Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Stereolab

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    I am a huge Llamas fan (and Stereolab as well). If you dig the Llamas i can highly suggest Domenico Lancellotti's "The Good Is A Big God", this is produced by Sean O'Hagan and almost sounds like a Brazilian version of High Llamas.
    Yeah that's a pretty nice one, once you get past the opening track, it can sound quite Llama-like especially the title track.

Hot off the press, new Sean O'Hagan

Been spinning Dots and Loops today a few times..so great. Just played the big 17-minute track "Refractions in the Plastic Pulse" twice in a row, man what a tune. This band had tremendous foresight by sticking to analog keys/tones/sounds/synths even back in the 90's. Love this band.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Hot off the press, new Sean O'Hagan

Aww, that was great! Does sound just like the High Llamas. Love the video!

I've just seen Stereolab live at Helsinki's Flow Festival last week. Such a brilliant band. Surely one of the highlights of the festival for me, love their swirling instrumental parts, vintage keys sounds, motorik rhythms and Laetitia Sadier's warm vocals a-la France Galle and the rest of the French ye-ye scene from the 1960s.

Sound Dust and Margarine Eclipse were re released last week on cd ( 2 cd's for some reason ), they have been OOP for a while.
    Filled a gap in my collection.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

^Sound Dust is one of my favorites, Margerine less so. One of my biggest regrets was missing them in 2000 when they were touring "The first of microbe hunters" and played in my home city, in Brazil. I even considered going based on a sound clip I listened to on the radio at the time, but alas I decided not to go because I was not familiar with the band and had to get up really early on the next day. Bad move. :-(

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Conti
    I even considered going based on a sound clip I listened to on the radio at the time, but alas I decided not to go because I was not familiar with the band and had to get up really early on the next day. Bad move. :-(
    When I was in college, the band Spirit was playing locally, but I had a final exam the day following the concert, so I opted to stay in and study. The concert would have been a better memory, as my college degree has only brought me memories of struggling to find a job commensurate with my education and experience. So, always go to the concert. No one will ever see Spirit again. I would love to have seen Stereolab live. Never got the chance.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    So, always go to the concert. No one will ever see Spirit again. I would love to have seen Stereolab live. Never got the chance.
    Lesson learned, never missed such an opportunity again.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I own ETK and D&L, with Tomato being my favorite. I wonder how much influence this band had on bands like Mercury Rev or Flaming Lips.

I go through phases but I think in general 'Cobra & Phases' is my favorite, certainly more 'progressive' if you want to call it that.

I just received my clear vinyl versions of Sound Dust and Margarine Eclipse, super excited.

I think i can say without question that Sean O'Hagan's Radum Calls, Radum Calls is my favorite release of 2019.

Got to see Stereolab last oct 2nd in Milwaukee and ranked as one of my top 10 live shows ever, sure hoping this leads to them becoming an active force again. (on a side note they had one of the coolest and actually useful pieces of merch i had ever bought - a Stereolab laundry bag! Used it to pack the other merch i had bought and have since used it when traveling).

I think i can say without question that Sean O'Hagan's Radum Calls, Radum Calls is my favorite release of 2019.
    Ordered!

What's it like? Comparable to The High Llamas?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Very much so. If you like those dense string arrangements and bubbly electronic sounds along with Sean's nylon string guitar vocals then this is your ticket!

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Just listened first time. I think it's fabulous. Mostly it does sound like the High Llamas, but some of it, the instrumentals in particular, sound a bit more complex and experimental. One instrumental, I think it's track 2, I thought was absolutely awesome. Overall, it seems slightly more dense as well. We'll see what additional listens reveal but I'm very happy with it.

Very much so. If you like those dense string arrangements and bubbly electronic sounds along with Sean's nylon string guitar vocals then this is your ticket!
    Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Just listened first time. I think it's fabulous. Mostly it does sound like the High Llamas, but some of it, the instrumentals in particular, sound a bit more complex and experimental. One instrumental, I think it's track 2, I thought was absolutely awesome. Overall, it seems slightly more dense as well. We'll see what additional listens reveal but I'm very happy with it.
    Thanks guys! I like The High Llamas, so your descriptions have me intrigued. I'm gonna get it.

Edit: Just ordered the vinyl edition from Amazon.

Wtf? I am a big High Llamas fan (watched them live in London in 2001) and need to check this out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Wtf? I am a big High Llamas fan (watched them live in London in 2001) and need to check this out!
    It has emerged as my favorite release of 2019 also. If it was a HL album, I think I'd rank it as their best.

It has emerged as my favorite release of 2019 also. If it was a HL album, I think I'd rank it as their best.
    Impressive! This has me excited to hear the whole thing. I listened to the first few tracks the other day, and really enjoyed them.

Yes! It's really good.

https://mailchi.mp/b978b55fc506/ster...eport-22-01-20

US tour dates. Tickets on sale Friday. Looking forward to the Carrboro show. Love that venue.

MAY
    01 – Miami, FL @ III Points
    03 – Atlanta, GA @ Shaky Knees Music Festival
    04 – Carborro, NC @ Cats Cradle
    05 – New York, NY, @ Terminal 5
    07 – Portland, ME @ State Theatre
    08 – Kingston, NY @ BSP Kingston
    09 – Pittsburgh, PA @ Mr. Smalls Theatre
    10 – Chicago, IL @ The Vic Theatre
    13 – Boulder, CO @ Boulder Theater
    15 – Pioneertown, CA @ Pappy & Harriets
    17 – Los Angeles, CA @ The Wiltern
    18 – Big Sur, CA @ Big Sur HMML
    19 – San Francisco, CA @ Warfield Theatre

For some reason I love Broadcast but never really opened Stereolab...

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    For some reason I love Broadcast but never really opened Stereolab...
    Try Sound Dust, Dots and Loops, Transient Random...

I think you will dig the production on these albums, the textures/sounds/colors, and the music itself. Or not
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Try Sound Dust, Dots and Loops, Transient Random...
    I think you will dig the production on these albums, the textures/sounds/colors, and the music itself. Or not
    Frankie you dig Broadcast ?