Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Yacht Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    there's deep tracks, classic vinyl and classic rewind. my most played are deep tracks, classic vinyl, classic rewind, liquid metal, ozzy's boneyard, the bridge, 70's on 7, 80's on 8
    How about a Prog channel on Sirius XM ? ... Why not...They have almost any other kinds of music on there...Some genres have more than one channel.

I really don't get it....Why the F%$%# not ?

Quote Originally Posted by 18000HP View Post
    How about a Prog channel on Sirius XM ? ... Why not...They have almost any other kinds of music on there...Some genres have more than one channel.

I really don't get it....Why the F%$%# not ?
    Because very few people are interested in prog. It wouldn't make sense for Sirius XM.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Because very few people are interested in prog. It wouldn't make sense for Sirius XM.
    I suppose you're right...But then again... look at how many members on this site...And that does not include everyone that likes Prog...

I suppose you're right...But then again... look at how many members on this site...And that does not include everyone that likes Prog...
    We're not even a blip on their radar.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Also, an other way to look at it...Back in 1977, Pink Floyd filled the Montreal Olympic stadium with 78,000 people and ELP with 74,000 a month later...That's only 2 shows in one city.

There are a lot of people that like Prog.

Also, an other way to look at it...Back in 1977, Pink Floyd filled the Montreal Olympic stadium with 78,000 people and ELP with 74,000 a month later...That's only 2 shows in one city.

There are a lot of people that like Prog.
    That was 40 years ago. Relatively speaking, there really aren't that many people that care about prog. It's a niche genre that doesn't move the needle for a company as large as Sirius XM.

That was 40 years ago. Relatively speaking, there really aren't that many people that care about prog. It's a niche genre that doesn't move the needle for a company as large as Sirius XM.
    I wish i could say " You're wrong" but i don't think i can....Why can't they at least give it a try for a month...Can they monitor the time listened on any station at any given time ?

I wish i could say " You're wrong" but i don't think i can....Why can't they at least give it a try for a month...Can they monitor the time listened on any station at any given time ?
    I'm sure a company like that would have every analytic possible.

I believe they did have a satellite prog channel at one point. I remember renting a car about 10 years ago and I found a channel that played Amon Duul and Faust. What could it have been other than a prog channel?

I'm sure a company like that would have every analytic possible.
    Here's an other question that you or someone else might have an answer...Does Europe has their own satellite radio and if so, do they have a Prog channel ?? They could look at the ratings over there.

An other possible explaination i have about " No Prog Channel "... Maybe they look at it as the music would be too international and not enough American...Maybe...I hope not !

Couple other points/questions then i will shut up...Promise.

Isn't Howard Stern part owner of Sirius XM and isn't he on the record saying that he likes Prog ?? You would think he would push to give it a try...No ?

Couple other points/questions then i will shut up...Promise.

Isn't Howard Stern part owner of Sirius XM and isn't he on the record saying that he likes Prog ?? You would think he would push to give it a try...No ?
    With all due respect, you're not getting it. It doesn't matter if Howard likes prog. If he does, he can listen to it on his own time. But from a business standpoint, it makes no sense for them to play much prog because it's just not that popular.

Howard is not an owner - just a highly paid employee
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Satellite attempted prog, but of course, it didn't last.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM_Music_Lab

XM Music Lab was an XM Satellite Radio online exclusive music channel. The channel was removed from satellite lineup on April 17, 2006. Music Lab aired mainly progressive rock and jam bands

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM_Sat...funct_channels

XM Music Lab (XM51) - Progressive rock and jam bands. This channel moved from the satellites to online only. Removed on 2008-07-15

^^ Yeah. I remember Music Lab. Heard some good stuff on there back in early 2005, if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    Sirius has yacht rock on channel 18, but I am curious on something: the range that "yacht rock" was being created was mentioned on a site (Wikipedia?) as occurring between 1975-1981, but I know the music being played on the channel is being a little loose on that. What exactly qualifies as "yacht rock"?

Also, is there any particular favorite yacht rock songs or albums you like or recommend? By what is being played, Seals and Crofts and England Dan and John Ford Coley, both of whom I like, are part of it...
    A ton of Yacht Rock gems can be heard at knxfm93.com. Original station was the Mellow Rock station in LA from 73 to 83 and core artists played included Little River Band, Steely Dan, Toto, Boz Scaggs, Doobie Brothers with Michael McDonald, Robbie Dupree, Seals and Crofts, Christopher Cross, etc. Station had it's own Yacht Rock like id jingles which are also being played.
    Last edited by Movin Easy; 11-05-2018 at 11:53 PM.

Is this Yacht Rock:

https://youtu.be/wswFjuJPbxg

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Is this Yacht Rock:

No, but it's a good song! Marillion did a fun cover of that live.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Is this Yacht Rock:

Man, I loved that song. One of their best and the Finns wrote a lot of great tunes.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'll play some Toto or Hall & Oates in a quick minute...

Last night's season premier of Family Guy had Peter being prescribed yacht rock to help him cope after a panic attack.

always loved this band and especially this song long before i found out they were branded Yacht Rockers.

The Little River Band were much more than Yacht Rockers. They made some great albums and were also a fantastic live band (Checkout the live Backstage Pass album). I only got to see them once when John Farnham was the lead singer on "The Net" tour. They put on a great show and were really good musicians. It was also amazing how well they could pull off the vocal harmonies live.

Yacht Rock “deep track” from a short lived “supergroup” (if you consider a group with ex-members of Appaloosa and Cactus to be “super”):

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    The Little River Band were much more than Yacht Rockers. They made some great albums and were also a fantastic live band (Checkout the live Backstage Pass album). I only got to see them once when John Farnham was the lead singer on "The Net" tour. They put on a great show and were really good musicians. It was also amazing how well they could pull off the vocal harmonies live.
    you don't have to convince me, their harmonies were excellent. and wrote great songs. they had multiple writers, singers so their albums were very diverse. although they had many hits, they were never commercial. their songs were so good, any song could have been a hit.