Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: SPOTIFY - Again

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    Man, I replied to this thread years ago, and I still don't use Spotify (though I have a free subscription.....well, maybe, it's been years since I logged in). My wife listens to Pandora and her music taste is close enough to mine that I just listen to that if she has it on. Otherwise it's just CD's and my ripped music collection for me. I guess I really am "old school"

I would give Spotify another listen, but these days I just feel like I really don't NEED to hear more music I'll inevitably want to buy. I still manage to hear a lot of new stuff anyway.
    I am going to ask a question and its just because I'm too lazy to go diggin' - How does Pandora compare to Spotify? I used to use Pandora a fair amount but not much anymore since I ran up against the repeat pattern thing - where I started hearing the same tunes even with adding more variety - although that might not be the case now.

Since it wasn't answered, I'll simply remark that for the budget conscious person (and there are many of those in this world) services like Spotify fill an important niche. Once upon a time, I could turn on the radio and hear music for free with commercial interruption - not anymore. Spotify has in-effect replaced that listening experience with one at a modest price.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Since it wasn't answered, I'll simply remark that for the budget conscious person (and there are many of those in this world) services like Spotify fill an important niche. Once upon a time, I could turn on the radio and hear music for free with commercial interruption - not anymore. Spotify has in-effect replaced that listening experience with one at a modest price.
    I fall on your side of this discussion in a lot of areas. I'm wondering if anyone here knows, in the days when commercial radio was booming, did artists make more from each playing of one of their songs?

The big difference with Spotify of course, is that you can listen to full albums. Of course, another big difference is that you can pay Spotify (and other services) to dispense with the commercials. I'm just trying to get a little perspective on the difference between radio and Spotify.

^^^^^

Jed

In brief.
    Radio feeds you stuff. You wanna listen to Clutching At Straws? Well, there is a very good chance you will not hear it on the radio when you want to hear it. You may hear something else you like or you may not, but there really is no comparison in THIS manner between streaming and radio.

I can’t tell you if the rates radio paid were better or worse than what streaming paid because of a US only loophole that allowed the folks that collect the money from the station to not give it to exactly who they played. Too long for me to type out here.

But basically, I think one should consider the fact that radio tends to act as a discovery place and a advertisement for recorded music (if one liked it enough to want to buy it and have control on your ability to hear it when you want) and streaming tends to act as a replacement for buying.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Radio plays one tune (somewhat) randomly, streaming plays entire albums on demand. Big difference. The real question is: what percentage has streaming replaced radio?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Radio plays one tune (somewhat) randomly, streaming plays entire albums on demand. Big difference. The real question is: what percentage has streaming replaced radio?
    I do remember major rock radio stations sometimes playing full albums, but that wasn't the norm. I also remember public radio stations playing full albums more frequently.

I'd say radio pretty much died, and streaming came in later.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I fall on your side of this discussion in a lot of areas. I'm wondering if anyone here knows, in the days when commercial radio was booming, did artists make more from each playing of one of their songs?

The big difference with Spotify of course, is that you can listen to full albums. Of course, another big difference is that you can pay Spotify (and other services) to dispense with the commercials. I'm just trying to get a little perspective on the difference between radio and Spotify.
    AM/FM stations are still exempt from paying royalties to artists. This has been the practice as far back as I recall.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

AM/FM stations are still exempt from paying royalties to artists. This has been the practice as far back as I recall.
    This is incorrect. Money is collected ‘on behalf’ of artists.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

When I first read the title thread I thought it was SPOTY. Which is the best sports personalities of the the year (BBC)...

What an idiot I am!!

I'm wondering if anyone here knows, in the days when commercial radio was booming, did artists make more from each playing of one of their songs?
    I think that's covered in the article that spawned the long thread on similar matters: https://ir.citi.com/QnhL09FARMDbvMhn...An10iZxCkYc%3D

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    This is incorrect. Money is collected ‘on behalf’ of artists.
    The Music Modernization Act has not yet passed Congress. AM and FM station currently continue to be exempt from paying royalties for over-the-air broadcasts. Digital is a separate issue.

