Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Stranglers: Any freinds or foes?

The original Stranglers were awesome. But these days I prefer Baz.

And everything in between is not bad at all.
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 07-13-2016 at 08:52 AM.
    Still alive and well...

Friend since “Skin Deep” hit the airwaves.

The Raven is probably their most consistent, but I’m also really fond of MIB with its proto-techno minimalism (love the bonus track “Top Secret”). Glad to see some Feline fans here. I jumped ship when 10 rolled along, but going by some of the posts above, it seems that I need to check out the Baz-era material. “Norfolk Coast" is a great song.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    Friend since “Skin Deep” hit the airwaves.

The Raven is probably their most consistent, but I’m also really fond of MIB with its proto-techno minimalism (love the bonus track “Top Secret”). Glad to see some Feline fans here. I jumped ship when 10 rolled along, but going by some of the posts above, it seems that I need to check out the Baz-era material. “Norfolk Coast" is a great song.
    Yes you should...GIANTS is a great album!
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by Morphy65 View Post
    Black and White is my favourite, I remember getting it on vinyl with a free single containing one of my favourite cover versions of all time, Walk On By (....just going for a stroll in the trees...!)
    Killlller! Love that single Walk on By. HUGE fan, seriously in the top of my all time fave bands. I wish more prog bands had their oooomph.

The Stranglers: Any freinds or foes?

Along with Peranporth my punk / post punk tastes were more aligned with PIL / Slits / The Pop Group to which I would add in Wire / Gang Of Four / Magazine.

However I have been along to see them a few times in recent years with mates and they put on a great show, packed with those ultra-catchy hits, the new front man is excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baz and Roberts
    on stage together.... Although Baz is my favorite Stranglers singer and guitarist, I dont discount Paul Roberts contributions. The albums "about time" and "Stranglers in the night" both very good albums... Norfolk coast as well.

And 10 was their absolute worst album IMO. Followed by men in black.
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 07-14-2016 at 06:35 AM.
    Still alive and well...

Orcopian
    The Stranglers were my first 'favourite' band in my early teens when I got into music in a big way, the punk/post punk scene was at its height and I also love PIL and Ultravox amongst other bands. I came into The Stranglers around the time that The Raven was released and quickly worked backwards, with black and white being the stand-out album for me at the time. Parallel to this I started to get into the big 70's prog bands since these bands were popular with the older kids in school and some of my friends older brothers. Rush became a big favourite for me and began to rival the stranglers. In Early February 1981 I can still remember going into town to buy both bands new albums which had just been released the same week - Moving Pictures and Meninblack... let just say I played the former a lot more than the latter.

One of the main reasons I loved the stranglers was Dave Greenfields keyboards, I recently read an interview where he said his main early influences were Rick Wakeman and John Lord - I guess most people would expect he would have said Ray Manzarek.

I pretty much lost contact with the Stranglers after La Folie (the last album I bought) but its on my to do list to pick up some of the CBS albums like Feline. I bought the decades apart compilation a while back but haven't listened to the more modern disc, I will have to remedy this asap.
    Last edited by Orcopian; 07-15-2016 at 06:13 PM.

this thread had me looking them up...

I'm kind of surprised that they hhadn't released anything prior to 77 ( Ithought Rattus was from 76, if not 75)

Have these guys ever disbanded or taken a lengthy break??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I absolutely love this band, before I go into my love for them I wonder how much this band influenced Magazine and IQ? Just my thoughts?

Anyway, I remember our good buddy James (a Briton living in Sweden) often mentioned the band here and I picked up "Feline" and "Greatest Hits 1977-1990" and immediately fell in love with the band. They perhaps were more towards the "progressive" side of the "Post-punk" movement.

The original quartet made some fabulous albums but "Dreamtime" and "10" were not up to the level of the prior eight studio albums.

The "Quintet" era was indeed quite poor almost uninspired, the last two studio albums were a brilliant return to form.

