvisational skills of the band that take center stage here, so if you've come expecting soaring, symphonic arrangements, best to look elsewhere. This is savage, adventurous King Crimson at their very best.

This 2011 reissue contains a wealth of bonus material, including the two part "The Law of Maximum Distress", both of which, again, rely more on improv than actual song structure. As complex, lengthy jams go, it's great stuff, with "The Mincer" thrown right into the middle of them. Two songs toyed around with during the album sessions, "Dr. Diamond" and "Guts On My Side", appear here in live versions from 1973 & 1974. The former is a fun, upbeat rocker, highlighted by Wetton's quirky vocal and distorted violin & guitar, while the latter combines both funk and hard rock for a more straightforward approach.

Wilson's remix here is superb, and as with all the releases in this series, you get the album presented on DVD in multiple formats, which will be a real treat for your home theater system. The DTS 5.1 Digital Surround option is especially thrilling, but even the stereo mix sounds fantastic. Also included are two pieces of live footage from the historic 1973 Central Park concert, as well as various other live audio tracks. All of this is housed in a digipack complete with original artwork, photos, and tons of info on the album. Quite simply, this is an essential purchase for any King Crimson fan, and if you've never owned it, this is the version to seek out. - Pete Pardo - 5 Stars

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Somewhat overlooked back in the early days, SaBB is now seen as the classic that it is. The recent remastered reissues have helped to make this album all the more essential, IMHO.
    Last edited by StevegSr; 07-15-2016 at 05:02 PM.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

First picked up "SABB" (along with "LTIA") in 1977 and it's truly one of KC's best. Didn't know that most of the tracks were recorded live until years later. Favorite cuts are "The Great Deceiver", "Lament", "Trio", "Fracture" and the title track. All three Crimson albums from 73-74 (and the 69 debut) are classics.

Their gutsiest. My fave of theirs. And a great way of displaying convergence between improvised and the firmly arranged. "Fracture" was the quintessential and pivotal Fripp construction.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Weirdly enough, I think this was my first KC buy, on a clearance cassette in a mall somewhere. Confused the hell out of me then. But I got better These days I think it's sublime...the most similar to what the band sounded like live in that era.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Somehow I missed LTiA. I started out a fan with ITCotCK but they lost me after that. I picked up SaBB in college & have been hooked ever since. It was after this I went back to LTiA but have gone no further.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

My favorite Crimson album. "Fracture" has got to be just about the most powerful thing they've ever done. Just plain killer.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Weirdly enough, I think this was my first KC buy, on a clearance cassette in a mall somewhere. Confused the hell out of me then. But I got better These days I think it's sublime...the most similar to what the band sounded like live in that era.
    This one confused me for a while too. The band is spinning off in so many directions, it was tough for me to figure out what it was all about. Then I figured out it was about a band spinning off in so many directions. It's clear that their creativity was peaking, and they just wanted to follow it. So in some ways it seems rushed and without a center, but by the same token it is filled with a glorious energy and brilliant flashes of inspiration. I look on it now as a kind of scrapbook of a very special time.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    This one confused me for a while too. The band is spinning off in so many directions, it was tough for me to figure out what it was all about. Then I figured out it was about a band spinning off in so many directions. It's clear that their creativity was peaking, and they just wanted to follow it. So in some ways it seems rushed and without a center, but by the same token it is filled with a glorious energy and brilliant flashes of inspiration. I look on it now as a kind of scrapbook of a very special time.
    If memory serves, at the time I was already in college, and my "prog" experience was mostly limited to Yes, Pink Floyd and Genesis. I knew *of* King Crimson from the Yesyears documentary as the band that stole away Bruford but that was it. I got the Asia in Moscow live album, liked Wetton's version of "Starless" and figured hey, KC sounds like good melodic prog. And I kind of assumed that the song would be the title track from "Starless and Bible Black" because of *course* it would be.

So, in that context, my (then VERY) naive ears were expecting a lovely melodic Wetton-led ballad (complete with pianos + synths)...what I got was what seemed like chaos and the lead-in lyric "health food faggot!" It just left me utterly perplexed. I kind of dismissed KC at that point. It wasn't until a few years and a slightly-more-open-mind later that I gave "THRAK" a listen and things clicked. I also think it helped hearing "The Great Deceiver" box, which kind of put "Starless and Bible Black" in better context.

