Thread: A book on Amon Dl 2

A book on Amon Dl 2

if you understand German I recommend "Tanz der Lemminge" by rock journalist Ingeborg Schober. it deals chiefly with Amon Dl 2, but there are also some insights to the Krautrock scene in general.

$_1.JPG

Schober was a close friend of the Dls (her boyfriend Rdiger Nchtern made a short movie titled "Amon Dl 2 plays Phallus Dei") and hence her book has a lot of inside information on them that you won't get anywhere else. some of the scenes she describes in the book make you think "this is awesome and should be made into a movie".

I will describe two scenes which made me think "this should be made into a movie".

scene 1: Amon Dl 2 played at a festival in Paris. before them Hawkwind had played their gig, and they needed a lot of time to get their gear off the stage, so the audience grew impatient. one spectator broke off the back of a chair and threw it on stage where it hit synth player Kalle Hausmann, a very thin guy, on the shoulder. this made bassist Lothar Meid mad, and he threw it back into the audience where it hit a spectator right in the face. the audience really became angry after that, and to save the situation Meid plugged in his bass and played the Marsellaise. what followed was one of the best Amon Dl 2 gigs ever.

scene 2: Amon Dl 2 played a concert in Frankfurt. when they returned to their hotel a buffet for bankers and businessmen took place on the ground floor, and the Dls in their totally stoned condition decided to crash the party in their hippie clothes, picking up chicken drumsticks and other food stuff with their hashish-stained fingers. a fight broke out. one of the bankers went mad shouting "you just hit my brother who is suffering from a lung complaint. I will kill you"! the stoned Dls decided to take a powder and ran into the streets, but the bankers and businessmen were really angry now, got into their cars and tried to run them over or squeeze them to the walls.

hours later Ingeborg Schober and Rdiger Nchtern drove all around Frankfurt picking up the frightened Dl members who had hid themselves in the streets.

I think you will agree that these episodes would be great scenes for a movie.

here a link to the Rdiger Nchtern movie:

the movie was made with a very basic equipment, so the aural and visual quality is not the best. but it gives a good impression what the band was like in their wild days.
    Last edited by BaldJean; 07-05-2016 at 01:26 AM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Sounds like a great book - I wish I could read German.

I agree, you’ve whetted my appetite. An Amon Dl 2 movie must happen in my lifetime! Make it happen, German cinema!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    An Amon Dl 2 movie must happen in my lifetime! Make it happen, German cinema!
    Seeing how one of the cinematographers for the Phallus Dei short film was none other than Wim Wenders (who was himself part of the burgeoning countercultural underground in Mnich during the late 60s), this is perhaps more feasible than one should imagine. Some parts of this milieu is also very faintly portrayed in the second series of the legendary Heimat chronicle.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Speaking of which, has anyone ever seen Chamsin, the film that ADII did the soundtrack for?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Speaking of which, has anyone ever seen Chamsin, the film that ADII did the soundtrack for?
    Good question. It's probably unwatchable, but I'd watch it!

wish they would release a English translation, it's funny but most Krautrock bands figured out early on to be successful they needed to sing in English, too bad the writer didn't figure this out as well..

"Chamsin" is a movie by Austrian director Veit Relin from 1972. it is based on a novel by German poet and playwright Friedrich Schiller. the lead was played by his wife Maria Schell.

I tried to find clips but the search was fruitless

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    wish they would release a English translation, it's funny but most Krautrock bands figured out early on to be successful they needed to sing in English, too bad the writer didn't figure this out as well..
    I suppose writing a book in English, if it isn't your mothertongue, is a bit different than writing lyrics in English.

And how many German groups are critisized for singing in English?

Wow, I may have to just get this for retirement Lesung
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"