Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Yacht Rock

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Whoa there Hoss, don't take any umbrage.
    Because "Yacht Rock", as has been discussed here, is stuff like Christopher Cross, Jimmy Buffet, the Piña Colada song, Bertie Higgins Key Largo etc. Champagne coolies, wine spritzers, margaritas and drinks with fruit in them.
    Methinks you might be describing a completely different lifestyle than the one I'm contemplating. Well, not completely different. I just think you might be hanging out with a different kind of folk than I might be. THen again, I might not hanging out with anyone. I mean who really wants to get seasick while listening to Fireball, Chinatown, and Lights Out and drinking grape soda and herb tea?! I mean, besides me. Probably not very many, I'd imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Methinks you might be describing a completely different lifestyle than the one I'm contemplating. Well, not completely different. I just think you might be hanging out with a different kind of folk than I might be. THen oagain, I might not hanging out with anyone. I mean who really wants to get seasick while listening to Fireball, Chinatown, and Lights Out and drinking grape soda and herb tea?! I mean, besides me. Probably not very many, I'd imagine.
    Wow, I thought the winky face would be enough of a hint but I guess not. You're completely missing the point of my posts. If you read through my posts in this thread, I've been making light of the whole idea of "yacht rock" (as have many others). In addition to that, I was drawing a distinction between the kind of tunes that appear on "yacht rock" radio playlists and stuff like Deep Purple and Thin Lizzy etc. Hence, the joke about the pontoon boat and brewskis, further making that distinction. Then you compound that by assuming that I would be one to be drinking champagne coolies on a yacht listening to the Piña Colada song, when I would be the guy drinking beer on the pontoon boat. In sum, I was just joking, ie not to be taken too seriously. I mean, this is a Yacht Rock thread--how serious can it be taken....

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I don’t go in for any of that poseur Yacht-Rock. Only true, old-school Yacht Rock.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Dimmu Borgir as yacht rock?

Only if the yacht is The Flying Dutchman
    It's Longship Rock
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    I had Sirius for awhile on a 3 month free trial basis. Deep Tracks was the only channel that played prog stuff consistently, including a nice selection of 70s era Genesis tunes. The only other channel I listened to much was the Classic Rock or Rewind one.
    there's deep tracks, classic vinyl and classic rewind. my most played are deep tracks, classic vinyl, classic rewind, liquid metal, ozzy's boneyard, the bridge, 70's on 7, 80's on 8

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Is that Georgie Porgie song really well known? I cracked up when I heard that Georgie Porgie chorus part repeated so many times. I’ve never listen to much Toto. I think I started a long and spirited Toto thread here a few years back though.

So I’ve now heard twice on Yacht Rock a song by Benny Mardones called Into the Night. Some of the instrumentation sounds nice, but unless I’m mistaken the song is basically about pedophilia.
    I refer to that Mardones song as "the serial killer song". He's singing about this girl who is clearly underage and the chorus is about sweeping her off "into the night", which sounds as abducting her off to do nefarious things. Of course, I could be watching too much ID...

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    You don't remember Benny Mardones? He got a lot of airplay on Cleveland FM radio in the late 70s, along with other obscurities such as Sniff -N- The Tears, The Iron City House Rockers, The Godz, Flash and The Pan,..others. I wouldn't have thought Mardones would be on a so-called "Yacht Rock" channel. It's been a long time, but I remember him as being closer to Eddie Money.

And to come clean,.."Yacht Rock" as a genre is revisionist BS made up by people who were too young to have been there when it happened, and don't realize that much of this already has a category; Soft Rock. (An imperfect term, but one that's had it's flag planted for years.)
    Actually, it was a term to poke fun at a certain type of soft rock (not even an actual genre really, as it seems you have pop rock stuff like Michael McDonald, folky stuff such as America and Seals and Crofts and some classic rock such as the Eagles and Doobie Brothers, as well as whatever Kenny Loggins qualifies as mixed together and I question the time frame of the mid- to late 70's into the early 80's because wtf are the Rascals doing in there?)

My impression of Yacht rock is that it was stuff played on the radio stations I never listened too...

I don’t go in for any of that poseur Yacht-Rock. Only true, old-school Yacht Rock.
    So...no State Cows for you?

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Imagine playing this stuff for a living? It all started here in Atlanta-

http://www.atlantamagazine.com/great...ht-rock-revue/

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Imagine playing this stuff for a living? It all started here in Atlanta-

http://www.atlantamagazine.com/great...ht-rock-revue/
    Pretty good read. There really is some creative talent behind a lot of the original songs. It's a shame the leader has such a negative attitude about the music he's making his living from. But as long as he doesn't convey that when he's performing, it's no skin off my butt.

There's no shame in liking what you like. I wish people could be okay with that.

Good article.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Imagine playing this stuff for a living?
    Band member: That would be hell on earth.
    Club owner: Yes, but you will make a lot of money.

LOL!

In March this year the book The Yacht Rock Book : The Oral History of the Soft, Smooth Sounds of the 70s and 80s was published.
    Saw a copy in The American Bookstore and it looked nice with a lot of interviews. Didn't buy it, because my bag became to heavy with another new book with record-covers ;-)

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Anything that was sung by, or provided backing vocals by, Michael McDonald. And yeah, that includes any Steely Dan.

Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Anything that was sung by, or provided backing vocals by, Michael McDonald. And yeah, that includes any Steely Dan.
    I remember SCTV doing a spoof of the ubiquity of his voice on pop radio circa 1979-80, where he was driving to the recording studio and running in and out to sing “Such a long way to go” on Christopher Cross’ “Ride Like the Wind.”

One of the lesser-remembered hits from that era: “Please Don’t Leave” by Lauren Wood, a.k.a. Ilene Rappaport, a.k.a. “Chunky” from Chunky, Novi & Ernie:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    In March this year the book The Yacht Rock Book : The Oral History of the Soft, Smooth Sounds of the 70s and 80s was published.
    Saw a copy in The American Bookstore and it looked nice with a lot of interviews. Didn't buy it, because my bag became to heavy with another new book with record-covers ;-)
    The Hipgnosis book?

The Hipgnosis book?
    Ha, ha, yeah, that might have been the case, but I've bought that one when it was released (like almost all their other books).

No, this one's called https://thamesandhudson.com/album-art-9780500294154 by John Foster (Thames & Hudson, 2018). It's a collection of rather new artwork for LP's, box-sets, CD's, made by a couple of designers from which a couple are Hipgnosis-fans.

Back to the Yacht :-)

Ha, ha, yeah, that might have been the case, but I've bought that one when it was released (like almost all their other books).
    A schoolmate of mine had it. Never seen it in a store, untill my vacation, when I visited a large bookstore in Trier, when I saw a re-issue in German, which I bought.

The Hipgnosis book?
    Which Hipgnosis book do you mean?

Which Hipgnosis book do you mean?
    Vinyl Album Cover Art

With all covers they designed and stories how they were put together. Fascinating how they did all this without digital trickery.

I have a couple of books about them, but I didn’t know there was a new one.

It's not a new one, but a re-issue. Don't know if there are covers added, that weren't in the original.

It's from 2017: https://www.amazon.com/Vinyl-Album-C.../dp/0500519323

Yacht Rock Radio has moved to Channel 30 on Sirius XM for the time being. Be sure to change your presets so that you can hear the same 20 songs every hour, including Toto's Gorgy Porgy four times every 20 minutes.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap