Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FEATURED CD: White Willow - Terminal Twilight

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Haven't heard the last two or three

I still hold their debut as their best (well at least the one I have most indulgence for)

I was bitterly disappointed with Sacrament and it's follow-up... Sounded too much like other prog bands were doing at the time (sorry Jakob )
    I disagree. Storm Season sounds like no band I've heard.

A wonderful album, easily my favorite of 2011. I especially enjoy the second side, including the CD bonus material--Searise, in particular, may be my single favorite prog track recorded in the new millennium. Nevertheless, the album as a whole ranks third for me in the WW discography, after Ignis Fatuus (my absolute favorite post-'70s prog album) and Ex Tenebris. I consider White Willow to be the most consistently stellar symphonic prog band currently in existence--while some albums appeal to me more than others, they all set the highest of standards for contemporary progressive songwriting, arranging, performance, and even sound quality. Thanks, Jacob, for all the great music!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Holm-Lupo View Post
    Wow - I'm glad to see that the album has held up for you guys :-)
    As for the Sacrament question: This year Termo Records will be reissuing the 3 first White Willow albums, Ignis Fatuus through Sacrament. Depending on how these fare, we might also be doing vinyl versions of these :-) And they'll all have some bonus material.

Jacob
    Hi, Jacob. Having recently lost a second copy of my Ignis Fatuus CD (though I have the wonderful vinyl you were kind enough to sell me last year), this is great news! I would like to ask a potentially annoying question, though--is there any chance that the great dynamics of the original releases will be left completely intact, and that no additional treble or upper midrange boost will be added? I ask because the sound of those first three CDs was really demonstration quality, and worry that the temptation to use the word "remastered" on the reissues may result in sonic compromises. On the other hand, it is clear that you are not a fan of "modern" mastering styles, so I still have hope!

Needless to say, I will be first in line for vinyl versions of any White Willow album!

Quote Originally Posted by NorthNY Mark View Post
    I would like to ask a potentially annoying question, though
    Not at all annoying, Mark! As you know, I am quite critical of the recent remaster epidemic. I was in doubt about remastering "Ignis Fatuus" for this Termo re-release, especially since the original mastering was by none other than Bob Katz. But - that was in 1995. The digital domain has moved on since then, and I thought we could actually improve on the sound without attacking the dynamics. Jens Petter Nilsen, who has mastered most of Termo's releases so far (including the latest White Willow, Wobbler and Tusmørke) took the job, and in my opinion he has done an outstanding job. The dynamics are intact, as is the analog, warm and open nature of the sound. But Jens Petter has worked a lot with the imaging, and the recording now has an unprecedented depth and width, that should be a revelation to all you audio freaks out there

I hope it will please you!

J.

Not at all annoying, Mark! As you know, I am quite critical of the recent remaster epidemic. I was in doubt about remastering "Ignis Fatuus" for this Termo re-release, especially since the original mastering was by none other than Bob Katz. But - that was in 1995. The digital domain has moved on since then, and I thought we could actually improve on the sound without attacking the dynamics. Jens Petter Nilsen, who has mastered most of Termo's releases so far (including the latest White Willow, Wobbler and Tusmørke) took the job, and in my opinion he has done an outstanding job. The dynamics are intact, as is the analog, warm and open nature of the sound. But Jens Petter has worked a lot with the imaging, and the recording now has an unprecedented depth and width, that should be a revelation to all you audio freaks out there

J.
    Wow--I can't wait to hear this now!

J.
    This is saddening news.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    This is saddening news.
    You're kidding me, right? You of all people, Ken, know how obsessed I am with sound. I would never do a remaster unless I was 100% sure it sounded better than the original.