Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steve Hillage Box Set Pre-Order

Steve Hillage Box Set Pre-Order

Well, the mammoth box is coming in October. Pre-order is up at http://www.stevehillage.com. Steep at £200, but with such a hefty book and lots of extras worth it!

image.jpg

Wow. yeah... Looks great but I've already got 10 of the discs. Usually my rule is not to buy new boxes if I've got 50%+ of the material already. I don't quite hit that point here, but still... A lot of money. Will have to ponder this.

Some further info. The book is being put together with Hillage and Gong maestro Jonny Greene. It also includes an interview with Hillage by Sid Smith!

Maybe.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Mmmm, it comes out to 11 pounds per cd if I include shipment,
    Thats rather steep for material that I mostly have / live shows I will probably listen to only once.
    I would have shelled the money if it had a surround mix thrown in..,

At least you know it will be released on time...<<Hint, Hint>>

...Shit....I might really have to get this....I have all of Steve's early solo albums on vinyl (which I never listen to 'cus no turntable right now) and almost nothing on CD except Khan (a desert island classic)

This might have to go on the Xmas early.

Damn i love boxes like this,but all I don't have is the Sparks CDs.If Arzachel sounds improved plus that book may be worth it.I assume the studio albums are the 2007 remasters because of the bonus tracks.

At least the lower exchange rate makes this effectively about 14 percent cheaper than it otherwise would have been.

Orcopian
    This looks like a really nice package but like many people I own pretty much all the commercially available material so it's a lot of money for the cd's I don't have. It's still very tempting though. Knowing you have a nice box set is a deeply satisfying feeling, it's not a very rational way to evaluate value for money but that's what music collecting does to you.

Lots of good stuff. They should throw in the DVDs as well. Speaking of which, does anyone have the Deeply Vale Festivals DVD? I am wondering how much Hillage's is on it.

I see Khan seems to be missing the bonus tracks Break the Chains and Mixed Up Man of the Mountains (first version)
    Last edited by Wah3; 07-07-2016 at 09:19 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Orcopian View Post
    Knowing you have a nice box set is a deeply satisfying feeling
    Truer words were never spoken.

A little on the expensive side, I agree, especially if one already owns most or all of the main albums. But some real Holy Grail material that I didn't expect (Khan II demos - nearly 20 minutes of them - wow !). That's 230 euros as of today's exchange rate, which makes about 10 euros/CD. Not that bad a deal.

(For those interested in Khan, do check my blog entries [link in signature] on the complete history of the band... Wondering how Steve's own account in the booklet will compete with that !)
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

It's a bit on the expensive side for me, especially considering thay I already own quite a significant part of the material. The Khan II seem very interesting though. Is there any info on release date? I hope it is released AFTER I come back home from a trip to Lisbon in late September. If I manage to see it in a FNAC I'm afraid I won't resist.

I own very little of this, but this set is way too expensive, IMO.

^^^ Not a bad value on a per-cd basis, as calyx points out above. And the whole package looks pretty snazzy. But is there really anyone out there who would want to buy this who doesn't already have at least all the 2000s remasters? Maybe a few folks who only have the vinyls? Had Steve just put out an "live and unreleased" package without the studio stuff for say $100-$125 I would buy that in a heartbeat.

Most might have seen that it is also available at Burning Shed: https://www.burningshed.com/store/ma...duct/397/7787/
    I own nothing of this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    ^^^ Not a bad value on a per-cd basis, as calyx points out above. And the whole package looks pretty snazzy. But is there really anyone out there who would want to buy this who doesn't already have at least all the 2000s remasters? Maybe a few folks who only have the vinyls? Had Steve just put out an "live and unreleased" package without the studio stuff for say $100-$125 I would buy that in a heartbeat.
    Aren't the KC sets a lot less per disk?

Like many of you, I already have a lot of these discs (eight of them to be exact). While it looks like a beauty, I simply can't buy every eye-catching boxed set I see anymore. Can't justify this one, but if I were a rich man....
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I am mainly a fan of Hillage's Open, Rainbow Dome Musick and And Not Or albums. Would love to be able to just buy CD 17 Hammersmith 1979 which has live tracks from the Open album!

If for nothing, I'd buy it for this: "and four discs (Sparks Volumes 1-4) packed with previously unheard and unreleased tracks, demos and alternate takes." Here's hoping this gets a separate release.

As for the rest of the box, I sure hope Hillage didn't master these like he did Gong's 2032 album!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Steve & Miquette unzipping the zype, quite possibly this morning. It does look superb, that's for sure.

I preordered it months ago....can't wait....totally for discretionary, personal listening pleasure

Goodness... I would LOVE to get this. Just too much money. Gawd!!!... Looks fantastic.