Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 105

Thread: Stereolab

  1. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Well the tragedy of losing Mary Hansen is not something they ever completely recovered from I think. 'Margerine Eclipse' was fantastic, as a kind of dedication to her, but they became a little less consistent after that. Everything from Dots and Loops forward to that point was amazing though. 'Household Names' from 'Microbe Hunters' and 'Baby Lulu' from 'Sound-Dust' give me chills every time.
    Agreed! "Baby LuLu" is a fav for sure along with a few from DOTS & LOOPS.

  2. #52
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Belo Horizonte / Brazil
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Alberto - I ordered Transient through Sound-Dust, and I'm sure I'll fill in the gaps later on once I've fully digested these. I will investigate those Tortoise recs - cheers. Sounds llke they deserve a thread of their own like Zappathustra said.
    Excellent. Transient is not among my faves, but still an interesting album. I think everything started to come together from Emperor Tomato Ketchup on. Anyway, you are in for a treat, since all their best albums are within the set of cds you have ordered!

  3. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    Excellent. Transient is not among my faves, but still an interesting album. I think everything started to come together from Emperor Tomato Ketchup on. Anyway, you are in for a treat, since all their best albums are within the set of cds you have ordered!
    Maybe you're underestimating Mars Audiac (at least I did). I listened to it last night and they are already a complete band. There's some incredible music in there.

  4. #54
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Belo Horizonte / Brazil
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Maybe you're underestimating Mars Audiac (at least I did). I listened to it last night and they are already a complete band. There's some incredible music in there.
    I don't disagree. I own Mars Audiac too. It's a fine record, it's just that I don't find it uniformly appealing as their later efforts starting from Emperor Tomato Ketchup.

  5. #55
    Outraged bystander markwoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    I don't disagree. I own Mars Audiac too. It's a fine record, it's just that I don't find it uniformly appealing as their later efforts starting from Emperor Tomato Ketchup.
    Emperor Tomato Ketchup was my gateway, certainly an accessible album. Perhaps a more uniform pop-ey feel. It was love at first listen.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    "The future will be better tomorrow." Dan Quayle

  6. #56
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,295
    So I spun both Transient and Mars today. I truly enjoyed both, but there was a certain rawness or slight grungy sound that I seem to really enjoy on Transient. The writing on these albums is just at consistently high level, and more eclectic and varied than would appear at first glance. The big tune "Jenny Ondioline" was particularly great, as was the punk-ish "Crest". The other heavy hitter I seemed to be smitten with was "Nihilist Assault Group". Both excellent albums and these guys/gals seem to be producing quality stuff (relatively) early out of the gate. Onward....
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

  7. #57
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Belo Horizonte / Brazil
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    So I spun both Transient and Mars today. I truly enjoyed both, but there was a certain rawness or slight grungy sound that I seem to really enjoy on Transient. The writing on these albums is just at consistently high level, and more eclectic and varied than would appear at first glance. The big tune "Jenny Ondioline" was particularly great, as was the punk-ish "Crest". The other heavy hitter I seemed to be smitten with was "Nihilist Assault Group". Both excellent albums and these guys/gals seem to be producing quality stuff (relatively) early out of the gate. Onward....
    Great. Again, not my faves from the band, but still plenty of good moments to enjoy. Keep us informed as you advance in their discography. I think things tend to become increasingly interessant.

  8. #58
    These kids have been on my radar since, well I guess the 90's but for whatever reason I've never given them a closer look. Enough peeps in this thread whose opinions I respect, so....Transients and Dots bought. Fun stuff, more lounge influence than I normally go for but still very interesting. It'll be fun exploring
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

  9. #59
    Outraged bystander markwoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,801
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    These kids have been on my radar since, well I guess the 90's but for whatever reason I've never given them a closer look. Enough peeps in this thread whose opinions I respect, so....Transients and Dots bought. Fun stuff, more lounge influence than I normally go for but still very interesting. It'll be fun exploring
    The you would probably love:
    Space Age Bachelor Pad Music (also known as The Groop Played "Space Age Bachelor Pad Music").
    You could fill Casa Battema with Neu-ish vibes
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    "The future will be better tomorrow." Dan Quayle

  10. #60
    Thanks Mark...I sampled a number of the albums over the weekend but can't recall if Space Age was among them. I'll definitely give it a fair set o' ears though
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

  11. #61
    Outraged bystander markwoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,801
    Here you go, arrrrr! matey, no wait thats the 19th.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    "The future will be better tomorrow." Dan Quayle

  12. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,382
    Huge fan here. Emperor Tomato Ketchup is a Top Ten Album for me.

    Check out Laetita Sadier's guest vocals on the new Deerhoof LP, Mountain Moves. Just awesome!!!
    Prog's Not Dead

  13. #63
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    160
    If just hit me -the precursor to S Lab was McCarthy. A post punk band in the same vein as Mekons, Chumba, Red Lorry Yellow Lorry etc . I listed to those bands ALOT in the late 80s early 80s

    Weird . That was the only post punk bands I ever really liked . Many of them evolved musically well beyond he post punk genre .

  14. #64
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,295
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    These kids have been on my radar since, well I guess the 90's but for whatever reason I've never given them a closer look. Enough peeps in this thread whose opinions I respect, so....Transients and Dots bought. Fun stuff, more lounge influence than I normally go for but still very interesting. It'll be fun exploring
    I figured you (and Polmico actually) would already be hip to this band - seems like something you guys would dig. Well, join the club mate, its a cool vibe for sure, especially the Kraut/punky/indy/lounge leanings.

