Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are they still together after all these years?

Are they still together after all these years?

Before it gets too late for these older guys I want to try and see a few more specific bands that I've missed...BUT...whose gigging/non-gigging AND together/split/reformed status I have no idea about, namely:

Wishbone Ash
    Procol Harum
    Moody Blues
    Manfred Mann's Earth Band
    UFO
    Hawkwind
    Scorpions

In the last few years I've seen Uriah Heep, Deep Purple, Status Quo, so I know they're all still gigging.

Procol Harum -- or rather Gary Brooker and the band he has now -- is still touring:
    http://www.procolharum.com/2016/2016_index.htm

Well worth seeing, IMO.

Last edited by rcarlberg; 07-08-2016 at 08:06 PM.

This band may contain one or more original member
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

YES + No original member = NO! ...yeah I know not mentioned, but someone should start a thread asking "What current bands use a classic band name with no original members?"
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Goin' to see Steely Dan tomorrow night.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    What current bands use a classic band name with no original members?
    About a thousand doo wop and 50s R&B groups.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    This band may contain one or more original member
    Packed using equipment that handles nuts.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 07-09-2016 at 09:13 AM.

YES + No original member = NO! ...yeah I know not mentioned, but someone should start a thread asking "What current bands use a classic band name with no original members?"
    there was a thread here awhile back that addressed this.....everybody had different criteria about what constituted the starting point as the band's inception...if we are looking at it from the perspective of formation only, there was quite a few bands that had no original members....my criteria was that the group (entity) had to record - demos included - as these would have to be included in a 'complete anthology' if one was inclined to put one together, and this narrowed it down quite a bit, and included Judas Priest and Molly Hatchett just to name two

theres also quite a surprising number of bands that have been around for decades that only have one original member - The Moody Blues is among them

Wishbone Ash - I believe there are two bands under the same name. Saw Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash two years ago. Hillarious!
    UFO - Still around, have a couple of good albums (well, Seven Deadly is excellent) and they're doing great gigs now that Phil Mogg is sober.
    Hawkwind - They never broke up. Saw them live a month ago. Didn't like the new album and the latest version of the band with Mr. Dibbs on vocals. I think the journey is over.
    Scorpions - They will be playing this month. I'm completely indifferent. They lost me after "Blackout".
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    There's something to be said for a "classis" member like Howe over an original member like Banks, IMO.

Other examples:

Iron Maiden with Dickinson instead of DiAnno

Marillion with Fish (not an original member)

Thanks guys. So there is still a chance to catch most of them before it's too late. Great!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    There's something to be said for a "classic" member like Howe over an original member like Banks, IMO.

Other examples:

Iron Maiden with Dickinson instead of DiAnno

Marillion with Fish (not an original member)
    I agree.

And not forgetting what is perhaps the flagship for such bands, the classic Mk II Deep Purple - with Glover and Gillan replacing Simper and Evans in 69.
    And The Beatles of course.

Andy Powell and the band he has now is still touring and occasionally recording under the Wishbone Ash name. Martin Turner was doing the same (mainly in the UK though) until a lawsuit from Powell stopped him from using the name.

Similar things happening with the Hawkwind brand - Nik Turner and his band tours as Nik Turner’s Hawkwind, while Dave Brock uses the Hawkwind proper name.

So...you may still get your chance to see the band, but a bit of research before going may help.

Reverend Horton Heat - still touring and still putting out good records
    Southern Culture on the Skids - still on the road and putting out good records
    Deep Purple - same
    Grand funk Railroad - still touring, but why did 3 guys have to replace Mark Farner?

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    Deep Purple - same
    Yes, mentioned them in my opening post. Saw them live not so long ago actually.

The Rolling Stones
    The Who
    Savoy Brown (Kim Simmonds started changing his band right after their first album in 1968)
    Fleetwood Mac

I think The Pretty Things are still together.

Zombies
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Wishbone Ash - I believe there are two bands under the same name. Saw Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash two years ago. Hillarious!
    UFO - Still around, have a couple of good albums (well, Seven Deadly is excellent) and they're doing great gigs now that Phil Mogg is sober.
    Hawkwind - They never broke up. Saw them live a month ago. Didn't like the new album and the latest version of the band with Mr. Dibbs on vocals. I think the journey is over.
    Scorpions - They will be playing this month. I'm completely indifferent. They lost me after "Blackout".
    I've seen Wishbone Ash with the original members, and many incarnations since. Saw them earlier this year. What was so funny about Martin's version?

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    I think The Pretty Things are still together.
    and saw them live 11/2 years ago and the gig was surprisingly terrific for their age!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    Reverend Horton Heat - still touring and still putting out good records
    They are coming to Boston in December with Unknown Hinson and Nashville Pussy. I am so there.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Well, there's the New York Philharmonic, the Philharmonics Vienna...

At some point a musical group becomes an institution and is able to continue without the "original members." Yes is still Yes.

I saw the Platters a few years ago. Not a single "original member." And you know what? It was a great show by the Platters.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

The 3 core members of Kraan is still and again together and playing at Finkenbach festival august 13.
    (Hellmut, Peter & Jan)
    Personally I miss Ingo Bischoff or Joo Kraus on keys, but they werent part of the first lineup - Alto on sax was.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    The 3 core members of Kraan is still and again together and playing at Finkenbach festival august 13.
    (Hellmut, Peter & Jan)
    Personally I miss Ingo Bischoff or Joo Kraus on keys, but they werent part of the first lineup - Alto on sax was.
    I think Joo Kraus main instrument is trumpet, with EVI and keyboards as side instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    I've seen Wishbone Ash with the original members
    Lucky git!