Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Yacht Rock

Brazilian yacht rock. Ed Motta is the only guy I've ever heard successfully imitate Steely Dan.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwayne View Post
    Brazilian yacht rock. Ed Motta is the only guy I've ever heard successfully imitate Steely Dan.

I hear a bit of Boz Skaggs in there too

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar

This is quite a tasty earworm. Thanks for posting, have to delve deeper into his recordings.
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

^^^ Hey the Dondi song is great. I too will check out this Ed Motta guy. BTW is that Gong's You on the shelf behind him all the way to the right @ 0:32?

And I think he does it even better on this song. Again, thanks for posting this, really digging his stuff.

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

Does this qualify as yacht rock?

From "Fanboys" 2009.

Beautiful song with instrumental backing by Elliott Randall, Will Lee, and the Brecker Brothers.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Satellite attempted prog, but of course, it didn't last.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM_Music_Lab

XM Music Lab was an XM Satellite Radio online exclusive music channel. The channel was removed from satellite lineup on April 17, 2006. Music Lab aired mainly progressive rock and jam bands

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM_Sat...funct_channels

XM Music Lab (XM51) - Progressive rock and jam bands. This channel moved from the satellites to online only. Removed on 2008-07-15
    XM Music Lab was the reason I originally signed up for XM back then. Once it disappeared, I actually had an email conversation with Lee Abrams about a dedicated Progressive Rock show on Deep Tracks. He asked me to put together an hour-long demo and a short presentation. To be honest, it didn't get any further than that. He seemed genuinely interested, but probably only from the perspective of his own history with the genre and not XM's interests. Alas, "The Core" never made it to the airwaves.
    Chad

Wolf Trap announced this show for the summer:
    Yacht Rock Revue The Hot Dads in Tight Jeans Tour
    ( a Yacht Rock Tribute band )
    Yes it has 'Jumped the shark'.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Those guys are local here in Atlanta and all great players. They are finding they can sell out full sized outdoor venues on nostalgia alone. Though now they are actually getting into original music too. Here's their new single. Not bad, but considering the talent of the players involved I expected something more catchy and...yachty. How does it sound? Like a Prince leftover?