    I am in the midst of Emperor and thoroughly enjoying it, more about it later when I've heard the whole thing. I also had to go back and do a headphones spun of "Jenny Ondioline" again - love that one....crank it and GO.

    Where's Scrotum? I recall him being a fan, yeah?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

  15. #65
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,295
    Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Huge fan here. Emperor Tomato Ketchup is a Top Ten Album for me.

    Check out Laetita Sadier's guest vocals on the new Deerhoof LP, Mountain Moves. Just awesome!!!
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

  16. #66
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,295
    Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    Great. Again, not my faves from the band, but still plenty of good moments to enjoy. Keep us informed as you advance in their discography. I think things tend to become increasingly interessant.
    From my (relatively) novice take on this band so far, it seems like they went from a raw/indy brand of pseudo-kraut/punk/indy sound to a gradual sound of increasing textures, colors, a slightly smoother and more accessible production (Possibly with more detail) along with some IDM influences popping up as they progress through their catalog. I dunno, I could be way off, but that is my first impression. And its all good, regardless of what they are doing.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

  17. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    From my (relatively) novice take on this band so far, it seems like they went from a raw/indy brand of pseudo-kraut/punk/indy sound to a gradual sound of increasing textures, colors, a slightly smoother and more accessible production (Possibly with more detail) along with some IDM influences popping up as they progress through their catalog. I dunno, I could be way off, but that is my first impression. And its all good, regardless of what they are doing.
    Yep, that's about it.

  18. #68
    ah! big fan of the 'groop' here


    favorite track 'French Disko'




    as you start to appreciate the full lengths, you will have no less than 5 discs of singles/BBC sessions/outakes to discover. the great Drag City has released a few of these compilations collectively known as 'Switched On' series





    and yes, losing Mary like that was just terrible. the 3rd member for sure

    additionally, I'm not sure Laetitia and Tim will get back together. kinda a Thurston and Kim situation I gather . . .
    2trevorsforlife

  19. #69
    Member progholio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    st louis
    Posts
    515
    I recently picked up the Oscillons From The Anti-Sun boxed set which i believe is out of print but can be found used around $20-30, highly recommended.

    Here's a great description from an amazon reviewer -

    "You get the following EPs worth of music: Jenny Ondioline (1993), Wow And Flutter (1994), Ping Pong (1994), Flourescences (1996), Cybele's Reverie (1996), Miss Modular (1997), The Free Design (1999), and Captain Easychord (2001) plus the US single version of The Noise Of Carpet, an alternate version of Jenny Ondioline originally released as a tour single, and an unreleased LP version of Ping Pong. Whew... but it's not over, you also get a DVD of videos and UK TV appearances, AND stickers of all the EP covers. All for 18 bucks or so. What a fantastic deal, now I don't have to spend time and money tracking down these EPs on eBay. Thanks Stereolab!"

    Thanks Indeed!

  20. #70
    cunning linguist 3LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Posts
    1,319
    I'm a fan of Air

  21. #71
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    2,376
    I was surprised to see by Wikipedia that First of the Microbe Hunters is ostensibly an EP, not an official album. It has seven songs totaling about 40 minutes; I certainly considered it their new album when it came out.

  22. #72
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Belo Horizonte / Brazil
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    From my (relatively) novice take on this band so far, it seems like they went from a raw/indy brand of pseudo-kraut/punk/indy sound to a gradual sound of increasing textures, colors, a slightly smoother and more accessible production (Possibly with more detail) along with some IDM influences popping up as they progress through their catalog. I dunno, I could be way off, but that is my first impression. And its all good, regardless of what they are doing.
    These are exactly my feelings. Interestingly, the extreme attention to detail resulted in moments nearly devoid of emotion (i.e., “too clinical”) even in some of their best albums. Unfortunately, as time progressed this has become the rule and not the exception. By the end, especially after “Margerine Eclipse” (still a reasonable album, IMO), everything sounds tired and uninspired, at least to me.

  23. #73
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Belo Horizonte / Brazil
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I was surprised to see by Wikipedia that First of the Microbe Hunters is ostensibly an EP, not an official album. It has seven songs totaling about 40 minutes; I certainly considered it their new album when it came out.
    "Microbe Hunters" was the first Stereolab CD I've got. Amazingly, it was released in Brazil, together with "Sound Dust" and three of their early albums ("Peng", "Space Age Bachelor Pad Music" and another title I don't rememeber the name).

    I was not aware that "Microbe Hunters" was an EP at the time, got to know it later too. Great album, anyway.

  24. #74
    Member bill g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Mount Rainier
    Posts
    1,930
    Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    These are exactly my feelings. Interestingly, the extreme attention to detail resulted in moments nearly devoid of emotion (i.e., “too clinical”) even in some of their best albums. Unfortunately, as time progressed this has become the rule and not the exception. By the end, especially after “Margerine Eclipse” (still a reasonable album, IMO), everything sounds tired and uninspired, at least to me.
    I find their mid-period (Dots and Loops thru Sound-Dust) very emotional, and curiously beautiful.

  25. #75
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Belo Horizonte / Brazil
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I find their mid-period (Dots and Loops thru Sound-Dust) very emotional, and curiously beautiful.
    That's my opinion too, except for some moments here and there.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •