Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Stereolab

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations guys. The Stereolab fans come out of the woodwork. Its a band where I've seen the name but just never heard anything until yesterday. Gonna be fun.

PS - On another Stereolab thread on RYM, this band was stylistically heavily linked with NEU! 75, which of course can't be a bad thing even if its only a little bit true.
    I think the Neu reference is very much to the point. Try the magnificent Blue Milk from Cobras.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    This is a band I feel excited about exploring !
    I assume their charm will work on me a bit like Broadcast
    Frankie Cannygoolike Spyros Richard Mr.Triscuits you guys dig Broadcast ?
    I'm not in the list above ( ), but FWIW I dig the Broadcast/Focus Group collab and especially their soundtrack to Berberian Sound Studio
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    In this order:

Mars Audiac Quintet
    Hey I just noticed that this album is on your list, under the 'contemporary' Krautrock subcategory. Right on brother
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I think the Neu reference is very much to the point. Try the magnificent Blue Milk from Cobras.
    Phenomenal. Just had a lovely headphone listen to that piece - thanks for the heads-up. Definite Kraut/Neu! influence on this one, maybe even some Magma. Steve Reich fans will dig as well. What they do texturally beginning around the 7:00 mark is really quite something. Delicious Ear candy. This needs to get posted so folks can check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-ypdFhOcNU
    Last edited by chalkpie; 09-09-2017 at 08:41 AM.

Phenomenal. Just had a lovely headphone listen to that piece - thanks for the heads-up. Definite Kraut/Neu! influence on this one, maybe even some Magma. Steve Reich fans will dig as well. What they do texturally beginning around the 7:00 mark is really quite something. Delicious Ear candy. This needs to get posted so folks can check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-ypdFhOcNU
    I am glad you like it. That record was my first exposure to them in 99 and the section you're describing blew me away. I wasn't listening to any prog-rock in those days, mainly because I was completely unaware that there was some excellent progressive music being made in the 90's. So these guys were filling the gap nicely.

Yes, I've got several albums of theirs... a modern version of United States of America meeting BBC Radiophonic Workshop?
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

They screamed NEU...

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Mr.Triscuits you guys dig Broadcast ?
    I have The Future Crayon and Witch Cults of the Radio Age, and I remember really liking them, but I've never listened to them much. Should pull those out.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I must admit that I'm not very familiar with Broadcast beyond having heard a few songs. They have been on my list of stuff to explore one day. The fact that you are a fan is a good recommendation and makes it more likely that I'll get around to it sooner rather than later.

Great to see Stereolab get this much love on a prog page! They were one of a few contemporary bands in the 90's that broke through my self imposed 60's/70's cage that I still live in. Here's a great Eno cover that comes to mind:

"How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more." — Y.J. Malmsteen

So in my exploration of the 'Lab, I am just realizing that Julien Gasc is/was both a member of Stereolab AND Aquaserge. Pretty damn cool. It also looks like he released a solo album in 2016 called Kiss Me You Fool!....anybody ever hear it?

http://shop.bornbadrecords.net/album/kiss-me-you-fool

PS - Check out the 5th track called "Circle Bar". Its quite interesting - almost like a through-composed mini avant epic. I dig it!
    Last edited by chalkpie; 09-10-2017 at 10:06 AM.

Stereolab is one of the very rare bands that is both intricate and fun at the same time. You can play it in the car with the whole family and then bliss out later on headphones. Dots and Loops is a great entry point, but don't you dare stop there; go both forwards and backwards in the catalog.
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by noisynoise View Post
    Stereolab is one of the very rare bands that is both intricate and fun at the same time. You can play it in the car with the whole family and then bliss out later on headphones.
    Even though I've only known this band for about 1.5 days, I think you are spot on with that assessment. There seems to be an overall accessible sound containing some quite beautiful melodies, but when you dig beneath the surface a bit more, there is a (at times) a shit-ton of multi-layered textures, colors, timbres, delicate/detailed arrangements, etc etc happening. Quite an interesting band.

Dots and Loops is pure bliss. Gonna listen to it today.

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    Dots and Loops is pure bliss. Gonna listen to it today.
    "Refractions in the Plastic Pulse" is outstanding.

^^^Yes!!!

By the way, thanks for sharing the great, informative review on Dots and Loops.

I envy you for having the opportunity to discover this band. At their absolute peak they produced the best music of the mid to late nineties, IMO.

Are you sampling their albums on Spotify or going to their cds proper?

