Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: King Crimson- "Radical Action Live" CD/DVD Release August

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    I can understand Steven Wilson logic on this,
    Wanting to promote the blu ray in favour of the dvds (the BD only set is cheaper), not sure he thought people would be willing to shell out more money just for the extra pages on the booklet- you are the variation on the norm, not the norm
    I don't think this release has anything to do with Steven Wilson.

You are right, for some reason when I see 5.1 I automatically and wrongly assume Wilson is involved

You are right, for some reason when I see 5.1 I automatically and wrongly assume Wilson is involved
    This seems to be mixed by Fripp, Singleton and Chris Porter.

Has Wilson ever mixed any of the new Crimson releases yet?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Has Wilson ever mixed any of the new Crimson releases yet?
    Nope.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    DGM is now listing this one in two editions:

http://shop.schizoidshop.com/radical...ion-p1602.aspx (normal edition, has Blu Ray)
    http://shop.schizoidshop.com/radical...ion-p1603.aspx (special edition, has DVDs with same content as Blu Ray plus different packaging)
    While I would prefer to see the Blu-Ray sold separately from the CDs on this set, I've been waiting for a live video release from the new Crimson so I'm in.

No, Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes= good, and 5.1 mixes=good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Nope, I meant since they have the standard with 3CD/BD, why not have the deluxe with 3CD/BD?
    Because then they'd just be the same thing? There'd be nothing to make it deluxe... unless you consider packaging relevant, which I wasn't even factoring in. It looks like each one just has the basic (digipack, sigh) setup for the respective number of discs. It's not a big-booklet/souvenir thing this time.

edit: looking again, I see the deluxe says "expanded booklet"--ok, that's a small difference.

I don't know why the deluxe has to include 3CD/2DVD/BD. The DVDs don't include anything the BDs don't include, so if you want the BD, the DVDs are useless yet you have to pay for them.
    The idea is that you don't have to pay for them. You can just get the BR set without DVDs and not miss any of the video/music. It's the rest of us (the ones who'd prefer DVD without Blu-Ray) who are out of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    They should have made a 3 CD 2 DVD set and a 3 CD 1 Blu-ray set not this dumb combination
    Exactly.
    Last edited by Spiral; 07-15-2016 at 08:38 AM.

Cool, the band has four major releases set up this fall, two live boxes, and the other two 80s albums on 5.1 .

Unless they are doing the two albums they released this century, I think that's it for their 40th anniversary release series. Which took seven years to finish.

Just a couple years away now from the 50th anniversary re- release series To begin

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    You can just get the BR set without DVDs and not miss any of the video/music. It's the rest of us (the ones who'd prefer DVD without Blu-Ray) who are out of luck.
    This combination makes absolutely no sense to me. Those of us who want the DVDs obviously don't have a Blu Ray player so why add a BD to the package ? As for those who do have a Blu Ray player why would they need DVDs ?

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    This combination makes absolutely no sense to me. Those of us who want the DVDs obviously don't have a Blu Ray player so why add a BD to the package ? As for those who do have a Blu Ray player why would they need DVDs ?
    The only reason I can think of is you can rip your DVDs into MPEG-4 files . And then you could import these to your mobile devices. I have no idea how to do it on Blu-ray Discs

Maybe it is just more cheap and convenient to produce one package that includes everything than separete sets? Actual production costs of discs is probably not big sum.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Maybe it is just more cheap and convenient to produce one package that includes everything than separete sets? Actual production costs of discs is probably not big sum.
    But they are producing separate sets. And it can't possibly be cheaper to produce the the 6-disc Blu-Ray + DVD version than it would the more sensible 5-disc DVD-only set. The only possible rationale here is to gouge those who need the DVD because they can't play Blu-Rays.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Is there a 'college kid' special edition blu-ray only package?

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Is there a 'college kid' special edition blu-ray only package?
    You mean without the CDs? If I understand correctly, the CDs are not the same performances as the video--they are performances chosen from the whole tour, while the video performances are restricted to the Japanese shows. I may be wrong about that.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    You mean without the CDs? If I understand correctly, the CDs are not the same performances as the video--they are performances chosen from the whole tour, while the video performances are restricted to the Japanese shows. I may be wrong about that.
    Oh okay - I actually wouldn't mind a CD / video version, because I can't play blu-rays on the show. I just don't want to fork over nearly $50 for it!

I see now there's a $35 version - which is a little better, considering what you get for the money.

As for those who do have a Blu Ray player why would they need DVDs ?
    For my TV I have BR, but my laptop only plays DVD. Also, I don't believe that they make BR players for cars.

it is possible some configuration might appear on iTunes or other digital for less $$, too.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    For my TV I have BR, but my laptop only plays DVD. Also, I don't believe that they make BR players for cars.
    Same here, I also rip the dts from the DVD to my car, but I am one of very few people I know who have surround setup in the car

Same here, I also rip the dts from the DVD to my car, but I am one of very few people I know who have surround setup in the car
    I had planned to do surround in my car, but my financial situation changed so I had to put it on the back burner.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar

autobuy. loved Toronto (barring a slight issue or two) stoked for this one.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    it is possible some configuration might appear on iTunes or other digital for less $$, too.
    i think that'll come eventually.......they've slowly migrated all their stuff to itunes and both orpheum and toronto went live on itunes, so imagine this will too as well as unlike the tour boxes it is a wide release.

still chafed how fripp and co are so bought in on blu ray that they insist for anyone getting the video that you HAVE TO GET the blu ray......it's somehow the DVD's that are considered an additional surcharge, but hey it's their call and i'm fine with the $46 i spent on this.

think about this: you get one audio performance of every song they've done on tour, so around 30 songs with this lineup, culled from all shows so hopefully the "best" performance of them all, and hopefully no repeats or minimal repeats from the toronto release in terms of performances. then on top of it, you're getting a full shows worth of video in pristine audio albeit all filmed on STATIONARY CAMERAS......but that point has been made clear that it's all stationary and not your typical concert dvd with a ton of zooming and crowd shots and rapid cuts and all that shit. so they've been clear about it........so hopefully the video portion doesn't repeat any of the performances from the audio portion and you're left with quite a hefty load of material to digest all for under the price of admission for an individual to one of their shows. i for one am excited to have it in hand in less than two months......should be a hummer!

I assume that the Blu-Ray is all regions even if I bought with Burning Shed...

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    The idea is that you don't have to pay for them. You can just get the BR set without DVDs and not miss any of the video/music. It's the rest of us (the ones who'd prefer DVD without Blu-Ray) who are out of luck.
    But DVD afficionados get an extra 16 pages of Fripp expounding on the economics of limited edition box sets. Or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    But DVD afficionados get an extra 16 pages of Fripp expounding on the economics of limited edition box sets. Or something.
    I See that you know him well. He just wants payback for those in the industry who screw him the past.