Charles
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

I love all their records (except 10, which sucks.) What a cool band.
    And yes, they are Prog.
    The Prog Corner

Don't think they ever bettered the debut, certainly worthy of a super duper expanded deluxe box set!

fantastic band, a real institution. almost proto-punk by straddling both prog/psych and pub rock yet somehow ending up in the 1976/77 punk turmoil. their on-the-sleeve misogyny and radicalism was almost parody and showed their intellectual edge which was retained from the earliest US punk movements in the late 1960s. do they still boast the oldest member of a rock band to be out on the road – or has jet black (pushing 80) now deservedly retired?

loving this live set from 1997 with the electra strings at the RAH in london – sans cornwell but firing on all cylinders:

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Don't think they ever bettered the debut, certainly worthy of a super duper expanded deluxe box set!
    Jeez it's been a minute since I've been on this site, for some reason I can't log on my workstation computer and unless I'm on my iPad i can't log on.

Anyway, Sir Rufus I think No More Heroes being their best album.

Charles

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I tend to agree
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

G'day Ian, this was a superb band that couldn't capture the brilliance of the first eight albums but I see they are still touring.

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post

loving this live set from 1997 with the electra strings at the RAH in london – sans cornwell but firing on all cylinders:

Good stuff (love the all-chicks orchestra), but....

Is that Paul Roberts or Warne on vocals??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Don't have any of their albums, saw them live once. The concert was preceded by some 15 minutes of excruciating screeches, which was how long it took a roadie to tune Dave Greenfield's old-school Oberheim Eight-Voice poly-synth - his entire rig. They were very intense and powerful. Hugh told a dirty joke in the middle of the set.

Find them patchy and am not keen on their boorish side, but when they hit the target they are genuinely superb. 'Something Better Change', 'No More Heroes', 'Duchess', 'Golden Brown', 'Strange Little Girl'...

The Stranglers seem to make moments that really sink in, in an inconsistent way as reflected in the above posts. Lots of, I love this, but hate that w/ no clear consensus on what's great and what isn't. Rattus was the one that played back in the head for me the most. Euroman Cometh seemed more intoxicating and powerful than most of the Stranglers stuff, kind of like an across the Atlantic (Damon Edge) Chrome extension. The Nosferatu record also has some pretty memorable dark humorous psycho-active stretches, (some of Robt. Williams best stuff imo especially on Mothra). The Fire and Water record has a cool soundtrack feel that is at times a little like Irmin Schmidt's soundtrack records. Had part two of this track, (starting around 5 min. in) stuck in the head for a long time.

I recall seeing the first versions of the Raven featured some sort of 3D insert, anyone have that version? I would imagine it is rare...

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    I recall seeing the first versions of the Raven featured some sort of 3D insert, anyone have that version? I would imagine it is rare...
    Not an insert, it was the cover. It was a 3D lenticular version of the raven image, like what the Stones did on Their Satanic Majesties.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Good stuff (love the all-chicks orchestra), but....

Is that Paul Roberts or Warne on vocals??
    paul roberts, john ellis on guitar. here's the entire concert … the moment where the string ensemble waltzes itself into “golden brown” (ca 44:30) is nothing short of magic in a bottle …

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Never a punk band...they were smart enough to produce very punchy proggy music with a punk attitude. I was absolutely blown away with Rattus on first listen. I have pretty well everything Stranglers including a subscription to Strangled magazine. I still play them as much as the classic prog bands of the 70's, in fact we played Feline at last Wednesdays basement sessions.
    Pretty well sums up my feelings. Still one of my fave bands.

Quote Originally Posted by Morphy65 View Post
    Black and White is my favourite, I remember getting it on vinyl with a free single containing one of my favourite cover versions of all time, Walk On By (....just going for a stroll in the trees...!)
    Absolutely!!

Doing a local prog radio show has it's perks once in a blue moon...in this case, was asked to intro Hugh...got to hang backstage and meet him. cool experience, he was very cordial to me. I've heard he can be a real asshole. lol

https://youtu.be/timlbFFD6FI