Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Stereolab

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Well the tragedy of losing Mary Hansen is not something they ever completely recovered from I think. 'Margerine Eclipse' was fantastic, as a kind of dedication to her, but they became a little less consistent after that. Everything from Dots and Loops forward to that point was amazing though. 'Household Names' from 'Microbe Hunters' and 'Baby Lulu' from 'Sound-Dust' give me chills every time.
    Agreed! "Baby LuLu" is a fav for sure along with a few from DOTS & LOOPS.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Alberto - I ordered Transient through Sound-Dust, and I'm sure I'll fill in the gaps later on once I've fully digested these. I will investigate those Tortoise recs - cheers. Sounds llke they deserve a thread of their own like Zappathustra said.
    Excellent. Transient is not among my faves, but still an interesting album. I think everything started to come together from Emperor Tomato Ketchup on. Anyway, you are in for a treat, since all their best albums are within the set of cds you have ordered!

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    Excellent. Transient is not among my faves, but still an interesting album. I think everything started to come together from Emperor Tomato Ketchup on. Anyway, you are in for a treat, since all their best albums are within the set of cds you have ordered!
    Maybe you're underestimating Mars Audiac (at least I did). I listened to it last night and they are already a complete band. There's some incredible music in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Maybe you're underestimating Mars Audiac (at least I did). I listened to it last night and they are already a complete band. There's some incredible music in there.
    I don't disagree. I own Mars Audiac too. It's a fine record, it's just that I don't find it uniformly appealing as their later efforts starting from Emperor Tomato Ketchup.

I don't disagree. I own Mars Audiac too. It's a fine record, it's just that I don't find it uniformly appealing as their later efforts starting from Emperor Tomato Ketchup.
    Emperor Tomato Ketchup was my gateway, certainly an accessible album. Perhaps a more uniform pop-ey feel. It was love at first listen.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

So I spun both Transient and Mars today. I truly enjoyed both, but there was a certain rawness or slight grungy sound that I seem to really enjoy on Transient. The writing on these albums is just at consistently high level, and more eclectic and varied than would appear at first glance. The big tune "Jenny Ondioline" was particularly great, as was the punk-ish "Crest". The other heavy hitter I seemed to be smitten with was "Nihilist Assault Group". Both excellent albums and these guys/gals seem to be producing quality stuff (relatively) early out of the gate. Onward....
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

So I spun both Transient and Mars today. I truly enjoyed both, but there was a certain rawness or slight grungy sound that I seem to really enjoy on Transient. The writing on these albums is just at consistently high level, and more eclectic and varied than would appear at first glance. The big tune "Jenny Ondioline" was particularly great, as was the punk-ish "Crest". The other heavy hitter I seemed to be smitten with was "Nihilist Assault Group". Both excellent albums and these guys/gals seem to be producing quality stuff (relatively) early out of the gate. Onward....
    Great. Again, not my faves from the band, but still plenty of good moments to enjoy. Keep us informed as you advance in their discography. I think things tend to become increasingly interessant.

These kids have been on my radar since, well I guess the 90's but for whatever reason I've never given them a closer look. Enough peeps in this thread whose opinions I respect, so....Transients and Dots bought. Fun stuff, more lounge influence than I normally go for but still very interesting. It'll be fun exploring
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    These kids have been on my radar since, well I guess the 90's but for whatever reason I've never given them a closer look. Enough peeps in this thread whose opinions I respect, so....Transients and Dots bought. Fun stuff, more lounge influence than I normally go for but still very interesting. It'll be fun exploring
    The you would probably love:
    Space Age Bachelor Pad Music (also known as The Groop Played "Space Age Bachelor Pad Music").
    You could fill Casa Battema with Neu-ish vibes
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Thanks Mark...I sampled a number of the albums over the weekend but can't recall if Space Age was among them. I'll definitely give it a fair set o' ears though
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Here you go, arrrrr! matey, no wait thats the 19th.
    -- Aristotle

Huge fan here. Emperor Tomato Ketchup is a Top Ten Album for me.

Check out Laetita Sadier's guest vocals on the new Deerhoof LP, Mountain Moves. Just awesome!!!
    The Prog Corner

If just hit me -the precursor to S Lab was McCarthy. A post punk band in the same vein as Mekons, Chumba, Red Lorry Yellow Lorry etc . I listed to those bands ALOT in the late 80s early 80s

Weird . That was the only post punk bands I ever really liked . Many of them evolved musically well beyond he post punk genre .

