Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Give Me Your Best Shot....

Give Me Your Best Shot....

Did you see Roger Daltry's interview in Rolling Stone? When asked about new music he said:
    There's no record industry anymore. Why would I make a record? I would have to pay to make a record. There's no royalties so I can't see that ever happening. There's no record business. How do you get the money to make the records? I don't know.

I'm certainly not going to pay money to give my music away free.
    Asked why the record industry is in the state that it's in, Daltrey adds:
    Well, it's been stolen. The way the internet has come about has been the biggest robbery in history, like musicians should work for nothing….

You get paid for streaming, my ass. There's no control. Musicians are getting robbed every day.
    I'm concerned about the state of new music today, and in the near future. I find myself listening almost exclusively to great stuff from the past. But I'd LOVE something new. That's why I'm here, and why I posted my frustration in the "PROGRESSIVE ROCK IS DEAD" thread. I think we all realize by now, it's almost a superhuman feat today for musicians to not only make great music, but to be found and heard. I'm sorry we got shut down 'over there' (a misunderstanding), but let's see if they'll allow us to continue our discussion here...

Can you suggest some of your favorite artists for me? Who do you find exceptionally good? Keeping in mind, I like great variety and taste from an artist, within each song or piece of music, and from piece to piece. Sameness is a killer for me.

I admit I'm skeptical. I took the time to listen to all the bands people suggested on my "Prog Is Dead" thread. I liked some of them like Big Big Train, but the tracks of theirs I listened to were very much all in the same vein. I don't enjoy that after a couple of tracks. It gets boring.

Some bands were so dissonant and relentlessly raucous from beginning to end, I hated them. It's like an assault. I don't mind any of that as a statement and a tool of expression, but when it goes on and on and there's nothing else, I lose interest and want to run screaming from the room. You know?

Some, like Bill In The Tea I also liked a lot, but no vocals to speak of. I miss that. And Wolf People, very cool, but a bit limited to folk rock.

I like a band that can do it all. Rock out AND be soft and sweet sometimes, jazzy AND simple, instrumentals AND great vocals and harmonies—all of it. That's my definition of 'progressive'. No limits on what can be used and full of innovation and adventure, but always a genuine expression that serves the music, not just the musician. Like real people who are full of surprises. The extremes I hear in many so-called 'prog' bands seem forced and unnatural to me. Like a lover who touches you with great finesse, but then keeps rubbing the same spot!! I hate to see all that good talent limited to such narrow expressions.

I really am sincere in caring about this subject, and looking for music I can enjoy. I love my husband's music (who shall forever remain nameless) and I set off a firestorm by using him as a reference point. But unfortunately, he's the only good example I know. I'm eager to know some more!!

Suggestions?

Sherry

If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Give Me Your Best Shot....

Gandalf's Fist.

https://youtu.be/8q_EwY7tabw

If the link doesn't work just search them in You Tube.
    Last edited by JohnCurlewis; 07-05-2016 at 04:11 PM.

Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    My favorite modern bands that are probably somewhere in the area you are looking for are probably

Knifeworld
    Bent Knee
    Jack O The Clock
    Wolf People
    Stars In Battledress
    cellar and point

you'd probably hate the rest as making a dreadful racket!!
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Just bought the recent one this weekend, it's great.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

FWIW, Sherry, adap2it and I have been listening to music longer than anyone else on this site (we were teens in the '50s), and his Moulettes recommendation along with Nogbad's Bent Knee, Jack O' The Clock & Wolf People recommendations must be right, since all 4 are in my collection.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    FWIW, Sherry, adap2it and I have been listening to music longer than anyone else on this site (we were teens in the '50s)
    Would there be an "18" or "19" in front of that "50's" there, geeze?
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I can't say for sure, Batts, but I remember that slavery thing did rile me up some.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Gotye would seem to fit your bill
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

I posted an entire Cardiacs concert on your other thread....have you bothered to listen to any of it or have you ever heard that band? Best fuckin band ever BTW. Well, and Hatfield and the North, Henry Cow, Magma, FZ, and Bob Drake

PS - If you really want to hear it "all", then you need to check out the soundtracks of Ennio Moricone. My discovery of the year, and possibly many years. No joke.

Also, recommendations for Moulettes are spot-on as well. Also, don't ignore Knifeworld, Stars in Battledress, Jack of the Clock, and Bent Knee. Class over.

Thanks, guys! I'm familiar with a few of these, and I'll check out the rest. I'll get back to you.

And if the moderators will allow, you can recommend yourself if applicable, as far as I'm concerned.

