Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: SPOTIFY - Again

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I've sent a couple of messages to Sonos and also posted something on their Facebook page asking them to elaborate on what they mean when they claim that if I subscribe I'll have access to "all the music on earth." I told them I have albums on vinyl that have never been released on CD, and asked if I'll have access to them via Sonos.

Scamming bastards better come clean on this.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I've sent a couple of messages to Sonos and also posted something on their Facebook page asking them to elaborate on what they mean when they claim that if I subscribe I'll have access to "all the music on earth." I told them I have albums on vinyl that have never been released on CD, and asked if I'll have access to them via Sonos. Scamming bastards better come clean on this.
    The semantics here are problematic. No one "subscribes" to Sonos...they are not a subscription service. The Sonos hardware acts as a conduit to your music collection as well as an array of music subscription services and Internet radio. Theoretically, a person with a HUGE individual music collection who also subscribed to a music streaming service and perhaps some Internet radio could in fact have ACCESS to "all the music on earth" (or come pretty damn close) through their Sonos hardware. Sonos themselves have ZERO involvement in what gets released on what format and via which service. For the example you provided, if you ripped your vinyl to digital files, you'd have access to them through Sonos hardware. Sonos=Access. The nature of what is being accessed with vary from fan to fan depending on what's in their collection and what service(s) they subscribe to.
    Love my Sonos. Have had it since 2006 and recommend it highly.
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

Quote Originally Posted by Grimjack View Post
    The semantics here are problematic. No one "subscribes" to Sonos...they are not a subscription service. The Sonos hardware acts as a conduit to your music collection as well as an array of music subscription services and Internet radio. Theoretically, a person with a HUGE individual music collection who also subscribed to a music streaming service and perhaps some Internet radio could in fact have ACCESS to "all the music on earth" (or come pretty damn close) through their Sonos hardware. Sonos themselves have ZERO involvement in what gets released on what format and via which service. For the example you provided, if you ripped your vinyl to digital files, you'd have access to them through Sonos hardware. Sonos=Access. The nature of what is being accessed with vary from fan to fan depending on what's in their collection and what service(s) they subscribe to.
    Love my Sonos. Have had it since 2006 and recommend it highly.
    Well, I'd still like to see them explain their claim "all the music on earth."

Well, I'd still like to see them explain their claim "all the music on earth."
    Sonos also has line-in capabilities. For things like turntables, cassette decks and 8-track players. As a hardware platform, between digital and analog music formats plus digital music services, a Sonos system can (theoretically) access all the music on earth.
    By all means, quibble with the marketing slogan (Volkswagon's "Driver's Wanted" was full of it as is "Fly the Friendly Skies"...does that include North Korea?) but seriously...Sonos as hardware kicks ass. I use the line-in to send FM radio and television audio all around the house which is a great feature. I'll do the same for my new turntable once I hook it up. I have my lossless FLACs stored on a NAS unit which the Sonos indexes for the more..."esoteric" parts of my collection that aren't on a subscription service and I use TiDal (the lossless version of Spotify) for standard, in-print stuff. Sonos allows for multiple subscription logins so my daughter's Spotify can also play through our Sonos without issue, and my wife's Pandora account and my Pandora account can sit side-by-side on the Sonos menu.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimjack View Post
    Sonos also has line-in capabilities. For things like turntables, cassette decks and 8-track players. As a hardware platform, between digital and analog music formats plus digital music services, a Sonos system can (theoretically) access all the music on earth.
    By all means, quibble with the marketing slogan (Volkswagon's "Driver's Wanted" was full of it as is "Fly the Friendly Skies"...does that include North Korea?) but seriously...Sonos as hardware kicks ass. I use the line-in to send FM radio and television audio all around the house which is a great feature. I'll do the same for my new turntable once I hook it up. I have my lossless FLACs stored on a NAS unit which the Sonos indexes for the more..."esoteric" parts of my collection that aren't on a subscription service and I use TiDal (the lossless version of Spotify) for standard, in-print stuff. Sonos allows for multiple subscription logins so my daughter's Spotify can also play through our Sonos without issue, and my wife's Pandora account and my Pandora account can sit side-by-side on the Sonos menu.
    I just don't like anyone promoting the idea that and combination of streaming service will let a person listen to all music, as that's sadly far from true.

Also, a transistor radio could theoretically play all the music on earth too, if someone would broadcast it all. I don't care how good the hardware is - if a streaming service had "all the music on earth" I'd be all over it.

I just don't like anyone promoting the idea that and combination of streaming service will let a person listen to all music, as that's sadly far from true.

Also, a transistor radio could theoretically play all the music on earth too, if someone would broadcast it all. I don't care how good the hardware is - if a streaming service had "all the music on earth" I'd be all over it.
    It doesn't bother me to the same level but I can see how it might get under someone's skin. I do think that the majority of popular music listeners would in fact find that Sonos claim to be spot on--most of them don't have the depth, breadth, scope or niched nuances of our tastes, nor are many of them as actively involved in their listening as most of this site's denizens are. I know a lot of mainstream music listeners who are Sonos owners and subscribers to a streaming service. As far as they are concerned, they have access to all the music in the world--their tastes aren't broad enough to test the limitations. We here are in the minority. A really, really, really, really, really small minority.
    That said, I'm all for Sonos helping to bring streaming services beyond computers and mobile phones. And it does a great job in making ones existing digital music collection more accessible and manageable. In fact, combine it with Subsonic and you've got a killer digital music solution that you can use ANYWHERE.

I've sent a couple of messages to Sonos and also posted something on their Facebook page asking them to elaborate on what they mean when they claim that if I subscribe I'll have access to "all the music on earth." I told them I have albums on vinyl that have never been released on CD, and asked if I'll have access to them via Sonos.

Scamming bastards better come clean on this.
    Aw, c'mon...you wouldn't expect a little hyperbole from people like this...would you?

What if Netflix or Amazon claimed to have "all the movies in the world?" Wouldn't pretty much everyone call them on that? Not really different at all.

Heck yeah, call them on their false advertising.
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

"All the music we were able to scrape together..."

"all the movies of our world...caw...caw..."
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

"I DEMAND that you change your slogan to 'All the music in the world, unless you're into obscure prog.'

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk View Post
    "all the movies of our world...caw...caw..."
    Hilarious

If you download an album from the iTunes Store to your phone, when you connect your iPhone to iTunes on your PC can you copy those music files to another location on your PC? That is, can you copy the mp3s (if that's what they are ) where you want them?

If you download an album from the iTunes Store to your phone, when you connect your iPhone to iTunes on your PC can you copy those music files to another location on your PC? That is, can you copy the mp3s (if that's what they are ) where you want them?
    Yes. Just locate the download folder for iTunes (most likely in your user directory on your main drive) - I do it all the time. Hope this helps some.

Interesting news item on NPR a couple days ago. Music sales via iTunes are down 14% (I presume for all of 2014) which they think is due at least partly to streaming services like Spotify.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Yes. Just locate the download folder for iTunes (most likely in your user directory on your main drive) - I do it all the time. Hope this helps some.
    Interesting - I didn't realize they put them there. How nice and in-Apple like!

How about music files you've copied to your iPhone via iTunes? Can you copy them off of the phone?

You could use one of those programs like CopyTrans.

http://download.cnet.com/CopyTrans/3...-10426173.html
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    You could use one of those programs like CopyTrans.

http://download.cnet.com/CopyTrans/3...-10426173.html
    Have you used this? Work well? I hate dealing with iTunes and that ridiculous process to get music on my iPhone. I just want to drag and drop to a directory - but that's too hard to give us for Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Have you used this? Work well? I hate dealing with iTunes and that ridiculous process to get music on my iPhone. I just want to drag and drop to a directory - but that's too hard to give us for Apple.
    I think I helped a coworker install it a couple years ago. As I recall it worked well enough for what he wanted to accomplish (pulling music off his iPod), but I really don't have much experience with it.
    <sig out of order>

Fish posted a link to this on FB today:

https://www.gopetition.com/petitions...2FbQStyA%3D%3D

A couple of things I just don't understand:

-- The petition is addressed to Amazon, among others. Let's say Amazon sells a Fish CD for $15 (and he probably gets a decent or normal cut from this, right?), they also charge a semi-reasonable price for a digital version, right? Maybe $10 or something. Does Fish only get a tiny fraction of that? Somehow I thought Amazon paid artists more for digital sales than Spotify would since they're also paying them for the physical sales.

-- WHY do so many smaller artists who own the rights to their music allow Spotify to carry their music if they only get pennies per listen? I mean, there's an Iluvatar album on Spotify -- why?

-- WHY do so many smaller artists who own the rights to their music allow Spotify to carry their music if they only get pennies per listen? I mean, there's an Iluvatar album on Spotify -- why?
    I'm sure different artists have different reasons for allowing this, but I would surmise that since Iluvatar (never heard this band BTW) probably sold a whopping 0 - 5 copies of a CD/vinyl this month, they must feel its better to get it out there than to remain in complete obscurity. Gotta be innit to winnit? I dunno. Also, there are fans out there [I raise my hand] who hear a particular album on Spot and need to own the physical product - streaming it is not sufficient. I have bought an assload of (especially) classical albums this way. I just bought a used Ravel CD last week after test driving it on Spot. Its a touchy subject, I know. Cardboard Amanda is on Spot, and I let it remain on there for the reasons I stated above, plus I'm too lazy to go through the channels to take it down

I hope this helps. Feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience if you need any further assistance at any time.

^ I guess the better question is why an artist like Fish has his albums on Spotify -- and he does.

BTW, Iluvatar played at ProgDay a few years back.

^ I guess the better question is why an artist like Fish has his albums on Spotify -- and he does.
    I'm not sure my answer would be any different for Mr. Schindleria Praematurus - you would have to ask him yourself for the exact answer. But its not just Spotify, its also YouTube, Apple Music, Bandcamp, Pandora, Google Play, SoundCloud, Amazon Prime, etc etc. It's everywhere on the 'net. Also, maybe he likes the fact that his music is heard by somebody on YT or Apple Music, and then they read that the Fish is coming to a wine bar near you, and voila. So to answer your question - I have no fuckin idea why he has his music on these sites?