The Music Modernization Act has not yet passed Congress. AM and FM station currently continue to be exempt from paying royalties for over-the-air broadcasts. Digital is a separate issue.
    Unless it gets into politics, does anyone know why the Music Modernization Act only affects recordings prior to 1972?

They've been collecting money since at least the 80s. Absolutely. It might be on behalf of publishers and it might be on behalf of artists or it might be on behalf of both, but they do collect.

They collect music and stations have to keep logs of what they played so they can carefully look them over and not pay those people.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Unless it gets into politics, does anyone know why the Music Modernization Act only affects recordings prior to 1972?
    It doesn't overall, but one of its main provisions, the CLASSICS Act, does. You know how recordings have two copyright symbols, © and ℗? The C copyright covers the musical composition and lyrics only. The P copyright covers the actual sound recording. The latter did not exist prior to 1972, so the CLASSICS Act gives pre-1972 recordings retroactive copyright protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    It doesn't overall, but one of its main provisions, the CLASSICS Act, does. You know how recordings have two copyright symbols, © and ℗? The C copyright covers the musical composition and lyrics only. The P copyright covers the actual sound recording. The latter did not exist prior to 1972, so the CLASSICS Act gives pre-1972 recordings retroactive copyright protection.
    Oh, well that's good. Thanks, I guess I didn't read the entire thing.

Something that really pisses me off about Spotify is that they’ve changed it so that you no longer can view artists in your library in alphabetical order unless you click “Follow” for the artists you want to view alphabetically. I’ve never once clicked “Follow,” and I have a ton of albums “downloaded” to my library and I don’t relish going through all of them and clicking Follow. In fact, I don’t even know what following an artist does besides fixing this crappy “feature” of Spotify.

Something that really pisses me off about Spotify is that they’ve changed it so that you no longer can view artists in your library in alphabetical order unless you click “Follow” for the artists you want to view alphabetically. I’ve never once clicked “Follow,” and I have a ton of albums “downloaded” to my library and I don’t relish going through all of them and clicking Follow. In fact, I don’t even know what following an artist does besides fixing this crappy “feature” of Spotify.
    I don't get your problem. I have artists arranged by default in alphabetical order. Both in desktop version and in iOS. No following needed.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

In fact, I don’t even know what following an artist does besides fixing this crappy “feature” of Spotify.
    It's supposed to give you notifications when an artist released new music or has a baby or something. I've never received any notifications that I recall. I might have silenced it, but most of my artists are retired or dead, so I wouldn't really be receiving any new notifications from them. I suppose I could Follow Steve Roach to test the feature. He released a new album every other week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I don't get your problem. I have artists arranged by default in alphabetical order. Both in desktop version and in iOS. No following needed.
    Here's where other people were reporting the problem (the link says Android but it's the same with iOS). Even with the Artist filter selected, they were all in a random order until last night - I did click Follow for them all. It actually didn't take as long as I'd feared.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/And...n/td-p/4771748

Like the other people in that thread, I USED to be able to view artists for albums saved in my Library until that update earlier this year. Maybe you never got the update? Also possibly they didn't roll out that update in all countries.

UPDATE: I just checked the web player and the artists are NOT sorted alphabetically. Also, I can't find the filters that are available in the iOS app. This sucks. It does sort them in the Desktop app, which I just saw existed - I didn't know about it. Of course, it sorts by an artists first name, which is a pain. The iOS app does that too.

Oh, another thing: it blows that for some albums, some tracks aren't available. I can see how an artist might want to set it up that way, but it sucks that Spotify charges you (if you're not using for the full version) to listen to incomplete albums.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 1 Week Ago at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    What percentage of the absolutely nothing that the artists get do you want them to reimburse you for?
    My observations had nothing to with the payments Spotify does or doesn't make to artists. They're only about the functionality of their product which they charge customers for.