Thread: what are your favorite old audience cam concert videos?

what are your favorite old audience cam concert videos?

The Yes Union DVD special edition introduced me to the joys of crappy old handheld audience cam videos. The Yes package contains three shows, and I found myself watching the one from Pensacola the most. This despite the fact that it is by far the worst video quality of the three. Dark, out of focus, wobbly, you name it, but the totally kickass performance shines through.

This got me interested so I downloaded some similar quality things from dime, and found a few real gems. This is a part of one of my favorites; it is from Ian Gillan's brief tenure with Black Sabbath. It really kind of makes you feel you are there...

So what other classics are out there? Any personal favorites?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I have a great audience cam video of Marillion from the Holidays in Eden show at The Ritz in NYC. I actually can't remember his name, but the guy who made it is also the guy who maintained the Marillion gig list which the band's site usually links to because it's so complete. Good guy, but it's just been too long to remember his name! Anyway, I was in the balcony for this show, with my wife - her one and only Marillion show, and it was a great one.

I've got a couple Pink Floyd ones. There's one from Vienna Austria 88, which is the only place I've seen this giant sort of Chinese dragon kite like thing that shoots out from the stage during Learning To Fly. Very good video quality, but they didn't do Terminal Frost on this show, and it cuts off during Comfortably Numb.

Another good Pink Floyd show is the San Diego show from 94. That's actually one of the first ones I got:

I have one Iron Maiden show, from the Somewhere On Tour, from 1987. I think it's Troy, NY, but I'm not positive. At any rate, this video looks very similar to the one I've got:

Thanks for posting the PF videos. They are both really good. And I am impressed that they were playing AD as late as '94!

The first video I thought of was this, a scorching version of "Apocalypse In 9/8" from The Invisible Touch tour, shot by a guy who goes apeshit when he realizes what song they're playing. I never knew they played any of Supper Ready on this tour, and I'm not known for my love of the Invisible Touch era, but this kills me.

-BD

Yes ! The Pensacola show is amazing ! They ripped off the bootleggers for that one ! It's my go-to Yes vid.
    Floyd '94 defiantly one of the better ones too, one of the best when it first came out.
    Not a hand-held audience vid, but unreleased all the same, is Captain Beyond live 1999 Y2k Tour. Top of my list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsvboW8emNQ

Quote Originally Posted by mx20 View Post

The first video I thought of was this, a scorching version of "Apocalypse In 9/8" from The Invisible Touch tour, shot by a guy who goes apeshit when he realizes what song they're playing. I never knew they played any of Supper Ready on this tour, and I'm not known for my love of the Invisible Touch era, but this kills me.

-BD

me, too. i am reduced to shudders and tears ... one of prog rock's defining moments. great thread – i love these handheld lo-fi shots. why? no professionally filmed multi-camera concert video will ever really transport you into an “actually being there” state of mind – one doesn’t get to fly about on a camera crane. warts an' all with the acoustics all over the place – a bit tiresome to watch but nevertheless with a seal of authenticity that is hard to convey on a glossy video production.

back from the days when YES still mattered:

Audience shot videos have gotten so much better. There is at least one really nice multicam audience shot show from Roger Waters' Wall Tour last year.

I remember the first audience show I saw was Pink Floyd at JFK Stadium in 1987. It was shot from far back and had really bad sound. The shakey camera was making me dizzy too.

I have tons of them still. There is an ABWH one that is kind of cool and a real timewarp; especially seeing all the mullets in the audience before the lights go down!

I used to pay big money for these videos in the 80s/early 90s. I'm now surely thankful for the bit torrent community.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Thanks for posting the PF videos. They are both really good. And I am impressed that they were playing AD as late as '94!
    It was the opening song for most of the shows on the 94 tour, except for the nights where they did DSOTM in it's entirety, I believe. And except for the one encore performance of Careful With That Axe Eugene in Oakland, 9 May 1977, it was the only pre-Meddle song to be played onstage by Pink Floyd after 1973.

I had a VHS boot of the 1994 Yesshow from Canandiagua, the audio was taken from the concertronics simulcast

Very nice as I recall - need to try and find a DVD copy now that I'm thinking about it

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

I have a lot of Al Stewart in this category.

Quote Originally Posted by mx20 View Post
    -BD
    This one brings back memories! I saw this show just a few days before this, in Philadelphia, and I remember the rapturous applause this received. Thanks for posting it; I will have to track down the full show.