Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who have the best previouly unreleased studio tracks?

How would we know if they're unreleased unless it's bootlegged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    How would we know if they're unreleased unless it's bootlegged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's my question. I know they had something called the Green Knight or whatever that became Natural Science. Other than that, I've not heard of anything. Curious.

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    Tull, Anthony Phillips, & Lush pop into my mind. Some very nice Marillion material as well.
    I assume most of the Marillion stuff was released with the reissues several years ago?

Considering the superb album Living in the Past was mostly unreleased material (in the States, at least, and in the U.K. only singles and songs from an EP), I would say the output that was left off Tull albums often surpassed some of the songs that were actually released on LPs.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by zumacraig View Post
    I assume most of the Marillion stuff was released with the reissues several years ago?
    yesyes
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

I think B-Sides Themselves shows Marillion had some great non-album stuff. Technically you wouldn't include some stuff that WAS released like "Lady Nina" but any "rarity" collection would be game in my book.

I suppose Genesis have some great b-sides/rarities too assuming I can include side 4 of Three Sides Live and the Pigeons EP.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    Considering the superb album Living in the Past was mostly unreleased material (in the States, at least, and in the U.K. only singles and songs from an EP), I would say the output that was left off Tull albums often surpassed some of the songs that were actually released on LPs.
    Every remixed album has 5-10 of these tracks. I consider strip cartoon, commercial traveller, small cigar(orchestral version) and salamander ragtime better than pretty much every album song. If only they did a full album alongside the soundtrack album

What about National Health's "Missing Pieces" ? Lots of great stuff that had never been officially released back then.

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    Tull, Anthony Phillips, & Lush pop into my mind. Some very nice Marillion material as well.
    Lush? The female front Cocteau Twins-y band from the 90s? Forgot about them, saw them live once. (Unless there is a different Lush)

National Health's 'Missing Pieces' for me, and Tony Banks' unreleased stuff from his box set. With Anthony Phillips, I'm not sure what all to include in 'Unreleased', since all the PP and ML albums were official releases, but his Archive albums have some cool stuff on them.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    No idea about the names of the tracks but recorded around 1978 to 1982, right as the songs were getting shorter. "Freeze" on Vapor Trails was mostly written back then but turned into what we know on that album.
    Sorry, you're not getting off that easy. If you can declare that you're aware of a very specific number of songs recorded during a specific time period, then give us a specific answer to where and how you came to be aware of their existence. You don't need to provide titles and running times.

I don't mean to be a dick, but I actually clicked into this thread to talk about how the only "unreleased" Rush track that's ever turned up, aside from the unused songs that predate the first album, is an alternate take of Working Man. So if you're gonna announce that there are 7 unused songs from 1978 - 1982, try finishing the story.

Quote Originally Posted by zumacraig View Post
    I thought Garden Road was the only unreleased song by Rush?
    I've been digging up the early unused songs recently. I think this is everything:

From the "ABC 1974" live album (shortly after Peart joined):

Garden Road

Fancy Dancer

and the Bad Boy Cover:

Found this online after reading this thread...

And then this show, with Rutsey, gives us "I've Been Runnin'" and "The Loser" along with another stab at "Bad Boy:"

And of course the released but long out of print Not Fade Away cover with the original You Can't Fight It b-side:

Last edited by jamesmanzi; 07-18-2016 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by irongoalie View Post
    Now that's more like it. That's a glorious find. This quote from Peart in the comments, which further research tells me is from the Signals tourbook (and in the recesses of my mind, sounds familiar):

We were getting a little bored with inactivity. During the mixing of "Exit... Stage Left" there was really not much for us to do except say "it sounds good" or "it doesn't sound good". I had been working down in the little studio, cleaning and renovating an old set of Hayman drums that were kicking around, and had started working on a "Jack Secret" song with Jack and Skip from the crew. Geddy and Alex soon joined in on keyboards and rhythm guitar, and we later recorded the song ("Tough Break") up in the studio. ... - Neil Peart

The Signals tourbook as I recall was the size and shape of an LP cover. And mine was stored with my vinyl. And my vinyl was left behind in a move 20 years ago.

