Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 293536373839

Thread: King Crimson- "Radical Action Live" CD/DVD Release August

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Tonight's gig in Boston was monstrously good.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I enjoyed it.

I thought it was good too. I think I may have enjoyed the last tour a bit more because what they were doing was a bit "fresher" to me. This show was really similar to the prior one in terms of material. They played great, but no better to my memory than the last show. So it was enjoyable, but no real surprises.

Bill

Well Catfood was new to me but generally I agree, I still had a big silly grin on my face for most of the gig.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I was there--for the second 60% at least. An immovable work event forced to miss everything before In the Court of the Crimson King.

First time I've seen the band. The laughter provoked by the organ part that introduces the Court of the Crimson King coda was a fun moment. Discipline sounded great. Stacey was a believable Tippet on Cat Food. It was very cool to be present for an Easy Money improv. (It seemed like a pretty out-there one compared to some of the others I've heard from this lineup)

Yeah, the Easy Money piece was certainly a highlight.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Well Catfood was new to me but generally I agree, I still had a big silly grin on my face for most of the gig.
    True, that was new (at least for me), and it was awesome! Actually, probably the highlight of the show for me.

Bill

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I've been unable to sufficiently explain to the Mrs. why some people were laughing during the lengthy drum-centric first section of Indiscipline.

Boston Setlist: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/king-...-539cdfc5.html

The eons are closing
    Was @ RCMH.
    It was a good show.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Was @ RCMH.
    It was a good show.

loved it

Jeremy is a KEY PLAYER. a totally different band than the first incarnation of this beast, yeah??

loved Pat and Gavin throwing their sticks 30 feet in the air during the "nothing he's got, he really needs" bit. hilarious!
    2trevorsforlife

The eons are closing
    I am writing a more thorough review. Glad to hear you loved it!

I am writing a more thorough review. Glad to hear you loved it!

loved last night as well

we got a Frame By Frame.

I do miss the wider setlists from show to show. this 50 Tour seems more focused on a 'set'

I love that everyone save Pat and Gavin have a small scale keyboard/Nord

Mel is a gift

Pat is a joy. as in, actively spreading it via his head nods and smiles to the audience. a real back and forth

Jeremy has added immensely to this unit and it's new canon

Gavin is a beast

I need more Tony in the mix

Jakko is King Crimsons best singer

I attended the Royal Package for this, my 14 Headed Beast show. and yes, it was well worth it as we got a Fripp lecture for just under a half hour, followed by the stylings of David Singleton whom then brought out Jeremy whom answered several questions including a few of mine: yes, the new stick toss bit in Schizoid is a new "bit", yes, they have thought about doing residencies (but this 50 Year Tour really is about reaching out to the non or new fan. setlists even reflect this), the setlist additions come from a singular source via email. songs do top off early if they don't "work"

other news from David: an Exposure box including some League material (I should have asked if the pos were a full 'Incline Drive to 1979' assessment or just focused on a project's material. yes, there probably WILL be a Headed Beast Live box

Davis also spoke about the KC50 uploads and this was a fun rueful commentary from him!

as per Fripp, Guitar Craft is returning in Oct 2020 (I believe this is the exact date). the Royal gatherings seem to have merit for Robert as well. this was nice to contemplate and maybe can be seen as an extension of Guitar Craft's mission: to appreciate and be involved in not only playing music but thinking of music. for EVERYONE

as per Fripp and David, there seem to some unfortunate performing rights regarding latter law. some of Robert's issues will be involving contributions to the David Bowie catalog and it's new (legal scum [mywords]) stewards

this version of Crimson seems to be nearing it's goal

I hope my gleanings and observations are all 'truth'

my privilege to watch this band. as a music fan this has been a joy to be a part of

thank you DGM, thank you Robert

finally, a pic of Fripp taking my pic. this is my Unicorn !

IMG_9551.jpg
    2trevorsforlife

Quote Originally Posted by helix View Post

Jakko is King Crimsons best singer
    You had me right up to here.
    Ian

The eons are closing
    My Fripp Pic

My Fripp Pic

Hmm...looks like there is a story here.
    Please do tell.

An Exposure box set? Yes, please!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I saw the opening tour in Albany and Montreal last summer. Magestic shows! I'm somewhat regretful I didn't see this tour based on the comments here.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Hmm...looks like there is a story here.
    Please do tell.
    I'm such a slow writer...
    This was taken during the 'quid pro quo' section of his chat with us.

I know I took at least four pictures, including one of him photographing me.

Warlock that he is, this is actually the only picture on the digital roll.... seriously.

Here is a snap of some goodies too. IMG_20190922_172916.jpg

Warlock that he is, this is actually the only picture on the digital roll.... seriously.

Very cool! Thanks.
    I bet that was a great experience to be around him.

And great "goodies" there!

KC sure has figured out how to do Merch.

"I need more Tony in the mix"

Agreed. The sound was excellent, but not quite enough Tony, especially when he played stick.

Can you please tell me what's that KC50 slipcase cd? Maybe a collection of all the 50th anniversary digital 'singles' which are being dropped week by week?

Quote Originally Posted by peterpyser View Post
    Can you please tell me what's that KC50 slipcase cd? Maybe a collection of all the 50th anniversary digital 'singles' which are being dropped week by week?

yes

the first 24 weeks I believe
    2trevorsforlife

The eons are closing
    First 26.

There will be a 2nd CD 'considered' for the other half per Singleton at RCMH, but not in actual pipeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Ok, this is the homework assignment you guys have given me. Check out Meltdown, Chicago, Orpheum and pick one. I’ll match against Radical Action for overlap. And look for definitive performances. I would usually prefer small amounts of post production over a warts and all soundboard recording. Tread lightly and see if Light and Power have that spark for me. It’s September and class is in session. Thanks for all the info.
    Update on the homework assignment. Chicago has all members really going strong but a couple of times it felt that they were almost trying too hard to get their piece heard and if it wasn't that these guys are all monsters on their instruments, it might have fallen apart at times. I do like the sound a bit better than Radical Action. Especially the drums, and I am really splitting hairs here. I do like the song selection a bit better on the latter also. On to Meltdown next.

BTW I discovered Gavin Harrison's Cheating the Polygraph. I just love when I find an album unexpectedly and it is great.
    Last edited by Tangram; 02-16-2020 at 03:41 AM.

I think I love when King Crimson is near falling apart--which I guess is why I love the live material falling apart and why Chicago is my favorite by the current group. (Although Meltdown is very nearly as good and is tied with it due to the more complete track list).

I was listening to the Vrooom ep today and oh my goodness it sounds tame next to the live material from that era. Too bad the double trio never did "Cage" live.