I suspect if she was into that sort of stuff she wouldn't be declaring the genre DEAD, Mr Chalkpie. ^^^

Roger Daltry is upset for good reason.... Listen to the crap people give away for free!
    There oughtta be a law!!!

Next up... The soothing sounds of Blue Vino.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I suspect if she was into that sort of stuff she wouldn't be declaring the genre DEAD, Mr Chalkpie. ^^^
    I based that 'dead' comment on the music I had heard in my travels, which compared to most members here, is apparently very little. I'd been put off trying to find anything I liked. Maybe this will help.

Can you cut me some slack? Based on what I saw other people doing, I found it hard to believe there was anything wrong with letting as many prog fans as possible know about my husband's new music on the Main Board—just as we're doing now—for THEIR own benefit as music fans, not my husband's. To quote Daltry, why would I? What's the point? Nobody's buying anything, for Pete's sake. That's not what this is about. But I guess recommendations have to come from someone who doesn't know the artist, is that right? I assure you I won't mention his name again!

Let's talk about music.

Like I said, I'll do some listening...

Quote Originally Posted by SherryAnn View Post
    Can you cut me some slack?
    Previously banned members have used up their slack.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I give... Where can I download you hubbys record?
    I used to write reviews. I will write an honest review and post it here.
    Still alive and well...

I like a band that can do it all. Rock out AND be soft and sweet sometimes, jazzy AND simple, instrumentals AND great vocals and harmonies—all of it. That's my definition of 'progressive'. No limits on what can be used and full of innovation and adventure, but always a genuine expression that serves the music, not just the musician.
    Try a Mike Keneally album. I doubt Mike's bank account is anywhere near the size of Roger Daltry's, but he doesn't make excuses, he makes great music with all of the qualities you described. Try Dancing, Hat, or Boil That Dust Speck. And there's a new double CD coming out this month called Scambot 2. And there's Esperanza Spalding's terrific album, Emily's D+ Evolution. There's not a weak track on this album.

As for the more dissonant and weirder stuff. You gotta listen to it more than once before you dismiss it.

Can you suggest some of your favorite artists for me? Who do you find exceptionally good? Keeping in mind, I like great variety and taste from an artist, within each song or piece of music, and from piece to piece. Sameness is a killer for me.

I admit I'm skeptical. I took the time to listen to all the bands people suggested on my "Prog Is Dead" thread. I liked some of them like Big Big Train, but the tracks of theirs I listened to were very much all in the same vein. I don't enjoy that after a couple of tracks. It gets boring.

Some bands were so dissonant and relentlessly raucous from beginning to end, I hated them. It's like an assault. I don't mind any of that as a statement and a tool of expression, but when it goes on and on and there's nothing else, I lose interest and want to run screaming from the room. You know?

Some, like Bill In The Tea I also liked a lot, but no vocals to speak of. I miss that. And Wolf People, very cool, but a bit limited to folk rock.

I like a band that can do it all. Rock out AND be soft and sweet sometimes, jazzy AND simple, instrumentals AND great vocals and harmonies—all of it. That's my definition of 'progressive'. No limits on what can be used and full of innovation and adventure, but always a genuine expression that serves the music, not just the musician. Like real people who are full of surprises. The extremes I hear in many so-called 'prog' bands seem forced and unnatural to me. Like a lover who touches you with great finesse, but then keeps rubbing the same spot!! I hate to see all that good talent limited to such narrow expressions.

I think it's clear that you bring some large limitations to the table that may well be impossible to reconcile, insofar as the pursuit of new music. You want something new, yet also very familiar. But not *too* familiar. But not too "strange," either.

I think you might be better off exploring bands from the '70s that you haven't gotten to yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Previously banned members have used up their slack.
    I think you were wrong; I shouldn't have been banned. I think you were inconsistent and unfair with me. Shall we start again?

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I think it's clear that you bring some large limitations to the table that may well be impossible to reconcile, insofar as the pursuit of new music. You want something new, yet also very familiar. But not *too* familiar. But not too "strange," either.

I think you might be better off exploring bands from the '70s that you haven't gotten to yet.
    Isn't art amazing? It's a never-ending wellspring. I LOVE to hear something new, not just familiar, though that can be fine, too. I have no limits on it, except that it be honest and well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    As for the more dissonant and weirder stuff. You gotta listen to it more than once before you dismiss it.

I definitely agree with that. If I get over the first hurdle of not hating it, and there's something that appeals, I stay with it.

Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    I give... Where can I download you hubbys record?
    I used to write reviews. I will write an honest review and post it here.
    Are you trying to get me in trouble?

I'll send you a link privately.