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I figured you (and Polmico actually) would already be hip to this band - seems like something you guys would dig. Well, join the club mate, its a cool vibe for sure, especially the Kraut/punky/indy/lounge leanings.

I am in the midst of Emperor and thoroughly enjoying it, more about it later when I've heard the whole thing. I also had to go back and do a headphones spun of "Jenny Ondioline" again - love that one....crank it and GO.

Where's Scrotum? I recall him being a fan, yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Huge fan here. Emperor Tomato Ketchup is a Top Ten Album for me.

Check out Laetita Sadier's guest vocals on the new Deerhoof LP, Mountain Moves. Just awesome!!!

Great. Again, not my faves from the band, but still plenty of good moments to enjoy. Keep us informed as you advance in their discography. I think things tend to become increasingly interessant.
    From my (relatively) novice take on this band so far, it seems like they went from a raw/indy brand of pseudo-kraut/punk/indy sound to a gradual sound of increasing textures, colors, a slightly smoother and more accessible production (Possibly with more detail) along with some IDM influences popping up as they progress through their catalog. I dunno, I could be way off, but that is my first impression. And its all good, regardless of what they are doing.

From my (relatively) novice take on this band so far, it seems like they went from a raw/indy brand of pseudo-kraut/punk/indy sound to a gradual sound of increasing textures, colors, a slightly smoother and more accessible production (Possibly with more detail) along with some IDM influences popping up as they progress through their catalog. I dunno, I could be way off, but that is my first impression. And its all good, regardless of what they are doing.
    Yep, that's about it.

ah! big fan of the 'groop' here

favorite track 'French Disko'

as you start to appreciate the full lengths, you will have no less than 5 discs of singles/BBC sessions/outakes to discover. the great Drag City has released a few of these compilations collectively known as 'Switched On' series

and yes, losing Mary like that was just terrible. the 3rd member for sure

additionally, I'm not sure Laetitia and Tim will get back together. kinda a Thurston and Kim situation I gather . . .
    2trevorsforlife

I recently picked up the Oscillons From The Anti-Sun boxed set which i believe is out of print but can be found used around $20-30, highly recommended.

Here's a great description from an amazon reviewer -

"You get the following EPs worth of music: Jenny Ondioline (1993), Wow And Flutter (1994), Ping Pong (1994), Flourescences (1996), Cybele's Reverie (1996), Miss Modular (1997), The Free Design (1999), and Captain Easychord (2001) plus the US single version of The Noise Of Carpet, an alternate version of Jenny Ondioline originally released as a tour single, and an unreleased LP version of Ping Pong. Whew... but it's not over, you also get a DVD of videos and UK TV appearances, AND stickers of all the EP covers. All for 18 bucks or so. What a fantastic deal, now I don't have to spend time and money tracking down these EPs on eBay. Thanks Stereolab!"

Thanks Indeed!

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I'm a fan of Air

I was surprised to see by Wikipedia that First of the Microbe Hunters is ostensibly an EP, not an official album. It has seven songs totaling about 40 minutes; I certainly considered it their new album when it came out.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

These are exactly my feelings. Interestingly, the extreme attention to detail resulted in moments nearly devoid of emotion (i.e., “too clinical”) even in some of their best albums. Unfortunately, as time progressed this has become the rule and not the exception. By the end, especially after “Margerine Eclipse” (still a reasonable album, IMO), everything sounds tired and uninspired, at least to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I was surprised to see by Wikipedia that First of the Microbe Hunters is ostensibly an EP, not an official album. It has seven songs totaling about 40 minutes; I certainly considered it their new album when it came out.
    "Microbe Hunters" was the first Stereolab CD I've got. Amazingly, it was released in Brazil, together with "Sound Dust" and three of their early albums ("Peng", "Space Age Bachelor Pad Music" and another title I don't rememeber the name).

I was not aware that "Microbe Hunters" was an EP at the time, got to know it later too. Great album, anyway.

These are exactly my feelings. Interestingly, the extreme attention to detail resulted in moments nearly devoid of emotion (i.e., “too clinical”) even in some of their best albums. Unfortunately, as time progressed this has become the rule and not the exception. By the end, especially after “Margerine Eclipse” (still a reasonable album, IMO), everything sounds tired and uninspired, at least to me.
    I find their mid-period (Dots and Loops thru Sound-Dust) very emotional, and curiously beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I find their mid-period (Dots and Loops thru Sound-Dust) very emotional, and curiously beautiful.
    That's my opinion too, except for some moments here and there.