By the way, I assume you are familiar with the music produced by Tortoise at the time, it's also stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    ^^^Yes!!!

By the way, thanks for sharing the great, informative review on Dots and Loops.

I envy you for having the opportunity to discover this band. At their absolute peak they produced the best music of the mid to late nineties, IMO.

Are you sampling their albums on Spotify or going to their cds proper?

By the way, I assume you are familiar with the music produced by Tortoise at the time, it's also stunning.
    No problem man, my pleasure. Yes, its a very informative article on this band/album. This journey is going to be a fun one. Its always a joy to discover a band/artist that you are unfamiliar with, and then just dive-in head first! I am envious of folks discovering Cardiacs for the first time, so I can totally relate to your point.

Right now I am Spotifying, but I did order SIX of their CDs (used) at Amazon yesterday. Yes, I have an O/CD problem - don't we all? Some were actually cheaper than the shipping price of 3.99.

Re: Tortoise...I do't think I have ever heard a single tune by that band, but I am willing to learn. Suggestions? Thanks.

"Discovering" Stereolab was spawned by a fairly huge Krautrock binge that I am riding, and using Spyros' list as a guide map. Its been discovery/rediscovery on this amazing music, and Stereolab fits in there nicely I think. I see another band influenced by the works of Can, Neu!, Cluster, Kraftwerk, etc is German duet Mouse on Mars, again of which I am totally green.

^maybe start a thread for Tortoise, it's too good to be just a footnote here. I followed them till Standards, which is their best imo up to there. No way you re not going to like this.

German duet Mouse on Mars, again of which I am totally green.
    Not bad, but more of a techno-ambient house trip. A bit thumpy. Can't resist a CD title like Vulvaland, though.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

No problem man, my pleasure. Yes, its a very informative article on this band/album. This journey is going to be a fun one. Its always a joy to discover a band/artist that you are unfamiliar with, and then just dive-in head first! I am envious of folks discovering Cardiacs for the first time, so I can totally relate to your point.

Right now I am Spotifying, but I did order SIX of their CDs (used) at Amazon yesterday. Yes, I have an O/CD problem - don't we all? Some were actually cheaper than the shipping price of 3.99.

Re: Tortoise...I do't think I have ever heard a single tune by that band, but I am willing to learn. Suggestions? Thanks.

"Discovering" Stereolab was spawned by a fairly huge Krautrock binge that I am riding, and using Spyros' list as a guide map. Its been discovery/rediscovery on this amazing music, and Stereolab fits in there nicely I think. I see another band influenced by the works of Can, Neu!, Cluster, Kraftwerk, etc is German duet Mouse on Mars, again of which I am totally green.
    Hi Frankie,

Years ago I ended up buying pretty much the whole Stereolab discography on Amazon too - mostly used cds. I guess I've payed less than one dollar for Margerine Eclipse. Similar experience as yours, to some extent. What are the particular albums you have ordered?

At their absolute peak, Stereolab produced some of the best - if not the best - music in the late nineties. IMO, of course.

Regarding Tortoise, since you are on a krautrock binge I urge you to go for "Millions now living will never die". Serious stuff, and I mean it. My favorite would be Standards, though.

Cheers,
    Alberto

Alberto - I ordered Transient through Sound-Dust, and I'm sure I'll fill in the gaps later on once I've fully digested these. I will investigate those Tortoise recs - cheers. Sounds llke they deserve a thread of their own like Zappathustra said.

I have very fond memories of seeing them LIVE, it was probably the loudest concert I ever heard. Cornershop opened up for them. I think it was like 20 years ago. Jesus where does the time go ?

I think the kind of ran out of steam and trying to stop recording I don't know what happened to them.

" listen to the people lift hope and struggle "

EDIT I just googled to see when that was it was May 10, 1996. Apparently there was a bootleg even

http://www.koly.com/stereolab/bootle...ear=1996-05-10

Well the tragedy of losing Mary Hansen is not something they ever completely recovered from I think. 'Margerine Eclipse' was fantastic, as a kind of dedication to her, but they became a little less consistent after that. Everything from Dots and Loops forward to that point was amazing though. 'Household Names' from 'Microbe Hunters' and 'Baby Lulu' from 'Sound-Dust' give me chills every time.

Lætitia Sadier's solo stuff is pretty nice. Saw her last month.
    A Stereolab favorite of mine from Oscillons from the Anti-Sun ( released originally as an EP called Fluorescences )
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain