Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Stranglers: Any freinds or foes?

Have an interesting concert recording in my collection. While Hugh was in jail, Robert Fripp played guitar on a couple of tracks. (didnt mesh well at all) And Toyah did some vocals along with Ian Drury. Fun Overall but musically ... well.
    Still alive and well...

Heres my 3d cover Raven... It doesnt photograph well. Its the same types as the satanic majestys as someone else said, image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 03-16-2017 at 08:53 PM.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    Have an interesting concert recording in my collection. While Hugh was in jail, Robert Fripp played guitar on a couple of tracks. (didnt mesh well at all) And Toyah did some vocals along with Ian Drury. Fun Overall but musically ... well.
    Are you talking STRANGLERS & FRIENDS? Peter Hammill and Steve Hillage were on there too...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Are you talking STRANGLERS & FRIENDS? Peter Hammill and Steve Hillage were on there too...
    Yes. Got it on Itunes if I remember correctly. Not sure if it was released on a proper cd or not.
    Still alive and well...

given the poor results (mentionned above), that sounds more like Stranglers & Fiends

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    Yes. Got it on Itunes if I remember correctly. Not sure if it was released on a proper cd or not.
    Yes it was in 1995, and then re-issued in 2002.
    Dave Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    given the poor results (mentionned above), that sounds more like Stranglers & Fiends

Agreed it wasn't very good, however, it was strung together without much rehearsals. Hugh was in jail for POT possession. For die hard Stranglers fans, including me, this was a must have recording.
    Dave Sr.

Yeah, and The Stranglers even played the infamous Stonehenge freak festival in 1981 or '82, I believe - after which they apparently toured with free festival space-punks Here & Now, whose later apostles Soma and Mandragora displayed a lot of Stranglers influence. Very interesting merger in itself, this post-hippie vs. neo-cyber rebel thing. Of course acts like Cabaret Voltaire and the Virgin Prunes were part of it as well. Not so bizarre after all that a band like Twelfth Night came out of that exact period.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Heh heh...nicely chosen thumbnail for the video trailer. See my reference to onstage nudity in the Funny Concert Stories thread.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Never punk...what, with a synthesiser?

Nah, they were far too accomplished for that, though they seemed to be lumped in with the punk brigade largely due to the attitude, style, and stories of violence at their gigs.

I did see them live in Liverpool University UK in the late 70's, and witnessed said violence. Some idiot (always stuck in my mind that he looked nothing like a punk, and was wearing a striped rugby shirt) near the front was continuously spitting at JJ Burnel. At one point Cornwell stopped the song and asked for the spitting to stop. But the idiot carried on. So Burnel takes off his bass, and promptly launches it at the head of the guy...it hits him and lays him out, and goes bouncing along the floor. The bouncers (hells angels, if the rumours be true) pile down from the side of the stage and mayhem ensues.

The gig went on, but that uneasy threat of all out anarchy and chaos was always there.

After the gig, myself and some friends were walking past one of the big hotels in Liverpool on the way home, and a drunk guy walking in front of us fell over and cut his head badly. We went to the hotel reception and asked them to call an ambulance, but as we were young, scruffy kids they basically threw us out. But as we left, the stranglers pulled up in a car outside, as they were staying at the hotel. We shook hands, said hello, great gig etc, and told them about the guy who had fallen over. JJ was not happy with that, and he went to the reception and made them call an ambulance. Not only that, he came across the road and sat with us and the drunk guy until the ambulance came, even gave the guy a cigarette. And gave us money for a cab home. Top bloke!
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

New album on the way:

https://stranglers.tmstor.es

"We are pleased to announce that the band’s eighteenth studio album Dark Matters will be released on 10th September 2021 and it is now available to pre-order through The Stranglers Official Store here. The album contains 11 songs which were recorded over the course of two years in the band’s Somerset HQ. The album was completed remotely during the Covid lockdown in spring this year with Louie Nicastro behind the controls. Dark Matters will be available on CD, 180gm black vinyl, limited red/black smoke coloured 180gm vinyl & even a limited cassette as well as 25 special signed white label vinyl test pressings."

I'm in!

Only a fan of the first three albums! They played it too safe after tha; too generic and less interesting!

New album on the way:

https://stranglers.tmstor.es

"We are pleased to announce that the band’s eighteenth studio album Dark Matters will be released on 10th September 2021 and it is now available to pre-order through The Stranglers Official Store here. The album contains 11 songs which were recorded over the course of two years in the band’s Somerset HQ. The album was completed remotely during the Covid lockdown in spring this year with Louie Nicastro behind the controls. Dark Matters will be available on CD, 180gm black vinyl, limited red/black smoke coloured 180gm vinyl & even a limited cassette as well as 25 special signed white label vinyl test pressings."

I'm in!
    This was very welcome news. I've done the pre-order to get the extra live CD - Dave Greenfield - A Tribute.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff O'Donoghue View Post
    This was very welcome news. I've done the pre-order to get the extra live CD - Dave Greenfield - A Tribute.

Same!

Picked up a logo t-shirt, too. I shall wear it safely. And generically.

Dave Sr.

Jon Neudorf
    That is absolutely superb. Thanks for posting!

Nice.

Was a big fan back in 77/78 when I was getting interested in exploring music, had the first three albums up to Black & White, this is quite proggy, sounds almost like it could have been on Tormato!

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    I did see them live in Liverpool University UK in the late 70's, and witnessed said violence. Some idiot (always stuck in my mind that he looked nothing like a punk, and was wearing a striped rugby shirt) near the front was continuously spitting at JJ Burnel. At one point Cornwell stopped the song and asked for the spitting to stop. But the idiot carried on. So Burnel takes off his bass, and promptly launches it at the head of the guy...it hits him and lays him out, and goes bouncing along the floor. The bouncers (hells angels, if the rumours be true) pile down from the side of the stage and mayhem ensues.
    When I saw them in '81 Burnel was getting irritated by a photographer in the audience who wouldn't back off. As a song ended, he unstrapped his bass and dropped it to the stage--KLANGGG--jumped down, and chased the photographer out of the club. The other three just milled about for a while, not looking at the audience until Burnel returned. I asked, "Didja get him?" and Burnel replied "Of course." I found out afterwards that he had tackled the photog in the parking lot and ripped the film out of his camera.

New album is out. First impressions? It's better than Giants (which I thought was good). There are a few surprising moments (trumpet solo! drum machine!). There are few stand-out tracks.

I need more time to digest, but I like it so far.

New album is out. First impressions? It's better than Giants (which I thought was good). There are a few surprising moments (trumpet solo! drum machine!). There are few stand-out tracks.

I need more time to digest, but I like it so far.
    Still waiting on my pre-order to arrive. This comes with an extra live tribute disc to Dave Greenfield with several tracks featuring Dave on lead vocals. I was a bit taken aback when I got an email advising that my order was being sent (to Australia) on the day of the release. I thought for online orders the usual practice was to despatch the packages some time prior to the release day.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Picked up a copy last week. Another fine album. Saw them live in 1977, where does the time go!
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

Oh boy, haven't been in the Stranglers camp for way too long. Seems like 1995 or so, and the album About Time. Just checked what I have been missing ... Already ordered few of the titles since then, including the new one Dark Matters. Looking forward to renew this relationship. Should have asked before taking the plunge, but are there any must buys or stay away albums from after 1995?
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

Quote Originally Posted by PCMusic View Post
    Should have asked before taking the plunge, but are there any must buys or stay away albums from after 1995?
    I would advise caution for "Written in Red" and "Coup de Grace". I like "Written in Red" but it doesn't really sound like any other Stranglers record. That's not a bad thing in my book but I know fans who are not fond of it for that reason. "Coup de Grace" is a very uneven album and I would rank it as my least favourite although "10" is not far behind. I haven't read David Buckley's (long out of print) book "No Mercy: The Authorized and Uncensored Biography of The Stranglers" but I believe that he covers events of the late 90s where it seems that relations between JJ Burnel and guitarist John Ellis deteriorated. I Know I read an interview with JJ where he mentions (without going into any detail) that he felt that Ellis was trying to take over the band. "Coup de Grace" seems to be an album marking a point where JJ was trying to reassert his place in the band. He returns to taking some of the lead vocals (all done by Paul Roberts on the three prior releases) and I think he may have been pushing song ideas that were not fully formed. With Ellis's (and later Roberts') departure and Baz Warne's arrival, the band seem to have achieved a new equilibrium. You can't really go wrong with any of the albums from "Norfolk Coast" on IMHO.

aith01