"Fracture" is for me one of the very finest prog rock songs of the decade. I also very much like "Lament."
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Love at first spin. My favorite KC album. Raw, powerful, adventurous, beautiful, frightening and progressive as hell. What's not to love?
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    I look on it now as a kind of scrapbook of a very special time.
    Scrapbook is a very apt description. The album as a whole just doesn’t flow quite as well as LTIA or Red. IMO and YMMV. That said, the one-two punch of Great Deceiver/Lament is one of the greatest gambit in KC’s catalog. Wetton’s basslines are killer.
    Last edited by at least 100 dead; 07-16-2016 at 03:57 AM. Reason: grammar n stuff
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I also think it helped hearing "The Great Deceiver" box, which kind of put "Starless and Bible Black" in better context.
    Exactly! I heard SaBB first (I think TGD was an Xmas gift and I picked up SaBB in the fall of that year). My first thought upon hearing "We'll Let You Know": these guys are just messing around in the studio!

I couldn't believe they'd put something like that out.

Knowing now that it's a live improv, I'm not sure I've changed my opinion; I can't believe they'd put something like that out!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

And another quick point: Fripp says that the 72-74 band's power was never captured effectively on record until Red was released. (Their aborted attempts to record "Fracture" in the studio, I think, attests to that.) But of the three, I find this to be the most powerful of the 72-74 albums. It's probably because so much of it is live, though.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

The improvs haven't held up all that well for me for lo these many decades, but the composed pieces do; for years (maybe even decades) I was unaware that much of it had been recorded "live." Not in my Top 3 but a good effort nevertheless from the Godfather of "Prog."
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I liked this album in the '70s. Didn't love it. My favorite track, back then, was probably "The Great Deceiver."

Today? It's "The Night Watch," probably my favorite Krim ballad from their entire career.

...but...

This album _still_ isn't a favorite of mine. When I get a hankering for these tunes I'm much more likely to reach for the Nightwatch live package, which has all of the composed tracks (many in the same versions without overdubs and edits), plus other goodies, and all of the *energy*.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

It's a very good album, but I have to be in the mood for freely improvised music. "Fracture" is the highlight and one of the all-time Crimson classics.

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    Scrapbook is very apt description.
    Agreed.

This is my least fave of the mid 70s sequence, but it's still an important contribution to the canon, especially for the studio tracks. In fact, I've never been a huge fan of these improvs and I'm still a bit irked that Fripp thought he could pass them off as studio pieces. I remember thinking at first, "How lazy!" I now understand their importance and relevance, but part of me still wishes one or two of the improvs would have been replaced by proper studio compositions and recordings ("Doctor Diamond", anyone?)

And I know I'm in the minority, but to me "Fracture" is a sort of KC-prog-by-the-numbers. IMO it's always been a better experience live than the version here.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Great album and I like those improvs very much.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I When I get a hankering for these tunes I'm much more likely to reach for the Nightwatch live package, which has all of the composed tracks (many in the same versions without overdubs and edits)
    Although I enjoy it (and "Fracture" in particular), there's something sloppy about the performance which kinda nags me a bit - and especially on "The Nightwatch" tune itself, where they make mistakes that pretty much ruin the listening experience for me.

As for S&BB as such, I'm not too crazy about "We'll Let You Know" or "Trio". What elevates the album in my ears is the strength of the remaining tracks, including the title improv. Although I'd prefer "Providence" to that one as well.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I first heard this album in college when I picked up this, LTiA, and Red at the same time, and it has been my favorite KC album until TPTB came out (they're pretty much equal in my eyes now). I really like the "scrapbook" nature of the album, it's that diversity that has made it a constant favorite for me.

Absolutely love the album, as soon as I heard The Great Deceiver I was hooked. The written songs sounded way more frenetic and nervous than on LTIA which took me a bit to get used to, but I love them now, and the live improvs are wonderful as well, especially Trio, and I rather dig The Mincer. The only low point on the album for me is the title track, but what comes after it more than makes up for it. The bass guitar parts are a nightmare to learn as well, which is always a plus.
    A vie, a mort, et apres...

Looking through my KC collection, this album has certainly gotten a work out. Fracture, is a center point, I wished it would go on and on.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Love it !
    Fracture is a monster !

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    For me, Red and Larks Tongue are so much superior to Starless that I seldom return to the middle child.

'The Great Deceiver' and 'The Night Watch' aside, I struggled with this one at first. It was indeed The Great Deceiver live set which provided a link for me.

I would still say LTIA and Red are stronger, but this one now ranks at about Number 5 in their overall studio catalogue for me...a shade below the four masterpieces (ITCOTCK, LTIA, Red and Discipline).