Thread: King Crimson- "Radical Action Live" CD/DVD Release August

I'm also not happy about Fripp's succession of release: though Toronto is vastly superior (and much more complete ) than Orpheum (so I'm glad I waited), had I known, I would've waited for this Radical action DVD.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I'm also not happy about Fripp's succession of release: though Toronto is vastly superior (and much more complete ) than Orpheum (so I'm glad I waited), had I known, I would've waited for this Radical action DVD.
    I'm pretty sure that back when the Orpheum disc was released it was announced that a set containing the entire repertoire would be coming out eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I'm pretty sure that back when the Orpheum disc was released it was announced that a set containing the entire repertoire would be coming out eventually.
    You are correct; it was, multiple times.
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

The eons are closing
    While I did not get Toronto, I will after radical action. A 'best of' live collection doesn't always work and sometimes its the collective energy of a single show that makes it awesome.
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Seeing as I don't have a Blue Ray player (just standard DVD), and I have the Toronto discs (which are just fabbo), I'll be skipping this.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    You are correct; it was, multiple times.
    And this new collection was announced with the release of Toronto. They've been completely upfront about the succession of releases.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Seeing as I don't have a Blue Ray player (just standard DVD), and I have the Toronto discs (which are just fabbo), I'll be skipping this.
    But it comes in a slipcase!

Are people really complaining about DVD footage of ALL songs (save Hoodoo) played since this band came into being?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    Are people really complaining about DVD footage of ALL songs (save Hoodoo) played since this band came into being?
    No, they're (we're) complaining about how they packaged the different formats.

Ugh. A minute into this and I'm like "either complete the crossfade to Jakko or let me see the full shot of the band unobstructed!"

I'm fine with a full show of static shots. Hell, I'd be cool with an entire show of one wide shot of the band - that's what it looked like at the show after all - but these half-dissolves are awful.

Sorry for the whining. Performance is great. Wish though that I could've focused on Fripp during the solo, without it being blended into the wide shot.

No, wait, I'm not sorry, at one point (5:22) there are four images laid on top of each other, all at equal opacity. What a visual mess.

Seems that this video was done in the studio, lacking visuals!

Man, Fripp slays the middle section on this one.

(But, yeah, the visuals are rather annoying.)
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Yeah, hate the overlays, but the performance sounds awesome. And I love the little smile Fripp gives at the end!

Oh god... I hope the whole set is not full of those overlays. That looks just awful.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Ugh. A minute into this and I'm like "either complete the crossfade to Jakko or let me see the full shot of the band unobstructed!"

I'm fine with a full show of static shots. Hell, I'd be cool with an entire show of one wide shot of the band - that's what it looked like at the show after all - but these half-dissolves are awful.

Sorry for the whining. Performance is great. Wish though that I could've focused on Fripp during the solo, without it being blended into the wide shot.

No, wait, I'm not sorry, at one point (5:22) there are four images laid on top of each other, all at equal opacity. What a visual mess.
    Yeahhhh not sold on the cross fades but I get WHY they're doing it, as they're trying to provide close ups and zoom ins and some form of dynamics to stationary cameras as Fripp seems hell bent on not even having remote controlled cameras filming them live, even stationary cameras I was surprised he agreed to when we started hearing reports that they were filming the shows.

It's hard - they're trying to find a way to make the video in some way dynamic, so isn't cross fades and zooming here and there. Agreed that sometimes the overlays are a bit much and I would actually prefer that during the Fripp solo there's more time where it's just him on screen, instead of what's there which is shots from other angles and then the Fripp camera showing him as a cross fade, almost this ghostly presence over the proceedings.

Regardless, at least they've given us a full song teaser of what to expect so no one can claim to be surprised when the dvd isn't a 21st century production with lots of jump cuts and fancy camera work - just HD stationary cameras, and many of them at that!

Performance is better than the Toronto release, Fripp does some great stuff in the middle and really strings together a lovely extended solo here. Excited for more, although I imagine at most we get one more full recording before September, prolly in a month right before the tour starts. If you think about it, who would have thought 2 years ago we'd have any licensed performance footage of this band given fripps camera ban?!?!?!

_________________________ Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kenticus View Post
    If you think about it, who would have thought 2 years ago we'd have any licensed performance footage of this band given fripps camera ban?!?!?!
    He doesn't ban his own cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    He doesn't ban his own cameras.
    Hahahaha that's classic curmudgeon Fripp though. It's HIS show and HIS way or the highway, as nonsensical and weird as some of it is. You either okay by his rules, or he doesn't play at all. It's strange and pretentious but that's just Fripp, he's a dinosaur no way he changes, such is life

I'm going to go against the grain and say I actually like the double images for the most part, at least when it's a close-up over a full-band shot. The scenes where two close-ups are superimposed are a bit messy--although they don't have to be, as the final scene with Jakko and Fripp works. And the scenes with multiple layers get to be too much. But I basically like the idea and it doesn't hurt my head to watch. I'd rather see this than one of those quick-cut fests that try to drum up excitement by not lingering on any one musician for more than 1.35 seconds.

^^ yup. damn that <10sec editing style.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Oh god... I hope the whole set is not full of those overlays. That looks just awful.
    Well, they certainly abuse of that visual effect in this case

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I'm going to go against the grain and say I actually like the double images for the most part, at least when it's a close-up over a full-band shot. The scenes where two close-ups are superimposed are a bit messy--although they don't have to be, as the final scene with Jakko and Fripp works. And the scenes with multiple layers get to be too much. But I basically like the idea and it doesn't hurt my head to watch. I'd rather see this than one of those quick-cut fests that try to drum up excitement by not lingering on any one musician for more than 1.35 seconds.
    Since the 70's , when they first appeared, I always kind of liked/loved these visual fade-ins and fade-outs , but in this case, they tend to overdo it... you can play with two of them (one aside of the screen), but superimposing them or not fading them out is IMHO a bit counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by kenticus View Post
    Yeahhhh not sold on the cross fades but I get WHY they're doing it, as they're trying to provide close ups and zoom ins and some form of dynamics to stationary cameras as Fripp seems hell bent on not even having remote controlled cameras filming them live, even stationary cameras I was surprised he agreed to when we started hearing reports that they were filming the shows.

It's hard - they're trying to find a way to make the video in some way dynamic, so isn't cross fades and zooming here and there. Agreed that sometimes the overlays are a bit much and I would actually prefer that during the Fripp solo there's more time where it's just him on screen, instead of what's there which is shots from other angles and then the Fripp camera showing him as a cross fade, almost this ghostly presence over the proceedings.

Well, if I was one of the musicians on stage I'd find it annoying that a cameraman walks around the stage just to get close-ups as well... And I don't mind fixed cameras as well, even if it tends to "static-y" the show. But they got these articulated arms armed with a camera that do a fairly good job, though. Why not use that?

Indeed the stage-side cameras are a bit too overly present.

Performance is better than the Toronto release, Fripp does some great stuff in the middle and really strings together a lovely extended solo here. Excited for more, although I imagine at most we get one more full recording before September, prolly in a month right before the tour starts. If you think about it, who would have thought 2 years ago we'd have any licensed performance footage of this band given fripps camera ban?!?!?!
    Well, it's more the fear of being bootlegged than the actual fear of being taken images of.

We all know he's a control freak, and making sure only DGM exploits a cent from KC is his pet-peeve, IMHO
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Well, they certainly abuse of that visual effect in this case

Since the 70's , when they first appeared, I always kind of liked/loved these visual fade-ins and fade-outs , but in this case, they tend to overdo it... you can play with two of them (one aside of the screen), but superimposing them or not fading them out is IMHO a bit counterproductive.

Well, if I was one of the musicians on stage I'd find it annoying that a cameraman walks around the stage just to get close-ups as well... And I don't mind fixed cameras as well, even if it tends to "static-y" the show. But they got these articulated arms armed with a camera that do a fairly good job, though. Why not use that?

Indeed the stage-side cameras are a bit too overly present.

Well, it's more the fear of being bootlegged than the actual fear of being taken images of.

We all know he's a control freak, and making sure only DGM exploits a cent from KC is his pet-peeve, IMHO

So....it's wrong that he want's DGM to profit from Crimson? Are there others out there being slighted because of his "exploitation" of KC? Those poor bootleggers of old losing revenue to the artist. What a world we live in.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post

I respectfully disagree with you. This is perhaps the best live band footage I have ever seen. The ability to see all members performing at key points in the song. Well worth it.
    Still alive and well...

And so many tedious complaints... Thats his way, so be it. I guess great musicians have quirks like the rest of us. Certainly his close friends know a different and more amiable guy.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    I respectfully disagree with you. This is perhaps the best live band footage I have ever seen. The ability to see all members performing at key points in the song. Well worth it.
    Yep. Really looking forward to this .

If any of you have bought the big live boxes from the 70s, you will note that they give you both the DVD and a Blu-ray additions included, even though they may have the same content. I don't mind.