So, yeah, it's in Neil's journal entry about the writing of Subdivisions:

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/...ok-signals.php

Oh yeah, also this Max Webster/Rush collab. Did I get this from a thread here a few weeks ago, or did I come across it on my own? Don't remember.

Another great piece of rare Rush.

I've got a MP3 of "Tough Break" but this is the first I've heard of "Battlescar"
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I've got a MP3 of "Tough Break" but this is the first I've heard of "Battlescar"
    It's from the last Max Webster album, so not really a rarity. But I only recently found out that the "Might as Well Go For a Soda" guy was in a band called Max Webster, so it was rare to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Sorry, you're not getting off that easy. If you can declare that you're aware of a very specific number of songs recorded during a specific time period, then give us a specific answer to where and how you came to be aware of their existence. You don't need to provide titles and running times.
    No titles and times. It was in Tokyo in a small bar where the guy knew I was a big Rush fan, but I don't know the guys name. He had tons of bootlegs. I was sure he was putting me on at first. You'd be surprised at what weird things can happen in bars in Japan at 4am... not all good!

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Rush

They have denied it, but the seven unreleased tracks from 1979 to 1982 are great. All are over 7 minutes long, so they didn't know how to use them on an album after Permanent Waves.
    Second time I quote this thread...(sorry )

Thanks for the early period Rush (pre-75), but we still haven't got an answer from the 79-82

It's from the last Max Webster album, so not really a rarity. But I only recently found out that the "Might as Well Go For a Soda" guy was in a band called Max Webster, so it was rare to me.
    Did you check out the first four Webster studio albums (or their live one, FTM), cos it's all vastly superior to Universal Juveniles (on which is Battlescar), as the band was disintegrating by the time of that album (their best-selling one)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Thanks for the early period Rush (pre-75), but we still haven't got an answer from the 79-82
    You have to excuse yamishogun - he was in a bar in Tokyo at 4am with the Yakuza breathing down his neck, and just as the bootleg exchange was about to happen, some shit went down that he can't talk about. We'll never know the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Did you check out the first four Webster studio albums (or their live one, FTM), cos it's all vastly superior to Universal Juveniles (on which is Battlescar), as the band was disintegrating by the time of that album (their best-selling one)
    I haven't heard much Max Webster, but learning about them and their connection to Rush has me curious. I really only knew Kim Mitchell from Go For a Soda until a few months ago...

I haven't heard much Max Webster, but learning about them and their connection to Rush has me curious. I really only knew Kim Mitchell from Go For a Soda until a few months ago...
    Yeah, Webster were buddies of Rush (they opened a few tours for them)

Yoy can first try High Class In Borrowed Shoes or Mutiny Up My Sleeves , as they're their two best albums (IMHO), but the debut (AKA Squareheads) is mega-fine as well.... Their fourth, A Million Vacations is somewhat softer, more keyboard, but maybe also their most accessible
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Thanks for the tips. Will check them out.

You have to excuse yamishogun - he was in a bar in Tokyo at 4am with the Yakuza breathing down his neck, and just as the bootleg exchange was about to happen, some shit went down that he can't talk about. We'll never know the truth.
    Well, I'll know the truth. No yakuza in sight but, yeah, any drinking place in Japan will have some yakuza connection (selling the alcohol to the bar at a minimum) but that didn't take away from what I heard that night.

I'd say that there is no lost great Rush song on that collection, which I'm surprised isn't on youtube yet. It was wild to listen in part since so unexpected as the first song played for me was Red Barachetta. I wondered what was so special about that and then around half way it took a turn that threw me - an extended version of maybe 90 seconds as it goes "darker." I checked and the version on the album is about 6 minutes. I can see why they went with the final 6 minute version since it maintains intensity all the way through so everyone has heard the better version many times IMO.
    Last edited by yamishogun; 07-19-2016 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by irongoalie View Post

Geet da folk out! That's the first time I've ever heard that! Thanks for posting it.