Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Karda Estra - recommendationd

Karda Estra - recommendationd

I know I am a bit late to the party- I just got my first Karda Estra album. I ordered the latest, time and stars, together with that Admirals Hard album. Actually Admirals Hard was my main reason for the order but sending just one album over the North Sea seemed such a waste of CO2 emission so I uncluded one more album.

I am enjoying Karda Estra more then Admirals Hard. Just abit more my cuppa[emoji3] .

I decided i need 2 more albums. Problem is; They have about a zillion albums out on bandcamp. 18 by the last count. Which two would you recommend?

Seriously, if you dig them, you can start anywhere.
    Richard is a fantastic composer and his beautiful fingerprints are over all his releases.
    My advice? You've started with his latest, Time And Stars, now work backwards.
    It's a wonderful journey.

I can heartily recommend Weird Tales. Really, really unique

Many thanks for the kind words all.

To clarify the discography a bit and assuming it's CDs you're after, here's a reverse order list of the albums 'proper' (excluding comps & rarities collections etc) to help you through. All are still available except 'Equilibrium' and I'm down to the last box of 'Eve' CDs. (As you have 'Time & Stars', you can ignore 'The Seas & The Stars' / 'Future Sounds' / 'Yondo' EPs/single as it compiles them all together):

TIME AND STARS (2016)
    STRANGE RELATIONS (2015)
    MONDO PROFONDO / NEW WORLDS (2013/2011 - 2 albums on 1 CD)
    WEIRD TALES (2009)
    THE LAST OF THE LIBERTINE (2007)
    THE AGE OF SCIENCE AND ENLIGHTENMENT (2006)
    VOIVODE DRACULA (2004)
    CONSTELLATIONS (2003)
    EQUILIBRIUM (Artimey Artemiev & Karda Estra collaboration – 2002)
    EVE (2001)
    THIRTEEN FROM THE TWENTY FIRST (2000)
    A WINTER IN SUMMERTIME (1998)

Hope that helps!
    Richard

PS - by your picture, I can see you like Cardiacs and Kavus collaborated with me on one tune on 'Strange Relations' and three tunes on 'Mondo Profondo / New Worlds' so that might be of interest too.

Thanks for the heads up! Somehow this band has eluded me. I'm listening to a YouTube playlist and loving what I'm hearing. I'll be making a purchase soon.

Thans for the recommendations guys.

I got Weird Tales and Strange Relations (through bandcamp). Listening now to Weird tales.

Well I've got a bunch of Karda Estra music, and can't pick a favorite. I'd recommend just getting a bunch of em too, and when you're ready, get a bunch more.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I have Strange Relations, Mondo Profondo & Eve and can heartily recommend all 3.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I feel that "EVE" stands alone in a world of it's own. I don't believe in describing it with tame words. It deserves much more than that. I sound profound, but why live in a world of surrealism by using basic fringe descriptions of surreal art around you? "EVE'...with all of it's uniqueness cannot truly be compared to anyone else's music, however it can be honestly rated along side some of the most unique modern composer's works in the last two decades. The compositions on "EVE' are completely timeless to me. When I'm in the mood to hear "EVE' , I may choose other artist's works to follow it....for example, "Le pavillon des passions humaines" by Julverne, "Maria T" by Balanescu Quartet, or "Chamber Symphony" by John Adams. In a sequence of personal listening pleasure...EVE falls into place with some of the greatest music of the world. On some days it's just EVE alone and nothing else to desire. "EVE" is stylistically a modern invention which surely compares to the aforementioned, but there remains to be a sound and style within it that separates it from everyone. VOIVODE DRACULA is also very unique. All Karda Estra releases are special to me, but I like EVE the most.

Thanks all - very kind.

And thanks Enid for those wonderful words. You never know what people will make of your creations, especially when a project is for the most part 'against the grain'. That 'Eve' has made such an impact upon you is wonderful and whilst I believe a composer should only really write for themselves, such feedback does make the circle seem complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Karda Estra View Post
    Thanks all - very kind.

And thanks Enid for those wonderful words. You never know what people will make of your creations, especially when a project is for the most part 'against the grain'. That 'Eve' has made such an impact upon you is wonderful and whilst I believe a composer should only really write for themselves, such feedback does make the circle seem complete.
    Thanks for your positive/supportive response and your understanding.

Digging 'Strange Relations' big time!

^ It's a magical record. I hope we'll hear more from the Wileman / Sears axis.

Karda Estra album recommendations? Well, lets see, start with the first one then keep going till you get to the current one and then keep going till you get to the next one. That's how much I like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    ^ It's a magical record. I hope we'll hear more from the Wileman / Sears axis.
    Many thanks everyone. There has been one track since 'Strange Relations' co-written by myself and Paul called 'Niall' and this is on the 'Time & Stars' album (and 'Future Sounds' EP):

Also, Paul has recorded two new drum tracks but this time I told him how I wanted the drums to go (mainly by introducing him to Keith Mansfield and Serge Gainsbourg pieces and a bit of skype air drumming). A new album is half completely finished (six tracks) plus three works in progress plus two empty spaces in my notebook. Should be out early next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    Seriously, if you dig them, you can start anywhere.
    Richard is a fantastic composer and his beautiful fingerprints are over all his releases.
    My advice? You've started with his latest, Time And Stars, now work backwards.
    It's a wonderful journey.
    Yes
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Many thanks everyone. There has been one track since 'Strange Relations' co-written by myself and Paul called 'Niall' and this is on the 'Time & Stars' album (and 'Future Sounds' EP):

Also, Paul has recorded two new drum tracks but this time I told him how I wanted the drums to go (mainly by introducing him to Keith Mansfield and Serge Gainsbourg pieces and a bit of skype air drumming). A new album is half completely finished (six tracks) plus three works in progress plus two empty spaces in my notebook. Should be out early next year.
    I have the Future Sounds EP, and was hoping for more - sounds like I won't be disappointed. Interesting collaboration technique!

I'll be looking forward to the new album.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    I have the Future Sounds EP, and was hoping for more - sounds like I won't be disappointed. Interesting collaboration technique!

I'll be looking forward to the new album.
    Thanks! Paul videoed my shameful skype drum 'display'. It may have been for his reference or my future humilation.

Paul has been a lot of help. After 'Mondo Profondo', I'd pretty much run out of ideas for KE but his enthusiasm kick-started it up again. His drumming on 'Strange Relations' presented writing challenges I'd not encountered before and I really enjoyed trying to get on what felt at times like a speeding train. That we found common ground between his style / influences and mine was just what I needed for a bit of fresh air.

Eve and Constellations are my favourites.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Eve and Constellations are my favourites.
    Ah, the glory years. Bought my first yacht with the royalties. The hit:

That's the yacht made entirely of heroin, isn't it? Money well spent.

^ It's a beaut, but verrrry slow.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    That's the yacht made entirely of heroin, isn't it? Money well spent.
    Yep, that's the one. Caused quite the stir down at the Swindon marina.

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    ^ It's a beaut, but verrrry slow.
    The gravitas of that piece is such that the world actually spins backwards when you listen to it. Like Uranus. Which coincidentally was the name of my yacht.

The gravitas of that piece is such that the world actually spins backwards when you listen to it. Like Uranus. Which coincidentally was the name of my yacht.
    Hey, I didn’t mean the song (which is wonderful), but the “vitamin h” yacht.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."