Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD: White Willow - Terminal Twilight

FEATURED CD: White Willow - Terminal Twilight

Nice little album from WW.

Review from Sea of Tranquility (John O'Boyle):
    So White Willow has finally released their new album Terminal Twilight, album number six on the unsuspecting world. This is a band that oozes style and this is an album that is rather classy to say the least, seeing the band play with some very interesting themes and musical soundstages. The band has managed to capture an endearing soundstage that is captivating; musically poetic that is full of atmosphere.

To give some point of direction, the album opener Hawks Circle see's Sylvia Skjellestad offering a dimension that reminded me of Portishead, post rock married with a progressive edge and probably the most diverse song on the album although The Howling Windmoves in the same sort of sonic arena, where Snow Swept has a definite Ani DiFranco vocal vibe to it just not as dynamic, being no less powerful. The song itself just grows as the musical interludes dance around the listener's ears pleasantly as does all the songs that are presented here. Even the standout and sedate vocal approach of Tim Bowness on Kansas Regrets is fitting, creating an extra depth.

The notational approach has just the right amount of balance, at times being minimalistic, that just works on so many different levels. The climatic grandeur of Red Leaves is spellbinding being real proof of the bands credentials, not that they need proving. Even on the more urgent songs the band has managed to maintain an element of maturity which can be heard on the albums longest track Searise which has been meticulously built encapsulating some stunning musicianship.

Whether the band's music skirts the fringes of semi acoustic, full electric, gothic tinged folk, excursions into a more pop oriented world, entertainment is the order of the day, being music that any concerning prog fan can only love and admire. It is an album full of emotive guitar work, precise percussive interaction, nice melodic tones and fascinating time structures. It may not be an album that is as meticulous in approach as their last few albums but the band definitely had a plan which they have stuck too which has led to something rather special for their participating audience. 4.5 Stars

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I think this is their best album yet. Pretty cool to hear Tim Bowness singing on one track.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

My fave next to Sacrament.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

My favorite WW album, although for me, everything from Jacob & WW is superb.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

My top two as well.
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

I am with those who consider Terminal Twilight to be the best (so far) from White Willow, just an outstanding album.

And I also like them all, great band this is.

Jon Neudorf
    Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    My top two as well.
    Mine too.

Regards,
    Jon

My top two as well.
    Speaking of that; Sacrament is one of those "new prog" releases I damn sure would've loved to see reissued on vinyl. I believe it's 46 1/2 minutes long and thus fits the format quite perfectly. But it'll never happen.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Yeah this one is great, and I would say it is my favorite on most days, although I enjoy every WW album, particularly Sacrament. So cool too, to have a song for Tony Banks, in 'Red Leaves', with the haunting piano bits.

Love this one. Not just their best, but one of the best releases of 2011 (top 10). Red Leaves and Floor 67 are real highlights.

I was floored by this. WW’s best by a country mile. I was not expecting this to be anywhere near as good as it turned out being. A year and some change later, it still holds up and gets a lot of spins at Casa Progbear.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

‘“What blow, Goblin?” said Corinius.’ --E. R. Eddison

N.P.:“I Wait My Friend”-John G. Perry/Sunset Wading

It is their best; in a distance...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Speaking of that; Sacrament is one of those "new prog" releases I damn sure would've loved to see reissued on vinyl. I believe it's 46 1/2 minutes long and thus fits the format quite perfectly. But it'll never happen.
    Wow - I'm glad to see that the album has held up for you guys :-)
    As for the Sacrament question: This year Termo Records will be reissuing the 3 first White Willow albums, Ignis Fatuus through Sacrament. Depending on how these fare, we might also be doing vinyl versions of these :-) And they'll all have some bonus material.

Jacob

This is a fine album, and in fact I like all of White Willow.

But my favorite is still Signal to Noise.

Terminal Twilight is a wonderful listening experience.

TT may be my 3rd favorite. I like it, but I'm surprised how many are ranking it above Sacrament....with no love for Ignis Fatuus? I was a fan of that album just as their 2nd album was being released. Maybe there's a correlation between fondness for that album and when you first heard it?
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    TT may be my 3rd favorite. I like it, but I'm surprised how many are ranking it above Sacrament....with no love for Ignis Fatuus? I was a fan of that album just as their 2nd album was being released. Maybe there's a correlation between fondness for that album and when you first heard it?
    Well we have the same top three just in a different order.
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    ....with no love for Ignis Fatuus?
    It's second best to my list.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Great band, great album! My fave is still Sacrament, but this comes awfully close, I find them both to be rather brilliant efforts.

I think that the trifecta of Storm Season, Signal to noise and terminal twilight are all superb albums. But Terminal Twilight is currently my favorite of the three.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Nasser View Post
    I think that the trifecta of Storm Season, Signal to noise and terminal twilight are all superb albums. But Terminal Twilight is currently my favorite of the three.
    I like Signal to Noise and still spin it, but never fully warmed to it lto the level I have most of their other albums. Storm Season, I sort of forgot o mention it. It's like the heavier cousin to Sacrament. Ooh, that doesn't sound right, lol! But I do love it.

Bottom line, White Willow has been one of my favorite of the "3rd wave" bands since around 2000, they have been consistantly great albums that I get a lot of mileage out of.

Great album I thought. Here's my take over on the blog.

Highly underrated 2011 album. This and Storm Season are my favorites. Jacob and company always come through with first class releases, and TT continues the tradition in fine form. Sad, melancholy, dark, folk and with the usual blend of searing guitars, and mellotron. Symphonic prog beauty of the highest caliber. And it's wonderful to have Sylvia back. SHE is the voice of White Willow. Hey Jacob, what's happening in 2013 in your music world? New Willow, Opium Cartel, or both? I always look forward to new music from you and your friends.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    Hey Jacob, what's happening in 2013 in your music world?
    Well, I'm planning on releasing the 2nd Opium Cartel album, which has a lot of the usual suspects on it, and some interesting fresh faces. Like I said earlier in the thread we are also prepping re-releases of "Ignis Fatuus", "Ex Tenebris" and "Sacrament" on Termo Records this year. I have some material for a new White Willow album, but I'll start focusing seriously on that when I'm done with the Opium Cartel stuff. Hoping for a 2014 release for the new White Willow

Again, it's wonderful to see such appreciation for a record that was so much fun to make!

Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor
    My top two as well.
    Haven't heard the last two or three

I still hold their debut as their best (well at least the one I have most indulgence for)

I was bitterly disappointed with Sacrament and it's follow-up... Sounded too much like other prog bands were doing at the time (sorry Jakob )
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.